OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

Does the left fly Mooneys?

Or does that only happen after they hand out the free WAAS and ADSB with the free cell phone?

Did I get the alignment right?

I'm still new to politics. I am learning as you guys go along...

Maybe we should all add a number to our avatar names to denote our political leanings.

1= Karl Marx man love

10= Atilla the Hun: what a great guy!

5=Reagan was a saint sent from heaven.

I know you are all kidding around but maybe conservatives just like a good argument and jump into the fray. Or perhaps more business owners are conservative and maybe business owners fly more than the general population. All I know is that sometimes when I say something which doesn't jive with the conservative movement I get jumped on by a whole bunch of conservatives and not many libby's will come to help me out.

I've noticed the same thing, not just on Mooneyspace but in aviation in general. Perhaps it is the military influence, or perhaps the fact that aviation is very rules-based, and conservatives tend to be rule-followers in general. Or perhaps this is still sort of a rich man's game, and the wealthy tend to be conservative.

A sociology student could probably do his dissertation on the subject and get his doctorate.

A sociology student would understand the difference between cause and effect and correlation.

Piloting, as you may all be aware, has a huge demographics problem --- e.g. it is disproportionally white male, and because of the expense, white male in a certain income class.  Its a hobby, unfortunately, pursued by a very limited demographic of the American public.  Something I'd hope you would all like to see change - and bring more people into the hobby, like women and minorities.  50% of the population is completely uninterested in flying (women), and they have increased spending power every year and far more control over family finances than they ever have in history, and you will find other threads here beoaning the decline of general aviation, such smart guys like you could probaby make the connection on where you could grow this hobby.  Note this demographic tends to vote Democrat a lot more than you do and is pretty smart too.

But just because the demographic of the flying population is effectively the same as the demographic of the Republican party does not mean "the smarts to be a pilot means you have the smarts to be a Republican".  It just means you are a statistic.  You are a middle or upper class probably middle aged white man that votes for policies that will help you, you can afford to live in a good school district for your kids, you think guns are cool because you didn't have 3 neighbors and a cousin growing up die from gun violence, you could always afford health insurance - or even if you had periods when you couldn't you were in good health, so you don't get what the big deal is, but you hate paying taxes becase it means less money to fly - so you vote Republican, which makes sense based on who you are, not because of how smart you are or because that smartness makes you a better pilot. 

As for liberals jumping into the fray, general our comments are wholly unwelcome in the pilot population.  Which could equate to the demographics that are also sometimes treated as unwelcome in the pilot population.  Think about what this thread right here is doing to the Mooney brand.  A young black woman, maybe in her first year of college, stumbles here because she thinks she might want to learn to fly maybe after seeing a Mooney at an airshow, reads this thread first, the most popular on this forum - do you think this is a community she is going to want to join or be welcomed in, no matter how fascinating flying seems?   Maybe y'all shouldn't be as worried about why Little Timmy doesn't want to learn to fly and start worrying about Little Sally...

• Like 3

You are a middle or upper class probably middle aged white man that votes for policies that will help you, you can afford to live in a good school district for your kids, you think guns are cool because you didn't have 3 neighbors and a cousin growing up die from gun violence, you could always afford health insurance - or even if you had periods when you couldn't you were in good health, so you don't get what the big deal is, but you hate paying taxes becase it means less money to fly - so you vote Republican, which makes sense based on who you are, not because of how smart you are or because that smartness makes you a better pilot. 

I'm not going to touch this one.

I may be out of line here, but other than this thread, it appears to me by reading between the lines that most people that make contributions here on MS swing towards the right.

Actually, there are loads of liberals that fly airplanes, including Mooneys. They just refrain from participating in threads like these. Maybe because their guy is in the White House, or maybe because their people control the places they live, or maybe they feel they still have momentum even after the last elections, but they don't seem to feel the desire to come online with strangers to rant, rave, call people names and shout their beliefs at others. I guess they must have some other medium to vent their frustrations. Maybe all the liberal pilots are turning up at these "Hands Up" "protest" riots? I don't know.

If you look at the number of members of MooneySpace, or any internet forum, you'll find that the total membership far outstrips the members that actively participate. Probably something like 100 to 1. That tells us there are lots of people that read the forums, but choose not to say anything. In the case of the political threads, it is wise to stay out of them if you disagree with the people posting there. These threads are run pretty much like conservative call in radio "talk" shows. Not a lot of actual debate, nor much respect for an alternative point of view. Just angry shouting name calling and shutting down of those that oppose and congratulatory back slapping for those that agree.

The liberals are wise to stay out of these things. It's a pointless waste of typing and a great way to get mud flung at you.

• Like 2

Actually, there are loads of liberals that fly airplanes, including Mooneys. They just refrain from participating in threads like these. Maybe because their guy is in the White House, or maybe because their people control the places they live, or maybe they feel they still have momentum even after the last elections, but they don't seem to feel the desire to come online with strangers to rant, rave, call people names and shout their beliefs at others. I guess they must have some other medium to vent their frustrations. Maybe all the liberal pilots are turning up at these "Hands Up" "protest" riots? I don't know.

