CHANGING ORIGINAL TRIM WHEEL TO THE LARGER KNOBBY TRIM WHEEL

jezzie

I have a 1977 J with the smaller trim wheel. After 35 plus years the mechanism appears to be wearing out and will need some repair.

I would like to exchange this one and install a newer style larger trim wheel (which I happen to have from a 79 model) with the larger wheel that has knobs for easier use. my AME here in Canada is reluctant to exchange the trim mechanisms unless there is an approved Mooney retro for this change.

I would ask if anyone of the Mooney service experts is aware of any factory retro fit drawings. I could not find one on the Mooney web site. I am going to have to remove and possibly replace in any event,  the one that I have will fit in the same spot.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Eldon

Eldon,

I'm in the midst of finishing my engine control transplant, which morphed into changing the entire nose wheel well assembly, lower console, ventilation system, flap/trim indicator cables, etc.  A big project!  My IA mechanic has classified it as a minor mod and we're doing it with a log book entry because all of the parts are coming from a newer M20J and thus they are "approved" by virtue of being engineered and produced by Mooney for the same model airplane.  The trim wheel mechanism would certainly fall under the same course of logic, at least for him.  I'm sure there are no Mooney retrofit drawings for stuff like this.

Try that logic on him, and if he refuses then find another mechanic.  It is really, really simple.

Good luck

I bought the trim wheel and got the mechanism that goes with it. I think because the wheel is bigger that the chain is longer and the trim mechanism is different too. I haven't installed it yet. Anyways I do like Scott does. If the part is an improvement such as on later models it goes on as a minor mod with log entry .