Some Decent looking M20's listed for sale on Barnstormers.

MB65E

Hi All! I don't have any cards in the mix, but these three grabbed my eye today as I was passing time today on barnstormers...

1966 MOONEY M20E SUPER 21-- Wish mine had an AP, I like the silver… just the silver

1987 MOONEY 201 M20J- clean

1977 MOONEY M20J 201- looks very capable

The last one caught my only is Brokered by Dan Jay, I have worked with Dan on 2 other Pre Purchases Inspections. A BE35 and T182 over the last 24 months. He is a stand up guy that works with aircraft that tend to be in good shape.

I did like the 87 J that posted today.

Really, no cards at all...

Cheers,

-Matt

• Like 1

there is usually a reason for a great price...

NTSB Accident Information 

#NTSB1  Accident Occurred on: 2008-06-10 00:00:00

Narrative (ACCP): On June 10, 2008, approximately 1030 mountain daylight time, a Mooney M20J, N1234G, sustained substantial damage when the landing gear collapsed during the landing roll at Burns Field (EVW), Evanston, Wyoming. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. The pilot/owner was operating the airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal cross-country flight, which had originated from Rifle, Colorado, about 0800. The pilot had filed and opened a Visual Flight Rules flight plan. In a written statement, the pilot reported that when he engaged the landing gear while on approach, he got an unsafe red gear light. The pilot recycled the landing gear and checked the circuit breakers. The light then went out. The pilot contacted the local Fixed Base Operator and requested a flyby to have someone confirm that the landing gear was down. Ground personnel reported to the pilot that the gear appeared down. The pilot accomplished his final pre-landing checks and landed the airplane. Immediately after touchdown, the landing gear collapsed. Postaccident examination of the airplane by a mechanic revealed that two wing skins and a metal tubular former in the belly needed to be replaced. Two Federal Aviation Administration Form 337 approvals were required to return the airplane to service. The mechanic who performed the work said the gear collapsed due to the over center tension for the nose wheel landing gear down locks was not properly adjusted.

Narrative (ACCF): The pilot reported that he extended the landing gear while on approach for landing and got a "gear unsafe" red light indication. He recycled the landing gear and the gear light went out. The pilot called the local fixed base operator on the field and requested a flyby to confirm that the landing gear was down. Ground personnel indicated that the gear appeared to be down. The pilot accomplished the final pre-landing checks and landed the airplane. The landing gear collapsed immediately after touchdown. Postaccident examination of the airplane by a mechanic revealed that two wing skins and a metal tubular former in the belly needed to be replaced. The mechanic who inspected the landing gear stated that the gear collapsed because the over center tension for the nose wheel landing gear down locks was not properly adjusted.

Narrative (CAUSE): A collapse of the landing gear due to improper maintenance.

FAA Accident/Incident Information 

#FAA1  Accident/Incident Occurred on: 1979-04-03

Narrative: AIRCRAFT ENCOUNTERED VORTEX FROM DEPARTING JET DURING TAKEOFF,CRASHED AND BURNED

#FAA2  Accident/Incident Occurred on: 1979-03-20

Narrative: FIRE IN RIGHT ENGINE CAUSED BY BROKEN EXHAUST STACK.

#FAA3  Accident/Incident Occurred on: 1978-08-01

Narrative: AFTER STARTING ENGINES PILOTS ATTENTION DIVERTED TO RADIOS AS AIRPLANE MOVED FORWARD STRIKING PARKED B310.

#FAA4  Accident/Incident Occurred on: 2008-06-10

Narrative: (-23) LANDING GEAR COLLAPSED AFTER TOUCH DOWN RESULTING IN SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE TO STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS.

