Mooney Airplane Company not at AirVenture 2010

Mooney has chosen, for financial reasons, not to formally display again this year.  However, Stacey Ellis, along with Wayne Fischer and Jennie Mitchell will be at Oshkosh, making appearances at the MAPA tent.   Let's all wear our Mooney shirts, caps, etc. in support of Mooney Airplane Company and our Mooneys.  

Please come by the MAPA tent to see Trey and Lela, the Mooney Airplane folks, drink some famous MAPA Lemonaide and talk about Mooneys!  See you there!

Indeed it is a sad time for Mooney Airplane Company.  It was so difficult last year at Osh to NOT see Mooney there.  It was the talk of the week for all Mooney enthusiasts, as well as many others.  Given that all the other small plane folks were there fully set up and displaying, was a tough pill to swallow. 

As we all know, Mooney has been through tough times throughout its history, beginning with Al Mooneys loss of his company from almost the very beginning...... and through all the subsequent owners/CEO's since then.   Here we are, once again, wondering about the future of this terrific American aircraft and this great Al and Art Mooney American legacy.

I, as well as many, many others during Oshkosh last year, agreed that when times are low, you spend your very last dollar on advertising.  We mostly felt that Mooney should have been there in full force.  However, the CEO of Mooney decided otherwise.  He chose to not spend the several hundred thousands of dollars on that one week show, and instead use those funds to pay off Mooney bills, keep as many folks employed as possible, and continue to sell the stock of completed aircraft on hand. 

With that in mind, Mooney Airplane Company has been successful this last year.  I wouldn't begin to know the financial details of all of this but, the shop is still open and all the planes were sold..........hooray!!!  I believe there are approx. 8 aircraft at the factory which are in various states of assembly.  Deposits are still being taken on 2011 models and people are still working at this most unique Kerrville factory.  The factory is focused right now on service and parts. They have been getting a lot of insurance work, and are establishing a good reputation for that. As well, I am told from Chad Nelson, the VP of Operations, that in June the average turn around on parts is 24 hours, from order to fabrication to shipping. That is quite a feat.  How many businesses have actually gone under from these economic tough times?  At this time Mooney is still standing!

You are correct, sad times indeed.  That is part of the reason we formed the Mooney Ambassadors just a little under a year ago.  Sitting there at the MAPA both watching and hearing all the dismay about Mooney and why they weren't there.   With all this Mooney passion floating aimlessly around at this huge General Aviation event, what could we possibly do.   Jolie, being one of the most creative persons, passionate for mankind, liberal forward thinking, and being one of the most naturally helpful persons I've ever known, said simply "why can't we all become Ambassadors for Mooney?"   We have no financial interest in this company, we are not stockholders [if there was such a thing for Mooney], we are not employed by this company, we have no relatives that work at Mooney...............what do we have that draws us to Mooney?  Again, the answer was simple...........we all have this deep emotional and passionate investment of this airplane with its tail on backwards! 

What does the future hold for the future production/support of our beloved Mooney airplane and this company?  We really have no idea either.  What can we do to try and help in some small way?  Well, in a way for us Mooney lovers, the Ambassador program is therapeutic.  It allows us to get out there and talk about the Mooneys to folks that may not know much about them and to share our passions about this most awesome airplane! Who doesn't love to talk and brag about their airplane? 

What a great opportunity to do this in mass.  Fly our Mooneys to airport days, fly them to air shows or to any airport event where the flying and/or non-flying public is present and brag about Mooneys!  Fold in the ability to spread the word to all these people about the countless values of General Aviation and General Aviation airports, and we can help Mooney and GA too.

Mooney Airplane Company has been very successful and will continue to be so.  Look at what we are all flying.  From the Mites, from the original M20's on up to the current Acclaim!  WOW!  No wonder we are all so passionate!  Go Mooney!!

The Mooney Ambassadors will be presenting at Oshkosh this year.  July 30th at 2:30 at the GAMA II pavilion.  If you are going to AirVenture, please wear your Mooney garb all week, and please come see the workshop.  It would be nice to meet you.

I'm as big-a fan of Mooney aircraft as they come, but all of Mooney’s problems can not be blamed on the economic downturn.  Although Mooney products have evolved over the years, the company has not innovated as quickly as the competition; be it the Corvalis or the Cirrus SR20/22 line.  Mooney’s products look essentially the same as they did ten years ago (sans avionics upgrades).

Over the past decade, Mooney has failed to create a compelling argument that the Mooney line is superior in all respects not just a few niche ones. 

The Mooney's strongest selling points have always been its speed and efficiency.  These attributes appeal to purists, but purists aren't always the folks with an extra $650K burning a hole in their pockets.  Arguably the Cirrus line and, to a lesser extent, the Corvalis is Mooney's only competition.  Why has Cirrus been so successful in product deliveries when at the same time, Mooney has continued to lose market share.  The answer is simple…Functional aesthetics, lack of a BRS and absence of a corporate message of innovation.

