M20R Ovation 3 Fuel Pump Problems... Please help!

ScubaMan

Hey Guys....... I need some help with a fuel pump problem. Just prior to my annual inspection I noticed when I ran the fuel pump on low it would run the pump for a few seconds then stop..... High seems to work just fine. I reported the problem to my mechanic and he send out for a new/rebuilt pump. Same problem after replacement....

This is the email I got after the new replacement pump was installed ......

"We installed the fuel pump, Thursday, and, Friday, found the low side pressure to be way higher than what is stated in the manual.  We attempted to adjust the output by adjusting the boost pump regulator (it is essentially a voltage regulator) as described in the manual and were unable to get a consistent reading.  We contacted tech support, Monday, and they indicated that rarely the regulator fails, but oddly enough have come out with a retrofit kit that removes the current style regulator and replaces it with a “new” style.  The kit has a 120 day lead time and is $1700.  I then contacted another Mooney service center to see if they had any leads on the old style regulator or had the components necessary to assemble a retrofit kit, no joy.  They recommended contacting another service center in Texas, who happens to repair the “old” style regulators.  I have sent it to them for evaluation and quote for repair.  By talking with other techs they verified that we had a pump issue.  So it is good that we put the gauge on it to verify pressure as to not wear out another pump."

This is email I got today....

"We received the pump back late Tuesday and are having the same issue(s).  Pump works when voltage is set high for high output, but when trying to adjust to low output the pump doesn’t operate."

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have not been able to fly for about 6 weeks .... I miss my Mooney!

Thanks for the help

Mike Johnson

Mooney M20R N871TX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...