Looking for a cowl landing light lens cover for my Rocket

GIVCAPT

Was this part of the STC done by Rocket Engenieering, since they changes the cowling with the new engine.

Maybe they will have the spare part, if you find out, let us know, as a fellow Rocket owner, it's good to share info !!!

Was this part of the STC done by Rocket Engenieering, since they changes the cowling with the new engine.

Maybe they will have the spare part, if you find out, let us know, as a fellow Rocket owner, it's good to share info !!!

I talked to Rocket this morning and they said it is the same stock cowling they use for the 231/252 conversion just modfied of course. The parts all stock including the lens.

To my knowledge the Rocket is using the original K model cowling, either the 231 or 252 cowling - no change. Replacement lens covers are available from Great Lakes Aero http://www.glapinc.com/Mooney/m20K.htm

Thanks Paul,

You are correct it is the same stock cowling just modifed. Rocket confirmed it to me this morning.

• 4 years later...

It’s funny that this topic came up.  Literally, after looking at that yellowed thing for years, I decided last week to get rid of it.  So I bought a sheet of polycarbonate (was it polycarbonate or Lexan or....?) and copied the old part’s shape and ventilation holes.  Total time to fabricate was maybe 20 minutes and cost $24.  I’m not a shop wizard, either.  Now, I’ll concede that I wasn’t entirely certain this qualified as the sort of “lens” that owners are allowed to replace without a sign off, but my A&P (a conservative fellow, typically) says it does.  

I’d give it a go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RobertE said:

It’s funny that this topic came up.  Literally, after looking at that yellowed thing for years, I decided last week to get rid of it.  So I bought a sheet of polycarbonate (was it polycarbonate or Lexan or....?) and copied the old part’s shape and ventilation holes.  Total time to fabricate was maybe 20 minutes and cost $24.  I’m not a shop wizard, either.  Now, I’ll concede that I wasn’t entirely certain this qualified as the sort of “lens” that owners are allowed to replace without a sign off, but my A&P (a conservative fellow, typically) says it does.  

I’d give it a go.

You got an expensive piece of Lexan (polycarbonate)

I slumped mine on the side of an oil drum with a heat gun.

Polycarbonate is easier to work with than acrylic, except you don't want to cut it with a laser or burn it at all. It releases toxic chemicals. Lexan is the brand name for Polycarbonate. 

You should play with some of your scrap as it has some interesting properties. Beat it with a hammer; where acrylic (plexiglass) will split or crack, polycarbonate will just get impressions and dents. If you bend it to the point of failure, it yields gracefully like soft metal as opposed to splitting. The downsides are that UV can yellow it over time and it scratches easily (mcmaster.com sells some that's supposed to be scratch and UV resistant). 

I've purchased two.  The first I purchased disintegrated on the second flight.  The second one I purchased was WAY better quality.  I just looked up my records.  I purchased the whole package. LED Landing and Taxi lights along with the part number GLA2414 from Knots2u.com the lens was $245.48 (I know, ouch) but fit like a glove and came with sticker to make it legal.  The first one came with a warning saying.. well you know.. it's not legal.... don't tell anybody sort of thing.  I can't remember who I got the first one from.  GLAP does not ring a bell.  Might have been LP Aero.. but, I can't be sure.

Edited by Eraaen
spelling

I did the DIY method for my 231: Take a piece of Lexan or plexi (don't remember which i did) approximately the right size, lay it in a warm oven in a disposable foil container (like the one under a weber grill), and it will sag nicely into the compound curve you're looking for.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

9 minutes ago, exM20K said:

I did the DIY method for my 231: Take a piece of Lexan or plexi (don't remember which i did) approximately the right size, lay it in a warm oven in a disposable foil container (like the one under a weber grill), and it will sag nicely into the compound curve you're looking for.

-dan

Plexi bends easily with a little heat and retains it new shape better, as compared to Lexan, which requires more heat and tends to return to its original (flat) shape.