Garmin Flightstream 210 (The Foreflight killer)

bnicolette

As much as I like Forelfight I am worried that Flightstream with it's ability to transfer flight plans right to the GNS series navigators is going to be a real draw for a lot of us.  It sure is for me.  I thought about buying Voiceflight for a while (glad I didn't now as they're out of business) just so I wouldn't have to add all those waypoints on airways manually.  Well now with Flightstream that is now possible but you've obviously got to be running Garmin Pilot as well.  Damn!!  Now what the heck do I do?????

Pull that 530 Brett and stick a 770 in. You can do the same with Connected Pilot since you have an Aspen PFD? It's only money...

That's my dilemma, I don't like ForeFlight and use Garmin Pilot. Since I have a GTN, I can go with the Flightstream solution but I am going to need to have a standalone solution for ADS-B display on my Aspen.

I'm coming to a crossroads regarding ADS-B and I'm not sure which road I'm going to choose.  I currently have 530W/430W/330ES, so I'm pretty heavily invested in Brand G.  I have steam gauges to the left and no HSI currently.  I want a PFD, but I don't want a G500.  I don't want/need/or want to feed an MFD since I have plenty of situational awareness on the panel already, plus a tablet.  

I demo'd Garmin Pilot + GDL-39 on my east coast trip last year and found it satisfactory.  It is probably better this year.  (I have been down for upgrades and engine overhaul all year).  I could be happy with GP, and the Flightstream enhancements with GNS connectivity are VERY attractive.

Eventually I'd like to have a PFD and an installed ADS-B receiver, but since I already have a 330ES I don't need an all-in-one expensive box.  I would like to get ADS-B weather on my tablet and on my PFD to be named later.  Ditto for traffic.  Any suggestions on how to do all of this???  I have a feeling if I go Aspen it will be essentially walled-off from the Garmin stuff except for flight plan info, and if I get an Aspen ADS-B box, it won't be able to display on a tablet as well.  If Garmin would give us a G3X in the certified world (or the feds let us) that would be ideal.

Oh, it's not that bad!  

Bill (Mr. Dunn), although I'm not interested in the 770, I am now highly interested in the Flightstream 210 given I have a 530 and am relatively happy with the setup.  Most of my legs are 2 hours or less and given only a couple fixes in my clearance the 530 still works just fine.   I just really like the idea of the connectivity between iPad and 530.  What are the install costs of the Flightstream 210?  Do you know yet?  Anxious to hear back.

I am upset that I would have to give up my beloved Foreflight and Stratus 2 but I just don't see Foreflight ever having the connectivity between the iPad and the 530?   Thoughts?

Good thing my partner has the new GDL39 and our traffic system works great with Garmin Pilot also with aural traffic alerts.

I did a PALS (compassion/medical) flight the other day to HPN and the flight out would've required a lot of knob twisting on the 530.  Luckily it was VFR and as soon as we were clear of the TFR we cancelled IFR and took the straight line home.  However, the Flightstream would've come in handy.

As much as I like Forelfight I am worried that Flightstream with it's ability to transfer flight plans right to the GNS series navigators is going to be a real draw for a lot of us. It sure is for me. I thought about buying Voiceflight for a while (glad I didn't now as they're out of business) just so I wouldn't have to add all those waypoints on airways manually. Well now with Flightstream that is now possible but you've obviously got to be running Garmin Pilot as well. Damn!! Now what the heck do I do?????

What's an airway? ; ) Just plug in your next waypoint as you go. In the Northeast your routing is going to change 5 times before your destination anyway. And we get direct in the sticks. It's just another expensive toy.

I'm coming to a crossroads regarding ADS-B and I'm not sure which road I'm going to choose. I currently have 530W/430W/330ES, so I'm pretty heavily invested in Brand G. I have steam gauges to the left and no HSI currently. I want a PFD, but I don't want a G500. I don't want/need/or want to feed an MFD since I have plenty of situational awareness on the panel already, plus a tablet.

I demo'd Garmin Pilot + GDL-39 on my east coast trip last year and found it satisfactory. It is probably better this year. (I have been down for upgrades and engine overhaul all year). I could be happy with GP, and the Flightstream enhancements with GNS connectivity are VERY attractive.