If you look at the number of members of MooneySpace, or any internet forum, you'll find that the total membership far outstrips the members that actively participate. Probably something like 100 to 1. That tells us there are lots of people that read the forums, but choose not to say anything. In the case of the political threads, it is wise to stay out of them if you disagree with the people posting there. These threads are run pretty much like conservative call in radio "talk" shows. Not a lot of actual debate, nor much respect for an alternative point of view. Just angry shouting name calling and shutting down of those that oppose and congratulatory back slapping for those that agree.

The liberals are wise to stay out of these things. It's a pointless waste of typing and a great way to get mud flung at you.

Excellent post. You'll see a particular pattern here. A wild and totally false claim thrown out by a conservative. Then a properly sourced debunking of said claim by someone who is not far right, then angry name calling and a personal attack. Then a new claim. I gave up, some people are lost forever.

These threads are run pretty much like conservative call in radio "talk" shows. Not a lot of actual debate, nor much respect for an alternative point of view. Just angry shouting name calling and shutting down of those that oppose and congratulatory back slapping for those that agree.

I listen to Limbaugh just for the fun of it and cherish those rare (and I mean rare) times when a liberal gets through his screeners. There was one particular show from about two years ago that I remember vividly where a liberal caller got on the air and pointed out that Reagan raised taxes more than he lowered them and Rush was incredulous to this fact (or making it sound that way).

What I love the most about listening to him is when a caller gets on the air and starts praising him like he's the second coming of you know who. "Rush, this is the highest honor I've ever had in my entire life, and I'm 85 years old".

Becca, I hear you. The other thing pilots are know for is always running there mouth about something ....example "how do you know when a pilot is in the room? He/she will tell you."

Much like a couple loud mouths I know that were partying out side the mooney tent at OSK....I can't for the life of me remember who that was :).

Anything I say on this thread is meant to be take light heartedly.

I've met some good friends on Mooneyspace who share different views, no problem.

I guess it comes down to life experiences and beliefs.

Take care.

Personally I have seen and experienced in my life that liberals are much more intolerant than conservatives. Yes there are extremes on both side. But I can't recall too many destructive protests that were being held by people that would be considered conservative. I'm sure the occupy walstreet or all these latest violent protests are not being held by a bunch of conservatives. An example (personal) for me at work one day I was having a discussion with a co worker about the POTUS and saying things how I did not like his ideology and what he was doing in office. Another co worker who is typical in that he supports ALL the liberal policies but does not own up to the label of being a liberal was listening in and he became hostile and got in my face and said "I Want To Hit you" well he did not and then proceeded to call me a racist etc. I let the incident go but could have reported him to HR if I wanted. Had the roles been different I can guarantee he would have picked up the phone and called HR to report me. What I really don't understand is why they are so pissed, there team is winning. And when they get all the policies that they hope for and it bites them on the ass I have a big see I told you so waiting for them. And yes I am A conservative and no I don't agree with all the right believes but when asked I proudly take the name of conservative.

Or to make a good country run.

We are stronger BECAUSE of our differences.

I agree to a degree.  The problem is, we have become so stead fast in our differences that we refuse to compromise and nothing gets done. Fueling this is the crappy media that loves having us divided, it sells advertising and boosts ratings. They really don't give a damn about what they're doing to the country, it's about making money. The right wing media and the left wing media are both guilty of this, but some times in different ways.

• Like 1

I agree to a degree.  The problem is, we have become so stead fast in our differences that we refuse to compromise and nothing gets done. Fueling this is the crappy media that loves having us divided, it sells advertising and boosts ratings. They really don't give a damn about what they're doing to the country, it's about making money. The right wing media and the left wing media are both guilty of this, but some times in different ways.

I blame it on the Internet. Prior to it the average Joe had absolutely no voice, now he can get on a soapbox and speak to millions in an instant.

• Like 1

I blame it on the Internet. Prior to it the average Joe had absolutely no voice, now he can get on a soapbox and speak to millions in an instant.

No doubt the internet whips people up and helps to spread ideas, but more often than not, people seem to be typing and repeating exactly what is being said on the TV news outlets and in the news media. On the other hand, the internet is a conspiracy theorist's paradise.

No doubt the internet whips people up and helps to spread ideas, but more often than not, people seem to be typing and repeating exactly what is being said on the TV news outlets and in the news media. On the other hand, the internet is a conspiracy theorist's paradise.

I beg to differ. This is evidenced by the recent about-face from Sony Pictures of releasing The Interview. Had the Internets not been around, public outcry would have been limited to people talking amongst themselves. But Sony apparently was influenced by millions of people online through various forums and the same thing now happens in politics. Do a Google search on "internet influence on politics" and watch your screen fill up.