#FAA5  Accident/Incident Occurred on: 2009-08-12

Narrative: (-23) ON AUGUST 12, 2009 AT 09:01 MST AIRCRAFT N1234G, A MOONEY M20J SERIAL NUMBER 24-1614 EXPERIENCED A GEAR-UP LANDING AT EAGLE COUNTY AIRPORT COLORADO (KEGE) ON ALTERNATE RUNWAY 07. THE PROPELLER, UNDERBELLY, AND LEFT MLG DOOR SUSTAINED MINOR DAMAGE. THE MLG GEAR HANDLE WAS FOUND IN THE UP POSITION AND THE PILOT STATED "I THOUGHT I PUT THE GEAR DOWN BUT OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T".

• Like 1

It's great to look at the prices for Mooneys on Barnstormers, then go and see what your local tax collector thinks your Mooney is worth!  According to my local assessor, Mooneys are fetching fabulous prices right now.  However, he declined to buy mine at the assessed price.   :rolleyes:

The claim that gear-ups shouldn't impact the desirability of a plane, IF it's been repaired correctly, amuse me. How a buyer, even one who isn't a novice, determines that with any certainty is beyond me.

Just one more concern that one day may jump up and bite you on the butt.

YMMV, especially if you own one. ;)

What is the general thought on buying damaged aircraft?  I understand taking the hit on re-sale value, but  I'm usually the type of guy that holds on to things for a long amount of time...15 year old truck, 10 year old car.  By the time I'd get around to selling an airplane I'd be pining for the fjords like Monty Python's parrot.

Assuming a good pre-buy inspection by Laser or the likes that comes back neat and clean, is the real problem only with re-sale?

1) there is no general thought...

2) you will have to make your own judgement, on what is right for you.

3) know that part of the market doesn't care for damaged planes. One part of the market only buys new planes from the factory.

4) know that when damage is found on your watch, things can be more expensive to fix than expected.

5) using an MSC for the PPI is a good idea to prove there is no damage. Using the MSC to swap out tubular formers and wing skins sounds awfully expensive.

The reason for buying a broken plane is presumably to save some money. Paying somebody to fix it removes that advantage.

Now, if you are an A&P and like the extra work, this is a great idea! Expect that a lot of weekends will get chewed up on your new project.

I have had both kinds, damaged and the NDH plane. I prefer the NDH ones better. It cost me a premium to get it...

Planes aren't much different than cars in this regard. Nobody wants bent machinery. Especially if there is a new coat of paint on top of body filler with some bent or broken other things.

My experience comes from finding? stretched and missing rivets found in the PPI. Disappointing hassle to get my money back on the old Cherokee...

Ya know?

-a-

• 2 months later...

The claim that gear-ups shouldn't impact the desirability of a plane, IF it's been repaired correctly, amuse me. How a buyer, even one who isn't a novice, determines that with any certainty is beyond me.

Just one more concern that one day may jump up and bite you on the butt.

YMMV, especially if you own one. ;)

mine happened in 1966.  I think I'm safe.   :D

• Like 1

These are generally great planes. Lots of new parts.

Sometimes.....

Don't worry Aaron, there will be lots of damaged planes for you to pick from. Hopefully they have been repaired to a degree that won't cause you future issues. Good luck with that!

Sometimes.....

Don't worry Aaron, there will be lots of damaged planes for you to pick from. Hopefully they have been repaired to a degree that won't cause you future issues. Good luck with that!

......I'll should have said I'd buy one after my mechanic digs though it to ensure there is no bubble gum or twisty ties......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having looked at lots of vintage mooneys, several times with the assistance of highly paid MSCs, my opinion is that there are far fewer true NDH vintage mooneys out there than owners may think/represent.

That being said, if you're buying a plane to fly rather than as some sort of poorly thought out investment, many well-repaired planes fly identical to new so you pays your money and takes your chances.

Tim

Postscript: Above sentiments apply mostly to pre-1970, sub-$50,000 airplanes.

When I bought my Bonanza I was looking at @ $100k airplanes and once you get to that market segment you are looking at newer, better equipped, and frequently hangared/ better maintained airframes.

Tim