Eventually I'd like to have a PFD and an installed ADS-B receiver, but since I already have a 330ES I don't need an all-in-one expensive box. I would like to get ADS-B weather on my tablet and on my PFD to be named later. Ditto for traffic. Any suggestions on how to do all of this??? I have a feeling if I go Aspen it will be essentially walled-off from the Garmin stuff except for flight plan info, and if I get an Aspen ADS-B box, it won't be able to display on a tablet as well. If Garmin would give us a G3X in the certified world (or the feds let us) that would be ideal.

Mostly all ADS-B "boxes" have a version available that is "in only" which means that your 330es will not be a waste. Now before you go get a GDL-88 for all your garmin stuff you need to decide which PFD you want. The reason is if you decide to go aspen you can get the free flight box that can come with built in WiFi. That unit will display on your aspen and the tablet (depending on the app you use)

What's an airway? ; ) Just plug in your next waypoint as you go. In the Northeast your routing is going to change 5 times before your destination anyway. And we get direct in the sticks. It's just another expensive toy.

You hit the nail on the head.  If you spend all that time twisting in some of the fixes that you've been given, then it changes again. then again, then again, it would be nice just to make those changes on the iPad and then send them over to the 530.  All my flying is in the northeast and it's no big deal, it would just be a nice "gadget" to make things a bit simpler.   Well maybe simpler??  So much stuff in the cockpit these days.

Oh, it's not that bad!

Bill (Mr. Dunn), although I'm not interested in the 770, I am now highly interested in the Flightstream 210 given I have a 530 and am relatively happy with the setup. Most of my legs are 2 hours or less and given only a couple fixes in my clearance the 530 still works just fine. I just really like the idea of the connectivity between iPad and 530. What are the install costs of the Flightstream 210? Do you know yet? Anxious to hear back.

I am upset that I would have to give up my beloved Foreflight and Stratus 2 but I just don't see Foreflight ever having the connectivity between the iPad and the 530? Thoughts?

Good thing my partner has the new GDL39 and our traffic system works great with Garmin Pilot also with aural traffic alerts.

Brett -- Aspen's Connected Pilot will work with your Aspen PFD feeding your route to the the 530 via ForeFlight. What won't work is any cross feed to a second GNS because Garmin changed the firmware which now prevents it.

http://www.connectedpanel.com/hardware

Garmin however has a lower price point (at least projected price point).

Oh, it's not that bad!

Bill (Mr. Dunn), although I'm not interested in the 770, I am now highly interested in the Flightstream 210 given I have a 530 and am relatively happy with the setup. Most of my legs are 2 hours or less and given only a couple fixes in my clearance the 530 still works just fine. I just really like the idea of the connectivity between iPad and 530. What are the install costs of the Flightstream 210? Do you know yet? Anxious to hear back.

I am upset that I would have to give up my beloved Foreflight and Stratus 2 but I just don't see Foreflight ever having the connectivity between the iPad and the 530? Thoughts?

Call me Monday at the shop (610)-436-1200 I have the numbers there but I believe it is the same amount of labor as the GDL88 because it has an AHRS and has to be mounted a certain way. It's supposed to be released next month.

The new owner will answer at that number, he is taking every call that comes in right now.

If you don't have an ADS-B solution yet the flightstream will interconnect to the GDL88 as well as the 530.

Mostly all ADS-B "boxes" have a version available that is "in only" which means that your 330es will not be a waste. Now before you go get a GDL-88 for all your garmin stuff you need to decide which PFD you want. The reason is if you decide to go aspen you can get the free flight box that can come with built in WiFi. That unit will display on your aspen and the tablet (depending on the app you use)

Thanks, Bill.  As far as I understand it, Garmin only has the GDL-88 for panel-mount solutions, correct?  And it is an in/out box, so of course being a frugal Mooney owner I don't want to pay for another "out" since I already have the 330ES as my "out" box.  I've thought about soft-installing the GDL-39 somewhere and adding a Flightstream, but will wait until I choose a PFD product.  Tough call right now... I am really hoping we get some regulatory relief so there will be more PFD options, but I expect I won't be patient enough (or live long enough) for that to happen before I upgrade...

• Like 1

The GDL88 is the only garmin panel mount solution but as I said you can get the "in" only version for a little cheaper. The freeflight box has an "in" only version as well but it is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the in and out box right now because of the deal they have going on.