High Altitude Take off

Oscar Avalle

Great video.  It makes me want to visit!   I have a few questions:  How long was your take off run?  It looked short to me, maybe 1200ft?  (I tried to count the 1000 foot markers).   How long is that runway? It seemed to go on for ever.   Finally, where do you attach your camera?

Great video.  It makes me want to visit!   I have a few questions:  How long was your take off run?  It looked short to me, maybe 1200ft?  (I tried to count the 1000 foot markers).   How long is that runway? It seemed to go on for ever.   Finally, where do you attach your camera?

It is nice...

To respond to your questions:

it took me about 1200 feet to take off. I believe the VGs help. However, note that I started to accelerate in the turn, so I carried already about 10 to 20 mph once I started the take off run. The runway is about 8,500 feet long!!! So nothing to worry about...Traffic, about three to four planes a week! They don't even have a tower...but after I landed the local FAA guy (nice guy) chewed me up because I did not contact him on 118.6. I asked: how should I know that this is the frequency? He said, everybody knows... But is it published? the answer was: no (the airport is not even in the Jepp database of my GTN 750...), but everybody knows that this is the frequency... Long story short, I apologized and the guy said Ok, just call me next time. May I have a look at your plane... I saw that it is nicely equiped... I let him have a look and I went to my meetings... Once I came back, the guy invited me for a coffee and we talked about aviation...Next time, he said I should stay longer.

On take off... during my first try... I had to abort because of a cow  that had decided to cross the runway (and defecate on the runway) and a guy crossing the runway on a bicicle...

I installed the cameras using the adhesive pads that come with the cameras. One just infront of the light under the belly and the other one just under the wing.

• Like 1

Oscar- NICE panel setup!

I just did a 6700 msl airport with a density altitude of 8000+' (it was hot) with a 3% upslope on each end of the runway, can't see the other end from the T/O position

No wind, dead calm took @1500' to get airborne with just me and 1/2 tanks. Took a while to get to 10,500 msl (probably 12,000 density altitude). On my C once I hit about 13,000 DA I'm pretty well done with climbing.

• Like 1