Doctors, Dentists, business owners and other professionals that can afford a new High Performance SE aircraft want the luxury and convenience they get in their BMW 5/7 series or Lexus SUV...Not to mention the safety (albeit "perceived") of a ballistic parachute and fixed landing gear.  Business rule #1 - give the customer what they want.

The three things Mooney must do if it wants to complete in the market are:

1. Address Functional Aesthtics:

·       Complete redesign of the interior and instrument panel.  The interior needs to “look” Modern.  Not like an updated “six pack” panel that just happens to be glass (as it does now).

·       Doors on both sides of the cockpit and a larger, lower baggage door.

2. Incorporate a BRS (ballistic recovery system) into its product designs

·       Like it or not the BRS appeals to perspective buyers…or at least their wives.  Back to rule #1 of sales.  Mooney needs this as an option ASAP.

3.  A corporate message of innovation

·       As it stands right now, Mooney Aircraft Company is on life support and the saline drip is about to run dry.  Mooney desperately needs to generate buzz.  Mooney should take one of its 8 partially built Acclaims and use it as a mule to build a concept development model.  Incorporate new, innovative design concepts and show the buying public that Mooney still has a future and can compete with the competition.  

·       Two examples of easy to do innovation: Partner with Lycoming, use the IE2 Engine and GAMI to be a test bed for its UL100 fuel

·       Built it, show the product, generate interest and start taking deposits.

Bottom line:  In business if your not making money, or at least setting the conditions to make money, you won't be in business long.  Mooney desparately needs bold leadership.  The life support strategy is doomed to fail and the clock is ticking.

I like George's thinking.  Clear marketing genious.

Somebody parked an SR22 next to my M20R yesterday.  My non-pilot friend was immediately attracted to the SR-22.  It is big and beautiful next to the sleek M20R.  His words not mine.  He noted the door(s), the side stick and of course the two large Garmin displays.  Tough comparison since my machine is 15 years old.  The SR22 did not list it's age.

People won't usually tell you they don't like your house or your car.....but....

they will honestly tell you what they don't like when they first get into your plane.....

For my next Mooney, I would like the following included:

[1] Two doors.

[2] Single lever control.  Fadec / Modern control (unfortunately, we won't have LOP v ROP debates anymore)

[3] Glass cockpit with integrated autopilot and synthetic vision.  Flying IFR is difficult enough knowing where you are and where you are going all while speaking rapid fire with ATC. 

[4] An instrument panel designed for glass that is Cadillac spectacular.  It probably costs the same to build an uncomfortable cockpit as it does to build a comfortable one.

[5] An easy opening cowling, so I can admire my non-oil consuming engine.

[6] Please make sure it does not lose any of it's flying qualities, speed or efficiency. 

Get started today, and I'll be there in about 15 years to by a second hand one....

I think there are still a few questions about the SR22 and C400 out there. 

[1] Is there a difference in age limit on aluminum airplanes compared to plastic ones?  Is anyone leaving these outside?

[2] Is there an age limit on the ballistic chute?  What is the rebuild or replacement cost for that?

[3] I didn't look, but I don't think big and beautiful has a good speed / efficiency rating ....

-a-

I agree 100% that Mooney does not convey the message of innovation - and desperately needs to.  But things like BRS, FADEC, and side-stick are not innovative to me - more like features that just make the plane more appealing to the masses - make it more car-like in terms of operation.

To me innovation is what drove the original Mooney design - laminar flow airfoil, backward tail, flush-mounted revits, rotating tail section, tubular frame, etc.  In the vintage days, Mooney stood out because of the superior aerodynamic design and efficiency - properties targeted at making the plane better, not necessarily at being more appealing.  Now a days, those same properties make a Mooney seem bland, and the market appears to be moving toward having flashy gadgets and car-like equipment.

Mooney's main recent "innovations" have been things like glass cockpit, more powerful enging, and slight aerodynamic tweaks, which leads me to believe that they have been long clinging to the philosophy that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  It's time for some new, bold innovations - targeted at making the plane better, not just more appealing to the masses.  Then the more appealing part will naturally follow, as it did 40+ years ago.

But, as my post is proof, not all consumers want the same thing - and that makes things difficult...

Just because Cirrus has a ballistic chute doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Adding that to a revamped Mooney would be a waste of engineering time & money.

Mooney needs a new leader who has new ideas, and the personal power to make things happen.

As a mental exercise, what would Steve Jobs (Apple, Inc.) do if he took over Mooney?

- Killer avionics set into a very easy-to-use panel ?

- Internet connectivity at each seat ?

