Replacing Gill with Concord

Hi,

Looks like my M20E only got about 1.5 years out of its last Gill battery which was installed by the previous owner during an annual.  In reading the forums here, it looks like everyone agrees that Concorde  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/rg35a.php is the way to go.

Would this be a simple swap out?  Or would the battery box need to be replaced.  Here is a pic of the current setup.   I'm not expert but the idea of the battery box being metal and open terminals make me a little concerned.

box1.jpg
imag

http://www.google.com/#q=aircraft+electrical+rubber+boots&facrc=_&imgrc=qftoTKeRhVHidM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gen-aircraft-hardware.com%252Fimages%252Fjpg%252Fms25171asst.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gen-aircraft-hardware.com%252Ftemplate.asp%253Fpagename%253Dinsboot%3B480%3B312

I replaced my gill with a Concorde last month after...get this...6 yrs in service. I must have gotten one of the good ones! I had the same concern regarding the exposed cable end near the battery box. I used rubber boots similar to other eletrical connections to cover the ends.

Rubber boots are a good idea. The grommets in the picture are also a good idea.

The metal top of the battery box has (in picture) a plastic insert to keep the battery from bumping the lid.

Double check the weight of the battery is the same. There is a chart supplied by aircraft spruce for weight and dimensions of both the Gil and Concorde batteries.

This comes from my C experience,

-a-

The metal top of the battery box has (in picture) a plastic insert to keep the battery from bumping the lid.

-a-

Looks like other than being a few mm off in either direction, size wise, they're almost identical.  The concord does weigh a few pounds more...    I'm thinking that the plastic insert  to keep the battery from bumping might be a problem as the concord has its own plastic piece between the posts.....

I got my new Concorde battery in the mail yesterday from Airspruce. Shipped in one day!! Wow!! I didn't realize they were soo heavy..hope to instal next week. Thanks for the advise. Troy

I got my new Concorde battery in the mail yesterday from Airspruce. Shipped in one day!! Wow!! I didn't realize they were soo heavy..hope to instal next week. Thanks for the advise. Troy

I will second the BatteryMinder suggestion and add that now is the time to do TLC/PM on that battery box. Clean it well with baking soda, scrape the loose paint off it and repaint with RANDOLPH ACID PROOF BATTERY BOX BLACK PAINT #345.

You may want to consider a battery minder to keep it fully charged. I use one and I don't think I ever go more than 2 weeks without flying my plane. I think the battery minder will help the battery last longer.

Any links to a good batter minder.  How exactly do they work?

Any links to a good batter minder.  How exactly do they work?

The Concorde people have their own recommended battery charger/maintainer. You could check their site for a link. I use a more common 12 volt 'sulfator/charger/maintainer, it's cheaper too. I have pigtails on my plane, ATV, 2 motorbikes, and a 4-stroke snowmobile. I hook the plane up about once every 2 months, bring it to a 'green light'.

Mine is of the Optimate series of chargers, no adverse issues.

Aircraft batteries are a higher voltage than automotive batteries... Aircraft are typically 14.1 where Automotive are 12.0.  Hence the maintainers are of different design.  Battery minder has an AIRCRAFT model that works GREAT with aircraft batteries.  I also use their Automotive model for batteries around the house (tractor, car, truck, etc).  Spend the extra $ and get the RIGHT ONE.

BILL

Battery MINDer aircraft version is the way to go.  Get a harness/lead to connect to the battery, and run it through the baggage area for an easy hook-up in the hangar.  If you got an -AXC version of the Concorde you'll need to update the W&B, but if you got the regular version it shouldn't require a change.

Aircraft batteries are a higher voltage than automotive batteries... Aircraft are typically 14.1 where Automotive are 12.0. Hence the maintainers are of different design. Battery minder has an AIRCRAFT model that works GREAT with aircraft batteries. I also use their Automotive model for batteries around the house (tractor, car, truck, etc). Spend the extra $ and get the RIGHT ONE.

BILL

There is different models depending on the battery, for Concordes require the S5 where I think the Gill needs the S2.