35 Mooneys to fly to KOSH today

yvesg

Yves did an awesome job flying wingman on what became a more challenging final than expected due to a sudden rainstorm that kicked up a little gustiness. We also got our planes cleaned as the rain burst reminded us that it ALWAYS rains on the Caravan ... although this year the annual Sunday rainstorm caught us on final instead of at our BBQ.

Thirty-six planes stuck their landings on a newly-slick runway as briefed, not before the "purple dot" aim point. The landings and over 20GB of video collected will soon be available on the Caravan website.

Please sign up for the Caravan forum (mooneycaravan.com, "community" tab) even if you're not going to OSH with us. Keep up with local Caravan events in your area, which are chances to stay current or learn a new stick-and-rudder skill.

Bien fait, mon camarade!

Ute and I left on Friday for Madison and had a great time with the Mooney Caravan activities.  We are coming back next year and Yves and I are looking to try and host a clinic in Ottawa with some of the expertise available within the Caravan.

This is the little video of our adventure to get here. See

We are still here (as of the time of writing this post on 31 July) and will be leaving on Sunday to go back into the harsh world of working for a living.  

Thank you to all who helped make this a great vacation.

"Flanders"

• Like 5

I will be back - and for my sins (demonstrating initiative in the face of two lawyers) bring two bottles this time.  What Dave Piehler (flight lead) brought this year was better than what I brought - so I will want to bring two of those.  Anyone with any influence should try and prevent either Darwin ("Hot Dog") or Dave Marten ("Sardot") to acquire any until they learn the difference between single malt and blended (my Scot staff sergeant used to tell me that blended was only for foreigners).

I have already filed (VFR) for KANJ to depart today at 13:30 local.  I will use their wi-fi and file eAPIS and call CANPASS.  Looks like CBs over the home drome are forecast till 9:00 pm.  Plan B is either Sudbury or North Bay this evening (unless the buildups dissipate sufficiently for an approach into Ottawa between 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm).

Hope to see you all next year - and for the Caravan officialdom - think East Coast (where the greatest need for clinics exist).

"Flanders"

• Like 2

Did not get off the ground.   :(

While showing my recognition and strobes to Byron, it appears I left the Master on.  So at 40 minutes prior to departure, I cancelled the flight plan and proceeded, battery in hand, to the EAA Emergency repair station.  Thanks to Brett and Dawn for looking after Ute while I was away.  

Put my very good (five year old) Concorde RG35-AXC into the charger and after 35 minutes or so, it was drawing around 9 amps.  The experts felt I could take it off the 12 amp charger and put it on the 2 amp overnight and it should be good to go tomorrow.

Now the plan is to pick up the battery and plan for an 11:30 am or so departure tomorrow.   Weather is changing so we may have to change our route.

[update; - the folks at the EAA emergency repair centre were absolutely wonderful.  I picked up my battery, fully charged, from them on Sunday morning and installed it.  It works great.  I have been told that two times is the limit for fully discharging a Concorde.  Took a total of 4:42 flying to come home (mostly IFR) but dodging some buildups along the way.]

I also had mechanical issues yesterday. My AI would slowly turn me away from reality and DG became inactive. Looks like my vacuum pump ended its life. All this while flying IFR. I landed partial panel but there was no turbulence so All went well.

I checked my log books and it had 1100 hours on it. Time for a new one.

Yves

I also had mechanical issues yesterday. My AI would slowly turn me away from reality and DG became inactive. Looks like my vacuum pump ended its life. All this while flying IFR. I landed partial panel but there was no turbulence so All went well.

I checked my log books and it had 1100 hours on it. Time for a new one.

Yves

Glad you and Diane made it safely....great seeing you again!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to the Mooney meeting at the Forum building on Mon., 7/28. Enjoyed watching the Caravan video that was shown. Hoping to fly in my 231 from Arizona with a friend next year instead of going commercial. Will be sure to watch for details starting in the Spring.

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to the Mooney meeting at the Forum building on Mon., 7/28. Enjoyed watching the Caravan video that was shown. Hoping to fly in my 231 from Arizona with a friend next year instead of going commercial. Will be sure to watch for details starting in the Spring.

Don't wait for spring! Sign up at the "community" tab on the mooneycaravan.com website to ensure you receive updates of clinics and practice opportunities. There will be an AZ clinic as well as a West Texas clinic (El Paso) as well as clinics in CA. It would be a shame to miss them.