Building a towbar

Scott Aviation

On 6/15/2020 at 10:57 PM, carusoam said:

The L needs to be a few degrees shy of 90°....

Under load it is going to want to open up and think about pulling out if given the chance...

Or the part that goes into the nose gear is long enough to come out the other side....

Slide a bolt through a hole it won’t escape that way...

Or put a lock through it, so nobody can take your towbar... without stealing the whole plane....

The classic Mooney Towbar isn’t 90°...

Some tow bars,  There are a few bends used to center the pulling force in front of the nose wheel...

How fast are you going to tow the plane... by hand? Or connected to lawn tractor....?

You want it locked and not able to slide out, if it is following you.... no prize for errant towing accidents...

pilot memories only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the info. I will pull/push with a tractor, slowly. I'm not going to move the airplane around the ramp with it. It seems that one pipe only, like @gsxrpilot did, is enough. that saves some work. Initially I was concerned that I needed a two-side clamp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilot_jb said:

My homemade tow bar for vehicles came with the plane, but I think the previous owners got it right, except for not making the pin long enough to pin the other side and lock it in.

IMG_8569.jpg

Slide the bar all the way in and drill through the guide and bar

7 hours ago, pilot_jb said:

My homemade tow bar for vehicles came with the plane, but I think the previous owners got it right, except for not making the pin long enough to pin the other side and lock it in.

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

Thanks! This looks like exactly how I want to build it. Do you mind sending me the dimensions and size of the metal?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FastTex said:

Thanks! This looks like exactly how I want to build it. Do you mind sending me the dimensions and size of the metal?

I'll be at the hangar tonight.  I'll gladly send you whatever you need.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilot_jb said:

Major, "Why didn't I think of that" moment.  lol!

Been there, done that........... I would drill through both with like a 3/16" bit the drill the sliding bar out to 3/8" ~ 5/16" drill, will make it a lot easier to get all the holes to line up

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I would drill through both with like a 3/16" bit the drill the sliding bar out to 3/8" ~ 5/16" drill, will make it a lot easier to get all the holes to line up

I would buy the locking pin first, then drill oversize as stated based on the actual pin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

reviving old topic, excellent information tho... Debating a cost effective mooney tug... any reason why a trailer dolly such as this one, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tow-tuff-electric-trailer-dolly-tmd-3500etd, would not work with a tow bar like the one above? the only reason I can think of is that the ball is too high...

Am am I missing something? Seems to cut the cost by 50% comparing to commercial tugs...

There needs to be some amount of tongue weight on the ball of the trailer dolly so the tires will have traction.  I’m sure that adaptations could be designed and implemented, but then the price point may be approaching a purpose-built aircraft mover. The product description says it weighs 110 lbs.  Is that enough weight by itself to provide traction to the wheels?  The working load weight limit is 3,500 lbs.  Certainly it has the capacity in that regard.  

Now I’m curious to hear what tug owners think.  How much weight does it take so the tug wheels have traction?

image.thumb.png.41178e8affec18ac0f083ebcd5bb110d.png

6 hours ago, 47U said:

There needs to be some amount of tongue weight on the ball of the trailer dolly so the tires will have traction.  I’m sure that adaptations could be designed and implemented, but then the price point may be approaching a purpose-built aircraft mover. The product description says it weighs 110 lbs.  Is that enough weight by itself to provide traction to the wheels?  The working load weight limit is 3,500 lbs.  Certainly it has the capacity in that regard.  

Now I’m curious to hear what tug owners think.  How much weight does it take so the tug wheels have traction?

I don't have a Mooney or trailer tug, but in my experience, the tongue weight of a trailer is generally ~10% the weight of the trailer. So for the tug above with 3500 lb. capacity, tongue weight would generally be limited to ~350 lb. Surely even the nise of my C weighs more than that . . . .

5 hours ago, Hank said:

So for the tug above with 3500 lb. capacity, tongue weight would generally be limited to ~350 lb. Surely even the nise of my C weighs more than that . . . .

The tug in combination with the proposed tow bar is carrying half the weight of the tow bar, right?  The other half of the tow bar weight is on the nose gear.   

Incidentally, the weight on my C’s nose gear coming out of the factory was 474 lbs. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, 47U said:

image.thumb.png.41178e8affec18ac0f083ebcd5bb110d.png

I could see rotating this 90 degrees so the hitch receiver faces the plane, then weld a new handle on the opposite side. Result would still be 1/2 off anything else you pay double for simply because the word airplane is included.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:51 PM, dominikos said:

reviving old topic, excellent information tho... Debating a cost effective mooney tug... any reason why a trailer dolly such as this one, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tow-tuff-electric-trailer-dolly-tmd-3500etd, would not work with a tow bar like the one above? the only reason I can think of is that the ball is too high...

Am am I missing something? Seems to cut the cost by 50% comparing to commercial tugs...

Have Don Muncy build you one. As an engineer I thought this would be easy and straight forward. I’m also not one to reinvent the wheel. Don saved some a lot of tinkering time and money! Just flew home with my new Muncy tug - it is robust and works excellent! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

Just adding a few pictures to say modifying the trailer tug as suggested earlier in this thread worked for me!  Such a trove of great information, knowledge and experience shared on this site. Thank you all for the time you take answering all of our questions and freely sharing! Before starting the project some months ago I messaged @DonMuncy and he was so helpful! I wouldn’t have had the push to try making this without his words of encouragement! Hopefully the pictures help someone else in the future.

Now that I’ve been using it a few months I’d modify a few things like extending the attachment point as the tug sits too close to the airplane making maneuvering a bit uncomfortable.  Also incorporating some way to auto clamp the tug to the nose gear without  have to squat under the cowling would be nice! 

4B22A9F2-6DBE-4877-A519-668E646D2CBB.jpeg

EC0AD2EA-2E72-4B24-8198-98EA36AD9927.jpeg

8F62F835-929A-481F-90F3-C488CE9FB248.jpeg

5808C190-5524-44AD-ACA0-0831F5EC7284.jpeg

• Like 2