Door Slide Replacement Product

I contacted a company called Mountain View Aviation about a product call the Door Steward.  They have a STC'd replacement for worn door slides/stop for some airplanes, unfortunately Mooney is not yet on the list of STC's.  Their kit replaces the slide with a gas charged cylinder that is spring loaded.  When you open the door latch, the door smoothly opens just like one you would see on a car trunk or hood.  I tried it out on a Piper that is in the same shop that's doing my avionics work and it's really nice.  The owner at MVA said that I should be able to install it as a minor alteration with a field approval, but he said he would give me a full refund if it didn't work out for me.  All parts are PMA'd so he thought it should work.  The kit is around $200.  I'll report back what happens.   

http://www.shop.mtnviewaviation.com/

Don

• Like 2

The automotive world has produced those cylinders in every size and strength.

Holding a mooney baggage door open would not be out of the realm.

It may weigh a pound...?

Good luck,

-a-

I beleive the STC says 1/2 lb. so not a bad trade off.  If the approval goes well, then the luggage door will get tried out.  They already have a product for Cessna twins' luggage doors.  How cool would it be just to hit the latch and let the door open itself.  Of course, its always a good idea to lock it before flight, but this may make it more important to do so.

Don

I'm putting one on my baggage door. My current is worn out and rusty. If nothing else, I'll never again wonder if I latched the baggage door.

BTW, true Minor Alterations (of which this probably qualifies) do not need a Field Approval, just a logbook entry.

I'm putting one on my baggage door. My current is worn out and rusty. If nothing else, I'll never again wonder if I latched the baggage door.

BTW, true Minor Alterations (of which this probably qualifies) do not need a Field Approval, just a logbook entry.

I agree minor alteration no effect on air flow or flight characteristics requires log book entry only.

Order the cheapest one they have and then modify to work on your plane. Or just order the cylinder and the balls and fabricate brackets yourself.  Simple sheet metal work. If you are real ambitious you could sew up a leather sleeve to cover it and make it look nicer.

It would be fine for the baggage door, but not for the cabin door. The door slide fits underneath the door when it is closed. The air spring will need to be mounted outside the door. That is right where the passenger's leg goes. It would be very uncomfortable.

Go sit in the passenger seat and imagine a couple of sheet metal brackets sticking out an inch or so from the bottom edge of the door.

• Like 1

Go sit in the passenger seat and imagine a couple of sheet metal brackets sticking out an inch or so from the bottom edge of the door.

It was my concern as well, so I sat in the Piper and took some measurements and the plain on passenger side seat cushion is a few inches above the lower door opening and it ends up being below your legs.  I then looked in the Mooney and its about the same.  I'll update everyone next week when I have the chance to mock it up in my plane. 

Don

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...