Cloudahoy

Danb

I use it for my job hunting. My company installs technology, automation, audio, video and home theaters. I go up, I have camera attached and pointed down. I fly over selected areas ( big houses ZIP codes) in New Jersey and New York. When I see an interesting job site, foundation, house under construction, development or clear lot I mark it in the cloud ahoy app. It gives me the time and coordinates. Then I review the video from the camera and compare it to the marked locations from the cloudahoy app. Based on that I can easy find the address of the site. You can never see those jobs from the road since they are usually huge properties and estates in the woods.

I submit the information to my sales team. Now it is their responsibility to visit the job site and possibly get the job so I can support my expensive hobbies.

Please don't share this with my competition. :-)

post-11936-0-18009300-1409489795_thumb.j

post-11936-0-84257700-1409489810_thumb.j

post-11936-0-39747600-1409489882_thumb.j

CloudAhoy uses internal iPad GPS - or compatible external device - to create a three dimensional flight track.  The cool feature is that the app breaks down the flight phases automatically - Taxi, takeoff, cruise, descent, landing and taxi.  You may view as a two dimensional track with graphs for airspeed, altitude, vertical speed (among others) or view as a three dimensional representation using Google Earth.  Google Earth may also be used to virtually re-fly the flight from the pilot's perspective.

If you are doing any manner of flight testing (post overhaul, aircraft upgrades, etc.), the information is very valuable.

If you are a student (for any cert) the detailed records are extremely helpful for post-flight debriefing.  For PPL, the application will breakdown slow flight, steep turns, stalls, etc automatically.  Each procedure can be analyzed independently - vertical speed, airspeed changes, course accuracy.  Instrument procedures may be broken down in a similar manner.

If you are a flight instructor, see above.  Also, the ability to AirPlay the flight using an AppleTV to a big screen is a very useful tool.

The ability to import flight tracking records from other apps - ForeFlight specifically - is nice because CloudAhoy is not compatible with the Stratus.  The more accurate position information may now be imported for analysis.

Because it tracks the flight phases, you can also use it as a helpful reference for logging purposes in case, you know, one forgets to record start and end flight times.  Not that any of us would ever do that, of course.

YMMV,

Jeff

I tried cloudahoy but it interfere with my garmin pilot app, also my SPAM mails have increased 500% since I registered with cloudahoy, I recommend avoiding it and any it's siblings.

How does it interfere with the Garmin Pilot? Share please. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I think it is interesting that Foreflglight just now records flights.   Different platform on Android, Been using DroidEFB for 4 years including my primary training.   It will record flights, you can mark your own Points of Interest on the fly or the ground.  Then you upload them to a google share.  Then they come down into google Earth or any other mapping program.    It now has an automatic log book that will record your time spent going from airport to airport and auto identifies the airports.   I have tried Avare and FltPlan go, but the User Interface is not as good and Flt Plan Go struggles with map display even on my new Samsung 6 phone.

16 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I think it is interesting that Foreflglight just now records flights.   .

Foreflight has been recording flights for more than a year and a half. The recent change is that it has a setting that records them automatically on every flight without pressing a "record" button.

On 8/31/2014 at 7:33 PM, teejayevans said:

It causes the airplane position to hang, it seem to update sporadically, maybe every 5-10 secs, very noticeable when in safe taxi mode. I would have thought the active app would have taken priority, guess not.

Fortunately, Cloud Ahoy will take a feed from other flight apps that record flights. If you have an EFB app that records (I have no idea whether Pilot does) it can usually export it in a format usable by Cloud Ahoy. 

For the student pilot...

CloudAhoy does a nice job of identifying and recording the flight maneuvers.  Example: when doing a 360° turn, you get the graphic of where your turn actually occurred and the quality of it including altitude lost/gained.

For the power management perfectionist....

CA measures the T/O and landing distances at the airport.

For the IR student...

Instrument procedures are identified and recorded.  (This announcement)

a WAAS source is most likely required for the accuracy.  I use a SkyRadar receiver for that.

I am only a PP and have no financial interest in CA.  I had sent an email to their customer service once.  Their chief, Chuck Shavit, responded.  Similar to WingX, email to customer service, response from Baron Hilton...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...

Every now and then CloudAhoy sends an update...

When it comes to flight recording... This is pretty cool... especially if it’s a training flight... a precision flight... or a complex flight... or a flight that has a lot of detail associated with it...

https://mailchi.mp/cloudahoy/36c6tbbe2o-874563?e=81c872fe42

And they’re hiring... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I really have enjoyed CloudAhoy.  I use ForeFlight so don’t need to have CloudAhoy running in the background when flying - so no interference issues.  After I land, I export the KML file from ForeFlight to CloudAhoy and really enjoy being able to look at all the telemetry from my flight - especially when reviewing approaches.  It’s really cool to be able to overlay the intended approach path in 3D over my approach and see how I did.  It’s also invaluable for reviewing landings, overall performance and for replaying procedures, landings, etc. in 3D POV.  There is a learning curve because the documentation is not great - but once you learn how to use all of the functionality, I think you will get addicted.  I have been a subscriber and can’t imagine not being able to review my flights with the detail it provides.  I know we’re all CB but it’s worth it...:D

• Like 1

I bought a subscription to cloud ahoy when I was working on my PPL. Like @elimansour, I would overlay actual over planned routes to gauge accuracy as well as analyze how consistent I was in terms of speed and altitude changes during multiple passes in the pattern.  I didn’t have as much a need for it once I completed my private, but I’m about to start working on my instrument rating, and plan to renew my subscription again when I start IR flight training, for the same use case.

The YouTube video integration/sync is a cool feature, and I’ve used that a number of times, together with the glass cockpit features to do deep post flight analysis for insights and continued learning.  

Here is a video i made during soon after my first solo that shows a few of the features:

• Like 1

On 3/18/2016 at 6:38 AM, midlifeflyer said:

Foreflight has been recording flights for more than a year and a half. The recent change is that it has a setting that records them automatically on every flight without pressing a "record" button.

FlyQ EFB also has this recording functionality.

• 1 year later...

The latest from CloudAhoy...

Since we are flying a lot of solo... or solo reviewing old flights....

CloudAhoy is giving away a free month of their highest membership...

Which means...

If you are a basic (free) member... you have already stored away some flight details...

If you haven’t reviewed at T/O or a landing with this much detail... this is pretty cool...

If you have practiced an approach... even better... it has some scoring too...

https://www.cloudahoy.com

From their email...

See the coupon code and try to find where it goes... if I can get it done... you can too...

Now...  Go collect some data...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

During this time many of us cannot fly in the sky, but we can be engaged in flying by other ways. One way is to relive past flights- for fun, for learning, or to share.   

Coupon: PILOTSFLY
        - 30 days of CloudAhoy Pro -
        - Applies to everybody - 

Avare (a free android EFB) will also generate a KML file and there's an option to have it email it to you when you close the app.   I've been using this for quite a while to determine flight time, review flights, etc. 

You can also view KML tracks on mymaps.google.com or earth.google.com.    Either will import KML files.   Earth has 3D view capability.

I think those aren't as sophisticated as cloudahoy, but they're free and easy to use.

• Like 1

My favorite detail...

T/O distance... 890’  (waas gps source required, available on many ADSB in devices)

Least favorite detail...

Landing distance....   :)

I have to be at 60kias before the numbers to shorten the landing distance...

And use the brakes too...

Best regards,

-a-