Mooney yoke mounted clock options

ryoder

I have the clock pictured here in my M20C http://www.coreutilities.com/mooney/graphics/FittedPanel.jpg

No that's not my panel.

What options do I have to replace it? Is it just a standard 2 1/4 gauge holder? What is the voltage running to it? 12 or 5?

Thinking about this one, any reviews? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/ei-chronometers.php

That looks like my clock. Wind it up and see if it runs! Pull out the winding stem and set the time. Both of these are on my Before Takeoff checklist. I set the red hands with the other knob, and use it to time fuel tank changes every hour and flight time for my logbook.

There is a wire up the yoke, as I have both the red post light on the clock, and a push-to-talk button on the yoke. The clock is mechanical, right down to the sweep second hand (no quartz one-second jumps).

It's likely a Wakmann 8 day clock. Take it to a jeweller who does clock or watch repairs to get it fixed. Once running again they can be calibrated for accuracy through an access cover on the back.

Clarence

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I had the original (but broken) 8 day clock out of my 1968 M20F refurbished and repaired by the great folks at Waltham Aircraft Clock Corp. just outside of Ozark Alabama.
I could not be happier with the service, turn around time, or price.  They returned my clock and it looks like its brand new!

https://www.walthamclocks.com/

5 hours ago, redcatcher27 said:

I had the original (but broken) 8 day clock out of my 1968 M20F refurbished and repaired by the great folks at Waltham Aircraft Clock Corp. just outside of Ozark Alabama.
I could not be happier with the service, turn around time, or price.  They returned my clock and it looks like its brand new!

https://www.walthamclocks.com/

Nice www site.   Very interesting that such a repair is still available.

You just replied to a four year-old thread.  You have resurrected a zombie!;)

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

I am looking for two either windup or electric clocks for the center of my yoke(s). I happen to have an extra pilot side yoke and since my copilot side yoke has a small hairline crack,  thought I would put a pilot side one there with alterations for a PTT and such. Know where I can get a couple cheap?

Bob

• 2 years later...
21 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I would check with waltham clocks, but don’t expect cheap.  I had mine fixed there and they were good.  

Not an issue now. Putting in J control wheels and new shafts from Mooney.

Thx

On 1/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, canamex said:

@Bob R did you ever find those clocks? I'm looking for a classic wind-up one as well

I have an inop waakmann wind up on the shelf if needed    .  It’s the fancy one with ruby bearings inside. It would require sending to Waltham.   The face and bezel are nice and I think it says mooney,  I’d have to go check in interested. 

• 2 years later...

In case you want to refurbish what you have, there is still a repair shop that takes them, and it's mentioned here, but just to update that information. It is www.walthamclocks.com. They open at 10. When you call 334-774-3584, use extension 100 and even though it says voicemail, I have gotten a live person each time. Not cheap. My rebuild is $350. I last had a rebuild 20+ years ago for $150 so that's about right. They're not to be confused with the clock builder Waltham Clocks, which was in Waltham MA and went out years ago. The repair shop is in Alabama and still in business at this writing, March 2024. Mine is a swiss one, probably Breitling, though there are ones made by Wakmann and some labelled Pioneer. Don't know if they repair all types but worth a try.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scott6113 said:

. . . there is still a repair shop that takes them, and it's mentioned here, but just to update that information. It is www.walthamclocks.com. They open at 10. When you call 334-774-3584 . . . The repair shop is in Alabama and still in business at this writing, March 2024.

Hey, he's less than a Mooney hour from me! Dothan is a nice field, big, open and towered for those who "don't go to uncontrolled fields."

But my yoke clock ticks along nicely. I'll have to see what else he works on.