Engine monitor location

MooneyBob

It's about the time to put the engine monitor in. I have decided for Electronics International CGR30p (see attached photo). I can replace primary instruments such as a tachometer, MP, etc.

My dilemma is where should I install it. It fits into standard hole but as you can see my panel is full. I would definitely like to keep the Strike Finder as I got it repaired recently and many people here recommended to keep it.

I could simply replace my tachometer or MP but I want to have it in my line of sight in main panel. It gives me two options:

1. Get rid of NAV2 VOR or move it to the current tachometer hole.

2. Get rid of DG above the AP selector. I have HSI that works with the AP and I don't know if that DG is still somehow connected to the AP. Also it looks like a good idea to have back up DG if HSI goes south.

I use external GPS GDL39 3D with Garmin Pilot on my iPad for navigation all the time. It has built in compass, AI and synthetic vision.

Or maybe there is another way to go?

Eventually I will get some king of GPS and even ASPEN like panel but for now the engine monitor is my limit.

Thanks

post-11936-0-39846400-1408151048_thumb.j

post-11936-0-26366700-1408151059_thumb.j

post-11936-0-41620500-1408151241_thumb.j

CGR 30P is a great unit and EI's customer support is beyond reproach.

My opinion is replace the secondary DG with the CGR. There is little reason to have a backup DG in the panel. In my experience having the engine instruments a glance away from the primary gauges makes them much easier to monitor.

CGR 30P is a great unit and EI's customer support is beyond reproach.

My opinion is replace the secondary DG with the CGR. There is little reason to have a backup DG in the panel. In my experience having the engine instruments a glance away from the primary gauges makes them much easier to monitor.

+1

Unless you have better eyesight than me and can see it from where your current MP/tach live now.

You could move your back DG to that location, particularly if it serves as a backup heading bug for your autopilot.

I just watched the video on it and it looks great. Is $3,600 the best price you can get it for or are there some good deals going on? I would love to add this in my old panel. Troy

I picked my cgr-30p at osh last year from AC spruce for $3300 out the door with all the options. I went to the show to buy a jpi but they couldn't touch the cgr for price and were rude. I found the display resolution much nicier on the cgr very high pixels and easy on the eyes. Absolutely love it and it works flawlessly.

• Like 1

fifty hours flying the CGR30P.   Hands down, unless you need the second dg for you ap, put it there.  I really like the CGR but it has multiple pages and I find myself fiddling with it.  I would note be happy if it wasn't in plain view and easy to reach. 

I too have around

fifty hours flying the CGR30P.   Hands down, unless you need the second dg for you ap, put it there.  I really like the CGR but it hast multiple pages and I find myself fiddling with it.  I would note be happy if it wasn't in plain view and easy to reach.

Is it possible that the DG is still connected and needed for the AP to function? I have the HSI and it works with the AP.

Thansk

I would actually ditch the secondary DG, move the Strike Finder there and then put the CGR30 where the Strike Finder was. The engine monitor you will use ever flight and the Strike Finder only every now and then.

• Like 1