O2 tank proper usage table

Houman

Did my 1st solo flight in my Rocket today, had to go to another airport to fill the portable oxygene tank, no issues there, funniest thing was that it took me longer to taxi  to the FBO than getting from my home airport to that airport.

Anyhow, I was told that I need a usage table for the O2 tank, as to not over oxyginate at different altitudes.

I was wondering if anyone has such a table and is it specific to the tank or ??

Thanks !!!

My POH has such a table, but I think it is only an approximation. I also don't think you can over oxygenate. If you over do it, you are only wasting a little O2. Best get an oximeter and meter it to keep your level in the middle 90's %. 

My POH has such a table, but I think it is only an approximation. I also don't think you can over oxygenate. If you over do it, you are only wasting a little O2. Best get an oximeter and meter it to keep your level in the middle 90's %. 

Did you K came with the portable O2 tank or is it attached to the plane ?, mine is portable and I have reviewed the POH, did'nt see any. May I ask where in POH you have this table.

Thanks !

My O2 tank is installed. There is a special section of the POH for Oxygen. If no one has a table, I can try to scan mine and attach it, but my abilities at attaching things is not too great.

I would appreciate that, I will IM you my email.

Just curious, was the installation something that was done at factory or afterwords ?

Just get a pulse ox and figure out how much you need.

Yeah, I was going to purchase that anyway, on Aircraftspruce they have the Checkmate and finger pulse brand, the Checkmate looks fancier, any experience with either ?

But still curious about the table.

If your tank is portable, you can take it to a welding supply shop and have it filled for about 1/2 the cost of an FBO.  It may take some time to get the tank back, mine is usually 2 weeks.      You will probably need a prescription for oxygen from your DR. though.

Ron

Well it cost me 75$ and got it filled in about 10 min from an FBO that has many Pilatus and other planes, so they are used to do it for GA as well.

This page has a useful time at different altitudes for different size o2 bottles:

http://wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm

I don't think you can "over oxyginate" yourself (your respiratory system will only absorb as much as it needs). You'll just run out of oxygen sooner than expected.

+1 on the welding shops for filling a portable tank. I used to get mine filled for $15 and they did it while I waited.

You don't need a prescription for welding oxygen. You need a prescription for medical oxygen (same stuff different label). You don't need a prescription for ABO, Aviators Breathing Oxygen (Same stuff just tested for moisture).

Just about all oxygen these days is made from liquid air. Any moisture is sitting at the bottom of the big tank of liquid oxygen as very hard ice.

As a matter of fact, they are all tested for moisture. Moisture in welding oxygen is as critical as it is for breathing oxygen.

I just went through the same conversation with a local gas supplier that I am setting up to rent cylinders from so I can do transfilling. When I asked about the different types of oxygen, he smirked at me and pointed to a large O2 dewar and said "there they are".

I did learn that you do not want to say anything about medical usage... O2 for people needing it, does require them to adhere to FDA protocols.

My oximizer canula have a metering device and it is marked in k feet.

I bought my large (80 cu ft) O2 bottle on Craigslist for $25 and got it filed for $15 (swapped for full one).

The big expense was the transfil hose (c $100).  Works great.

BILL

My oximizer canula have a metering device and it is marked in k feet.

I bought my large (80 cu ft) O2 bottle on Craigslist for $25 and got it filed for $15 (swapped for full one).

The big expense was the transfil hose (c $100).  Works great.

BILL

Bill, can you give me a bit of information about your setup, I finished my tank after 4h flight, 1 person, not sure if I have a problem on the adapter, but at this rate, it is a bit expensive at 75$...

I noticed when I got on the ground, that the adapter at the top of the tank was making a hissing sound, and air was coming out of the overflow hole on the adapter... not sure if that is normal...

Thanks !!

Well was my 1st time wit the tank and I was surprised that it was empty after such a short time, I will call AFROX tomorrow to inquire about it.. My partner that had the O2 tank and cannula had not used it for more than a year and the airport I went to fill it up could only get it to 2400, where mine says 3000, so wondering if that might have been the problem as well...

Well was my 1st time wit the tank and I was surprised that it was empty after such a short time, I will call AFROX tomorrow to inquire about it.. My partner that had the O2 tank and cannula had not used it for more than a year and the airport I went to fill it up could only get it to 2400, where mine says 3000, so wondering if that might have been the problem as well...

What size tank do you have? I have an Aerox 22 cu ft portable. At 10k set on the flow, I get what this chart says I should get (about 23 hours with 2 people on it).

Depending on your cylinder size and flow (and whether or not you are using an oxysaver type cannula) you should get more than 1 flight on it.

Bill, can you give me a bit of information about your setup, I finished my tank after 4h flight, 1 person, not sure if I have a problem on the adapter, but at this rate, it is a bit expensive at 75$...

I noticed when I got on the ground, that the adapter at the top of the tank was making a hissing sound, and air was coming out of the overflow hole on the adapter... not sure if ttthat is normal...

Thanks !!

First,  when I first got O2, I had regular canula,  I used my whole bottle in 3.5 hrs on a trip to S. Fla.  I then bought the oximizer canula and now it's easy to get 10-12 hrs from the same bottle at 12-14K. (1 person) with the same O2 saturation  (I use a O2 meter when flying). I have found that at 12K, my O2 will drop to 80% in 12-15 mins w/o the canula.  Put back on it's up over 95 in about 5 mins !

There should be no sounds other than the air coming from the canula or mask.

I'm going flying today so I'll take a picture of my refill and operation setup and post this afternoon.

With one welding bottle I don't get a full reflill each time but when the pressure gets below 1400, I swap it out for the $15-20.(2-3 plane bottle refills)

BILL

I have about the same experience as Dr Bill. If you can lay hands on a second big tank, and "cascade" you can about double the fills you get from one tank. You first fill your small tank as much as you can with the lowest pressure tank, then finish filling as much

as you can with the high pressure tank. When the high pressure tank gets too low to suit you, it then becomes the low pressure tank and you swap the low one in for a new high pressure tank.

$75 is way too much for a refill. These guys are crazy!

Yves

I know Yves, but Pascan at St-Hubert is the only place I know that can do it...

I'm looking into a setup that would be more economical but also safe...