Lightspeed PFX Pirep

I had preordered the new Lightspeed PFX headset and have flown around 15hours since.

I am very impressed. It is the first active headset I have owned, so I have no comparison to others. I upgraded from a passive David Clark (which I still love and now my "co-pilot" will be able to use.)

The quality of the PFX is very impressive. It is extremely comfortable (with sunglasses) and even on longer flights I did not really sweat. The sound quality is excellent. The case is very robust; I even had it in my softshell suitcase which I checked in with the airlines recently.

I very happy with my decision to upgrade and for those looking to get a new headset - I can really recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If anyone else has purchased a PFX and can compare it to the Bose or Lightspeed Zulu/Zulu 2 I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

I have a few Lightspeed headsets (original Zulu, Twenty 3G and QXR). Recently I bought my wife ;) a Bose a20 and it's by far the quietest and most comfortable headset I've ever used.

I want to trade the Twenty 3G in on a PFX but they won't have the trade-in plan available until they fulfill all their pre-orders for this unit in September. So I'm waiting to see what their trade-in program is for the PFX.

A couple of differences about the Lightspeed vs. Bose solutions:

Lightspeed:

• I've been very happy with the quality of my Lightspeed headsets.
  • I've sent 2 different headset to them 4 years after purchase and 500 hours of flying and they completely rebuilt the electronics. The only thing I paid for was new earcups and they replaced them at the same time. Customer service at Lightspeed is excellent!
  • PFX has both of the wires going into the control box going in the top.  All the others I've seen are in through the bottom and out the top. I like the idea of both in through the top so I can put the control unit in the side pocket at my feet and not bend/break the input wire.

Bose:

• So far the quality of the Bose headset is comparable to the Lightspeed.
  • I've heard bad things about Bose customer service but have not had to deal with them.
  • With the Bose headsets you can switch the jack end of the cable out between the standard 2 jack microphone/speaker setup to the Nema powered (Bose) jack. Lightspeed is a fixed configuration from the factory. If you fly different airplanes this is a nice feature.

If anyone has anything to add to this I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences as well.

Dave

I bought a Lightspeed Zulu 2 almost one year ago after I was able to compare the Zulu 2 directly with the Bose A20.

Both headsets are very good but I went for the Zulu 2 in the end for several reasons:

- Pro: not as expensive as Bose, direct music AND phone vie bluetooth, fit my head and ears a bit better than the Bose, especially with sunglasses on it was more comfortable
- Draw: Sound quality and noise reduction... - if at all I found the noise reduction of the Zulu 2 a bit better but that might be personal taste or also due to the noise spectrum of that aircraft...
- Cons: still (!!!) no Android app available, very poor marketing decision for Europe!

Another reason to go for the Zulu 2 was that I once owned a Bose noise-cancelling headset with an electronic failure 2 weeks after the warranty ended. Bose replied only after 4 weeks and offered either a repair at higher costs than I paid for the original headset or a new replacement headset at a higher price than I found in ANY store... - thinking about this experience gave me goosebumps when considering the price of the A20 headset... 

I have not tried the PFX.

I own an original Lightspeed Zulu, a Lightspped Zulu 2, and a Bose A20. 

The A20 is what I prefer to wear, however it is my spouse's headset, so when we fly together, I use the Zulu2 and she gets the Bose A20.

The A20 has a superior feel on my head, as well as the sound reduction and better/crisper sound overall, especially the music component - the music just sounds "better" with A20.  However, the A20 is not as well built in my opinion and seems "fragile" with exposed wires compared to the Zulu's.  The first flight the clip for the wire to my shirt literally blew apart - the second one Bose replaced it with cracked after a few days - the third is now a year old and holding up fine - don't know if it was a bad batch or if my hands are too strong.  Their customer service was good for me, but that was in the first month after the purchase.  I'm worried from what I hear if anything goes wrong.

The original Zulu I've sent in twice for repair.  The cords were losing connection at the control unit and I had them repair this - twice. Once under warranty, once not, and they didn't charge me either time.  At the time, they knew Bose was the leader and they want to gain customers.  They have, and they do you right. 

I feel the original Zulu is better than the Bose X (I've used them a few times).  The Zulu 2 is better than the Zulu, and the Bose A20 is better than the Zulu 2.  Interested what others have to say about both the new PFX and the new headset that's pitted against the PFX and A20 (third manufacturer - with the LED map lights).  I forget the name.

