Relocation to DC Area

rangermb

Well...it looks like I may be relocating to the Washington DC area. So, I would be interested in hearing from the gang on recommendations for a new airport. I will be on the SW side of the district so will probably live in northern Virginia. Ideally, I would like to find a hangar (yeah, right!!!) but sometimes it's any port in a storm.

Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

Mike

Hello Mike-

I'll PM you my contact information.  We have a nice group of Mooniacs based in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan Area, as well as a gaggle of Mid-Atlantic Pilots who are currently under the NJ Mooney group.

If you are going to live on the SW side of town / Northern VA, there are a few airports for you:  Manassas (HEF) and Leesburg (JYO) may make sense.  If you are going to be close to the beltway, there are a couple of others, depending on how close in you are (the DC 3 inside the FRZ).

Hangers wise, both Manassas and Leesburg may have openings.  Gaithersburg (GAI) where I'm based, and Frederick (FDK) do not have any openings as well as waiting lists.

Maintenance wise - there are a lot of good mechanics around here.  We have two MSC's in decent range - Freeway W00 is on the east side of the SFRA just outside the FRZ.  Webers is up at Lancaster in PA (LNS) - great airport community.  I use Freeway but would use Webers if Freeway were not available or went away.  They are closer and I have a good relationship with them.  Many people on the board have a good relationship with Webers.

If you go further out, you can probably find hanger space.  Good luck and welcome to the area.

-Seth

An acquaintance lives in Leesburg, but instead of JYO, he keeps his plane at OKV....not sure why, but I suspect it is a hangar availability/cost thing.

Yes - cost is much less at OKV and I know they built some new hangers at JYO a few years ago - don't know about availability.

-Seth

I'm based at VKX.  If you are living in close-in Northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria), I think you will find the drive to the airports in Virginia to be pretty brutal compared to the three FRZ airports.  The FRZ does require a phone call or two for each flight in/out but personally I find it a minor annoyance compared to driving.  

I'm not aware of any available hangars at VKX however they do free up from time to time.  Stan Fetter at nearby W32 might have some hangars, but the ones I looked at years back were pretty run down and I felt that my plane was safer outside.

I'm based at VKX.  If you are living in close-in Northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria), I think you will find the drive to the airports in Virginia to be pretty brutal compared to the three FRZ airports.  The FRZ does require a phone call or two for each flight in/out but personally I find it a minor annoyance compared to driving.  

I'm not aware of any available hangars at VKX however they do free up from time to time.  Stan Fetter at nearby W32 might have some hangars, but the ones I looked at years back were pretty run down and I felt that my plane was safer outside.

This is great advice. Potomac and Hyde fields, while a PITA with the FRZ, lacking great facilities and in bad neighborhoods, offer great convenience as they are very close.... only a 20 minute trip from Arlington, less from Alexandria.

I would rather have root canal at a Celine Dion concert than to commute from VA to DC (you have to cross a bridge). Arlington, McLean or Great Falls are where it's at.........for a price.

I moved into the area about a year ago and based the plane at Stafford (RMN).  I was able to get into a hanger pretty quick, which was the deciding factor for me.  It's a nice airport just outside the SFRA, but the two downsides are lack of on-field mx and I-95 (I live in Fairfax).

I'm moving to DC this fall and liked Potomac Field VKX.  Hangars are priced from $375-400 on the website.  Talked to the airport manager/owner D.W. and put my name on a "hangar waiting list" months ago.  He led me to believe I was in the running.  When one came open he put it up for bid on eBay.  Closed out today at $510/month!  If you have the $$ you have priority.  I'm all for capitalism but there is something unsettling about this tactic.  (I didn't bid BTW)

Closed out today at $510/month!  If you have the $$ you have priority.  I'm all for capitalism but there is something unsettling about this tactic.  (I didn't bid BTW)

Yeow!  That's pricey.

Why not just buy a hangar and re-coup your investment when you sell?   http://beechcraftva42.blogspot.com/

Nothing like building a hangar to appreciate how cheap it is to rent!   :o

• 4 months later...

Hi Mike,

I made the move to DC in October and based at 2W5 in MD. I'm in a nice hangar, paved access, bifold doors. It's an easy drive from the Capitol. They have a new runway, new taxiway this summer ans plans for several more hangars. PM me for more info.

Tim

I believe if your aircraft is based in Stafford (RMN) there is no personal property tax, the county got rid of it to attract people.  Check on that to be sure but that is how it was set up when we lived there a couple years ago. Nice airport and not busy, plus its out of the SFRA