Flight Director Mode in a STec/G1000 Ovation 3?

ScubaMan

Good Afternoon

I have a 2007 Mooney Ovation 3 with a G1000/STec 55X installation. Does anyone know if you can use the flight director on the G1000 WITHOUT the autopilot engaged? I have seen aircraft with FD AP buttons to separate the functions but can not find anything in the POH or the AutoPilot supplement / handbook.

Also, Is there a way to upgrade the STec to allow Indicated Airspeed Hold (IAS) instead of vertical airspeed (VS) hold during climbs and descents.

Thanks for any advice.....

Mike

N871TX

I found the list of the STC's.  5000 isn't on the list.  It isn't even for pistons.  It's designed for jets and turboprops.

http://www.s-tec.com/Documentation/Shared%20Documents/STC%20Approvals/STC_List.pdf

20, 30, 30 ALT, 55/55x (Automatic Electric Trim System), and Manual Electric Trim.

If you're thinking of spending that kind of big money, just upgrade to the best autopilot available, the GFC700.  It's designed to do all the things you're looking for and there is an STC.

It is true there is an STC. And it's currently the only way to bring WAAS and the potential for ADS-B into these birds. But that STC costs around $70K last time I checked, so this airman is waiting and pushing Mooney to do the WAAS certification for the G1000/S-TEC combo for these planes, which they are currently exploring.

Yes, that's the last estimate I got when I was looking into this a few months ago.  There's another thread about this where I mentioned my discussions with Paul Keener at Mooney.  They know they have an issue with a fairly significant number of G1000 planes that are in this dilemma. So for now we just keep pushing.

• Like 1

Jeff, I have been on Mooneys case regarding this issue (but mildly and nicely)! If you and the rest of us who have fallen in this black hole can stay on them maybe we'll get some progress. I've been assured that they have not forgot about us and hopefully there will be a resolution. As you know they either need to recertification our planes or get an affordable STC for us. The actual cost is not all that much if they work with Garmin and the FAA....without this then we're in for 60-70k for the GFC and WASS boxes. I think if they can get us certified WASS with the 55x the the cost would be significantly less according to the Garmin engineer

And Mooney Tech. I'm not holding my breath but if we all get together maybe we will be heard by the new owners.

Jeff, I have been on Mooneys case regarding this issue (but mildly and nicely)! If you and the rest of us who have fallen in this black hole can stay on them maybe we'll get some progress. I've been assured that they have not forgot about us and hopefully there will be a resolution. As you know they either need to recertification our planes or get an affordable STC for us. The actual cost is not all that much if they work with Garmin and the FAA....without this then we're in for 60-70k for the GFC and WASS boxes. I think if they can get us certified WASS with the 55x the the cost would be significantly less according to the Garmin engineer

And Mooney Tech. I'm not holding my breath but if we all get together maybe we will be heard by the new owners.

David Kayden is spearheading the "low pressure constantly applied" theory with Mooney International on this issue. Dave, are you on this board? In any event, one might be well to contact him if you have a g1000/stec 55 Ovation. Dimondan is spot on with your options to date. Hopefully, some efforts will be spent to alleviate the pain those planes affected will have to go thru by the factory.

That said, the GFC700 is a thing of beauty

Mike Elliott

MCFI

I bought my O2 betting on a solution. I have had several conversations in the past with Don Maxwell and he spoke with STEC and the factory. I spoke to Tom Bowen about it at this years MAPA convention. He was not fully aware of the G1000/STEC issue being a newbie but he promised to look into as he told me he heard the same question a few times that night. I spoke to Fred Ahler of Premier not too long ago and this subject was discussed. All of these top Mooney sources told me it is being addressed but not did not know of how and how much $. My point is the movers of the Mooney world know we want a path. Should we reach out to Mr. Chen? I would just like to know there will be a path and would appreciate some factory guidance. Fyi, I don't believe anyone can retrofit a GFC. It was a Mooney service center offering of which no longer is in existence.

Russ

Russ, A few yrs. ago I was in discussion with the engineers at Mooney (at that time very few employees were on site).  I almost went along with the conversion but my better half put a halt to that, it was the Factory that would be doing the install. I spoke with Fred A at Premiere and he tole me they were not authorized to do the install. my wifes worry was that if my plane was in Kerrville and they went into bankruptcy I would have difficulty getting it back, Fred A also was in her corner and was urging me to get Mooneys authorization in writing for Premiere to do the install, they declined, stating it was certified with the stec and G-1000 and end of conversation at that time. I assume we can only keep up the pressure or consider a class action lawsuit ....2020 is coming fast..I would join in any joint efforts if one becomes available...