converting to a new instrument panel

urbanti

I asked my avionics guy to look into converting the 1965 M20E panel to a modern flat panel with no bend angle between the top row of instruments and the lower row of instruments. Among other benefits, a flat panel would facilitate add an Aspen panel.

He expressed concern that there might be a complication with regard to the mounting angle of the instruments, i.e., is there a need to maintain the mounted angle of the instruments that is provided by the current panel?

Has anyone else run into this question or do people undertaking panel refurbishments just mount a flat panel and it works fine? If so is there a specific angle at which to mount the panel?

thx

Tim

I'm sure someone here has done it.  I think I've seen a flat aluminum panel on several mooneys, but to be honest, I never really paid close attention.  My mooney (and the later short bodies) have the larger flat panel, so I don't know why it would be a problem.

The whole purpose of buying an Aspen is not having to convert to a modern panel. Leave it alone and have your avionics guy build a canted mount just for the Aspen for 1/10th the price. This is what is great about the Aspen..... a $5k panel gut is no longer needed, creepy red cabin instrument lights are no longer needed....etc.

LASAR used to have modification kits but I'm not sure if they still offer them. Nowadays most shops just make their own.

The gyro instruments mount directly to the new panel. Some of your gyros may have a canted adapter to keep it verical but that will no longer be needed.

The bottom of the panel will use shock adapters to mount where the old panel mounted. The top of the panel will use 90 degree angle material to offset the top to make it vertical.

post-11090-0-09032600-1410468750_thumb.j

post-11090-0-33052900-1410468776_thumb.j

There are limits as to how much you can cant the Aspen - can't remember what they are.  But it is very easy for a competent metal worker to make a new vertical panel for it.  The radio stack has to stay canted because of the limited clearance to the tube in the center of the windscreen.  Here's a rather blurry side view of my panel before I flew it:

P1010925.JPG

Yes, you have to be careful to mount the Aspen in accordance with the Aspen install manual. There is a limit to the vertical, angle between RSM and Aspen unit and a limit for the RSM to the horizontal.....measure carefully. In my M20D, I used LASAR panels shown in the photo attached.

post-11965-0-30594600-1410475818_thumb.j

post-11965-0-71117700-1410475873_thumb.j

My '66E panel was flat before I redid it. I included a flush Aspen in the work. The new one was built by my avionics shop. It is built in 2 pieces and flat all the way across. The first one was from SWTA: Instrument panel by SW Texas Aviation, STC SA7828SW. It has a small canted section on the far right.

post-8913-0-21656000-1410477592_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-72159500-1410477680_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about the pilot's side instrument panel, I would say no. I have been told that the purpose of the horizontal bend/crease in the panel  was to accommodate all the older instruments  back in the day, which  as I understand it that the  original DG was huge and took up a lot room. The new instruments and avionics don't require as much  room. To  my knowledge there is no benefit in having horizontal crease/bend in the Pilot side instrument panel. Beside there have been literal hundreds conversion to flat and my guess  a majority gone to the "T" / 6 Pack instrument  arrangement or something similar. Having  the  flat piece of aluminum  makes it  much easier to cut and to install.  I have put slight vertical bend  on right side instruments for the Tach, Man/FP , Insight G3 engine monitor and It much easier to see the instruments takes out the parallaxes.

James '67C

post-7318-0-15501200-1411170088_thumb.jp

I have personally done this at our shop. I do the AUTOCAD work and run the CNC machine. The Aspen will be fine it has plenty of adjustment for error.

The angle you are worried about is negligible if mount the panel to match the angle of the original one. Basically if you do it right you have a nice strait panel at the same angle as your old one, with no bend.

My solution to this problem was to install an instrument bow and install a flat panel like the new airplanes.  Perhaps more work that you would like to do.  The other alternative would be to use sheet metal brackets attached to the defroster bow in the old airplanes which is hos the SWTA panel was installed.  You can get a hint of what is possible by looking at my gallery.

John Breda