Creating custom M20C panel for flight simulator

ryoder

I am creating a custom 2d panel in flight simulator for my 65 M20C.

I bought Panel Studio, took a pic of my panel, and spent about two hours messing around with it and this is what I got the first time I ran FSX with the new panel.

4Te1R.jpg

I need to work on it obviously but it is totally flyable right now.  I am going to bring the panel down lower and make sure the outside view displays appropriately.  I probably just have to set some transparency mask around the dash.

My intent is to fly this thing on instruments in simulated IFR while online with live ATC.

• Like 1

I just updated the panel design and the pic. I haven't had time to fly it yet though. I need to design a custom gauge for the manifold pressure and fuel flow gauge. That will take some time. I left the right side of the panel out because the only thing over there is a egt and suction gauge.

• Like 1

Wow! That doesn't look too bad!
Programming your own custom gauges? Well, that sounds like a challenge...
I repainted the Carenado Mooney to look as much as the Mooney I fly in real life but I never cared to dive that deep into the FSX internals to modify the panel... - maybe I should give it try in winter and go for an "original" panel, too. 
Thanks very much for the inspiration!  :-)

• Like 1

I spent some more time with it tonight and ran into some issues. I want to customize the throttle quadrant with my old fashioned metal controls but the existing quadrant is eight bit so I'll need to start from scratch on that. I already cut out three knobs and when they replace the eight bit knobs the rich color drops out and it looks had. So then I moved on to trying to digitally remove the yoke. That is not easy to do at all and still make it look correct. I'll have to work on that. I also want more vfr visibility so I need to move the panel down a bit and I think I will install a one piece windshield since I have funny money in flight simulator :)

I am creating my first custom gague now, the fuel flow and manifold pressure gague. It is time consuming because I decided to recreate the entire gague in vector format with a svg editor. I have the background done and the mp arrow built and working pretty well. The fuel flow arrow is next. Then some cleanup including antialiasing and shadows. I'll post pics of the gague when it is presentable.

I am creating my first custom gague now, the fuel flow and manifold pressure gague. It is time consuming because I decided to recreate the entire gague in vector format with a svg editor. I have the background done and the mp arrow built and working pretty well. The fuel flow arrow is next. Then some cleanup including antialiasing and shadows. I'll post pics of the gague when it is presentable.

Nice work on the panel.   I am into flight sims as well and look forward to your progress with this.