Stiff throttle cable

50 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I was using tri flow for mine, but I eventually threw in the towel and got a new cable from Maxwell.  My IA installed it.  From what I've read, the inner sheath starts getting worn.  Even after I lubed it, it was never as smooth as the new cable is now.

Mine was a piece of the friction lock fiber getting between the inner cable and outer sheath

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

That begs the question of the liability trail. As an owner produced part, are you now accepting this role from both McFarland and Mooney?

This is exactly the point.  If you gave me (an A&P) your airplane and said, "Fix my throttle cable.", I would have to get approved parts from either the manufacturer or a PMA producer to repair your airplane.  They have the responsibility for ensuring the quality of their part.  I have the responsibility for ensuring applicability and a proper installation.

If you said, "Install this part that I acquired/produced for MY airplane", then the responsibility for the quality of the part is on you, although I would certainly inspect it to ensure its applicability to your airframe.  (I would also put a discerning eye on its quality for both of our sakes.). The FAA doesn't mind because it's YOUR airplane and you accept the responsibility for the quality of the part.  It is still my responsibility to ensure it is installed properly.

2 hours ago, rbridges said:

I was using tri flow for mine, but I eventually threw in the towel and got a new cable from Maxwell.  My IA installed it.  From what I've read, the inner sheath starts getting worn.  Even after I lubed it, it was never as smooth as the new cable is now.

The aircraft has 2800 hours total. I believe the cables are original. I have had the airplane for almost one year. It turns out that as the weather got colder, the cables got stiffer.  The weather has now warmed up and the cables are much easier to operate. My annual is coming up in just over a month, and we will take a close look at the cables then. Probably try to lubricate them and then see what happens. Thanks for all the good info .

19 minutes ago, Peter T said:

The aircraft has 2800 hours total. I believe the cables are original. I have had the airplane for almost one year. It turns out that as the weather got colder, the cables got stiffer.  The weather has now warmed up and the cables are much easier to operate. My annual is coming up in just over a month, and we will take a close look at the cables then. Probably try to lubricate them and then see what happens. Thanks for all the good info .

That's exactly what I experienced with my prop cable.  You can probably go a while lubing it.  I never ran into a situation where it became a safety issue, but I saw the writing on the wall.  Maxwell drop shipped it to me, and it was $402.19 back in 2016.  That cable was for C-G models.

10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Direct from McFarlane is perfectly legal. 

Yeah, I don’t disagree that you can send them yours to duplicate or purchase the ones they have pma for.  Otherwise they sell to Mooney who sells to you.