I used a David Clark passive for years and at Oshkosh in 2009 I purchased a Zulu.  When the Zulu 2 came out, I had an old David Clark from the 1970s that worked but was not comfy at all.  Zulu gave me a $200 discount (working David Clarks) off the price of a new Zulu 2, so boom - two passive headsets.

The A20 I bought her (me) as a gift after trying some in 2011 and was amazed.  got them in 2013 for her(me).

I still have my passive David Clark as headset #4. 

I may try the Clarity Alofts or QT Halo's soon.

I do not plan on the purchase of a PFX. 

-Seth

I got to try the PFX vs the Zulu 2 size-by-side yesterday at Oshkosh. I own a Zulu 2 and quite frankly find it to be the most comfortable headset I have ever owned. I really did not expect the PFX to be any better. It was better. After the PFX completed its initial setup to map my ear canal, the noise canceling was better than the Zulu 2 without question. The headset is also about 1.5 oz lighter than the Zulu 2 and felt just as comfortable. That behind said, I'm not about to spend $1100 to replace my Zulu 2. It was not that much better, but if I was going to buy a new headset I would probably get the PFX over the Zulu 2 at the current price difference of a couple hundred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got to try the PFX vs the Zulu 2 size-by-side yesterday at Oshkosh. I own a Zulu 2 and quite frankly find it to be the most comfortable headset I have ever owned. I really did not expect the PFX to be any better. It was better. After the PFX completed its initial setup to map my ear canal, the noise canceling was better than the Zulu 2 without question. The headset is also about 1.5 oz lighter than the Zulu 2 and felt just as comfortable. That behind said, I'm not about to spend $1100 to replace my Zulu 2. It was not that much better, but if I was going to buy a new headset I would probably get the PFX over the Zulu 2 at the current price difference of a couple hundred.

Have you used the Bose a20 and can you compare the two?

Have you used the Bose a20 and can you compare the two?

Did not do a side-by-side comparison with the Bose A20. I do like the Bose headsets too but someone else will need to chime in on that.

Go and try it out for yourself! As long as there are no technical problems don't listen to magazines... - you never know how much money they get for supporting a specific brand...

You are familiar with your head, your ears and your airplane. Just buy which offers the biggest bang for the buck and in the end we're all cheap, we're Mooney freaks....  :rolleyes:

I actually went to compare the Bose A20 with the then new Sennheiser S1 and came out of the shop with a Zulu 2. :)

Go and try it out for yourself! As long as there are no technical problems don't listen to magazines... - you never know how much money they get for supporting a specific brand...

You are familiar with your head, your ears and your airplane. Just buy which offers the biggest bang for the buck and in the end we're all cheap, we're Mooney freaks....  :rolleyes:

I actually went to compare the Bose A20 with the then new Sennheiser S1 and came out of the shop with a Zulu 2. :)

Bernd,

If you tried to a20, Sennheiser S1 and a Zulu 2, certainly you tried the PFX. How did the a20 and the PFX compare?

The Aviation Consumer Reviews mentioned side buffeting wind noise when the turned side on the PFX, however I was anxious to try them. We went to the booth at Osh. I put mine on and the other half put hers on. They started the demo test and I turned side ways to ask Sheila how she like them and all of a sudden I got the wind buffeting noise the review mentioned. I tried it several time and the rep said I needed to make sure the earcup was well sealed. I repositioned it and it help a lot, but still some side noise.. I was just not sure so went to Sennheiser and tried their latest and greatest Digital S1. I liked the feel of these and the constant ambient changes. There was a recalibration button on the side to get the best noise cancelling as you gain altitude you may adjust for best noise reduction. The music BT link was incredible. Music sounded great! The were selling them for $995 and they offered $100 bill rebate on the spot. So $895 was the cost. I have been a Bose A20 guy and bought these for a change. I won't let the Bose go though. I just wanted to try something different. Time will tell. 

First of all Aviation consumers report was very unscientific and very subjective of a few peoples experience. If they tried publishing their reports in a peer reviewed journal they would be laughed at and ignored. Do not take their word as gospel. Nobody reviews their results but themselves. This would never pass mustard in medical journals.

I did try the Bose A20 and the PFX At Oshkosh. Both sounded good. Both fit well. The light speed has a larger control box because the unit is much bigger than a simple Bose switch. The best comparison to the two boxes is like the earlier cell phones to the current smart phones. The light speed has better control thru an apple app, has better sound quality, has improved capability, and light speed can and will update new software thru the app. I bought the light speed today after buying 3 earlier bose including the a20, a10 and the first version.