- Turboprop option, with top speed 400+ KTAS ?

- Fly-By-Wire option ?

- Pressurized cabin option ?

- Gull-wing doors on each side ?

Chuck M.

Quote: Skywarrior

[ ... ] what would Steve Jobs (Apple, Inc.) do if he took over Mooney? - Killer avionics set into a very easy-to-use panel ? - Internet connectivity at each seat ? - Turboprop option, with top speed 400+ KTAS ? - Fly-By-Wire option ? - Pressurized cabin option ? - Gull-wing doors on each side ? Chuck M.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't give up on Mooney just yet!  Mooney needs to start producing the venerable 201 (M20J).  Roll out a new J and then we'll see how many plastic airplanes Cirrus or anybody else will sell!

Don't give up on Mooney just yet!  Mooney needs to start producing the venerable 201 (M20J).  Roll out a new J and then we'll see how many plastic airplanes Cirrus or anybody else will sell!

• 2 weeks later...

Re:  New J

It'll never happen.  I asked the Mooney guys at the AOPA convention why they don't do exactly that and they said the airframe alone would cost 90k to build.  By the time you add the engine, avionics, etc., you have a plane that isn't all that much cheaper than an Acclaim.  You can charge more for an Acclaim, so there it is.  Now you all can go back to discussing relief tubes.

Quote: 16LPilot

Re:  New J

It'll never happen.  I asked the Mooney guys at the AOPA convention why they don't do exactly that and they said the airframe alone would cost 90k to build.  By the time you add the engine, avionics, etc., you have a plane that isn't all that much cheaper than an Acclaim.  You can charge more for an Acclaim, so there it is.  Now you all can go back to discussing relief tubes.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, so many comments, so many memories.  I've never posted on this board...so here's my first. 

I remember my Mooney being at Mooney Airplane Company for nearly a year.  It was Stacey Ellis who after nearly that year discovered with Dye Penetrant that the case in my engine that had just been overhauled due to a crack...still had a crack after overhaul. :) 

Mike, Bill Grebe, Bill Wheat, all the great people at Mooney.  Some of them were incredibly hospitable.

Todd had convinced me to take my airplane there for airframe repair and guaranteed it would be complete after three weeks.  It would take 3 engine removals, lots of parts being lost, 2 CEO's, countless mechanics and IA's to get a simple repair finished. In the meantime, I remember visiting the airplane multiple times with promises of completion time and again. 

Mooney had just become a pet project for a billionaire, his son, and a religious group out of New york from what I remember. 

Like Clockwork, people would start work immediately at 7/730 (I forget).  Like clockwork, they would take their breaks on time.  Like clockwork, they would leave.  No second or third shifts. No after hours.  No drive to get it done.  Lunches would be the same way. 

The conversation about bringing the J model back was a constant one.  Management didn't think it would be viable.  "Too much money" they said. 

Mooney simply didn't have the drive to innovate, period.  Todd Bates was hated, he had some decent ideas, some never came to fruition.  

The metal / patterns for older mooneys?  Sold to Mexico as scrap metal.  Tigger, the M20 that was part of Mooney's history as a military demonstrator? Given to a museum.  

The ability to come up with documents for the gear legs to take an M20k 231 to be moved to an encore?  gone - we would use the Mustang gear to have that STC, but no one found or cared for the paperwork. 

A Second door? Pshaw.

Now - buying an airplane in Spain to enter the Sport Pilot market, *that* would be sexy.  Talking to Panavia so that would be a twin mooney, maybe.  The M20 frame was about as far as the airframe would go.  Simple tweaks...a twin turbo here, a G1000 there. 

The very airplane that gave the company its fame would be or will be no longer.  

We discussed many times how the same factory with the same amount of staff would knock out hundreds more airplanes in the same annual time period.  No one would listen.  A lot of the workers in Kerrville had gotten lazy.  Management and the workers didn't trust each other.  After so many layoffs, the trust between management and the worker just wasn't there - it was simply another job.  Management refused to pay attention. 

I'd like to believe there's a turnaround for Mooney.  I don't think there will be.  It's a matter of time before parts continue to grow more expensive, or Mooney folds and a group of owners choose to buy the company...maybe, maybe not.  Paul at Lasar already builds a lot of our parts for us.  We all know what happened with the Modworks debacle.  Lone Star will continue to support us. 

The ONLY worse investment (other than an airplane and a boat) is an AIRPLANE COMPANY.  Globetrotter, THAT was depressing, but thank you for sharing.  Innovation, Marketing, Service before AND after the sale a flexible workforce AND most importantly a management team with capitol and vision appear to be/have been tools missing from MAC's toolbox.  I hear the orchestra tuning and the fat lady clearing her throat...It's the perfect storm in Kerrville.

• 1 year later...