Both are good units. Bose just needs to come up to the modern technological advances.

As far as aviation consumer I subscribe to it, read it and enjoy it. But like many medical journal articles I read I critique the study, and discard the ones that don't have the foundation to support the conclusions. Aviation consumer should try to be a bit more scientific then taking a few people flying a few headsets in a few airplanes and drawing conclusions from it.

First of all Aviation consumers report was very unscientific and very subjective of a few peoples experience. If they tried publishing their reports in a peer reviewed journal they would be laughed at and ignored. Do not take their word as gospel. Nobody reviews their results but themselves. This would never pass mustard in medical journals.

I did try the Bose A20 and the PFX At Oshkosh. Both sounded good. Both fit well. The light speed has a larger control box because the unit is much bigger than a simple Bose switch. The best comparison to the two boxes is like the earlier cell phones to the current smart phones. The light speed has better control thru an apple app, has better sound quality, has improved capability, and light speed can and will update new software thru the app. I bought the light speed today after buying 3 earlier bose including the a20, a10 and the first version.

Both are good units. Bose just needs to come up to the modern technological advances.

As far as aviation consumer I subscribe to it, read it and enjoy it. But like many medical journal articles I read I critique the study, and discard the ones that don't have the foundation to support the conclusions. Aviation consumer should try to be a bit more scientific then taking a few people flying a few headsets in a few airplanes and drawing conclusions from it.

Thanks for the comparison rocketman.

I'll wait until Lightspeed posts the trade-in program and get the PFX and post my own review after flying with it.

My Zulu (one) is my 3rd Lightspeed product upgrading twice.  I checked the PFX at OSH last year and was not impressed with the difference.  I feel the difference is not worth the added dollars.

Lightspeed cust service is #1.  When I had the XL's, they fixed them for me on the spot at Sun N Fun.  My Zulu has needed nothing except new ear pads and batteries. 

BILL

@FlyDave: Unfortunately the PFX was not yet available - not even as a prototype test sample - when I tried the different headsets. The Lightspeed sales guy apologized for this ("due to technical issues") and talked about another 6 months delay (actually more) but I didn't want to wait and the Zulu 2 was actually doing the job so well that I went for it... - and I didn't regret my decision for a minute yet. It just works fine and the bluetooth connection with various devices works like a charm... - the only thing I really hate (!!!) is that their software is only available for Apple stuff... - Android is so much better (and bigger in the meantime) that I'm really getting frustrated...

I will actually recommend BOSE from now on because they treat all their customers with the same respect, while Lightspeed is ignoring the majority of its customers outside the US...

So please go and buy the A20 headset and NOT the PFX or the Zulu2! The BOSE headsets offer great quality, too and some users even reported that their customer service is good! :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

I have had the Lightspeed  PFX headsets for about 2 1/2 years and about 150 flight hours. They have FAILED on 3 separate occasions. I consider them to be totally unreliable. The first failure was "hard" rendering the headset unusable even in "passive" mode. The second and 3rd failure - appears to be the computer board. We will see how Lightspeed Customer Service treats me. I want them to overnight a new headset this time, or refund me my purchase price. This is the second time that I will miss using them in a major aviation event (Mooney Caravan Formation Training). I will keep you posted.

I bought a PFX on charity auction at the Mooney Summit last Fall. I also had issues with it out of the box, in that the noise reduction would come and go, and in flight all of a sudden one side would just change dramatically for no apparent reason. Sent them back (at my shipping cost) and they did repair them. For about four flights they were as good as advertised, very quiet, but then all of a sudden the problem reappeared. So I called up and demanded a new set, rather than a repair. They acquiesced, but I still had to send my old one back at my cost again.

The new ones are set to arrive tomorrow so I hope they are better. I have to say, after the excellent quality of my first two Lightspeed ANR headsets, I have been disappointed in the PFX so far, but I know others have been happy. I hope I just got a lemon unit the first time out.

I traded in one of my Zulus for a PFX when they had a promotion about a year ago. The headset failed -no ANR after a month or so, and I sent it back (my nickel), expecting to receive a new unit. Instead they sent me a repaired unit which is OK, provided everything worked perfectly. Still not convinced that it works as intended, but it seems to work with a little fiddling. The Zulu I didn't trade in works perfectly. Not a fan of Lightsoeed. My previous Bose headsets were totally reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk