Need replacement trim servo for M20K! ($$)

Purchased my M20K/Encore conversion last October. Been loving it ever since. But I've noticed the electric trim has been intermittent a few times, getting worse over time. Really screwed me up on short final the other day, so I had it looked at and it appears the servo has issues.

The bad news from my mechanic:

the switch is ok and we get drive voltage back at the trim servo but there is a

large voltage drop across the motor and it needs help to get started so
we are pretty sure the servo has issues.

Mid-Continent instruments won't overhaul them or do exchanges anymore
because they said the motors now cost over $10000. I spoke to another
place who overhauls them and works with the manufacturer of the motor to
rebuild the motor for a lot less and I can have the one they have for
$6295 exchange plus shipping and R&R labor. 

Anyone know of any other options for getting this servo replaced or overhauled? I'd love to not spend an additional $6k so soon on this airplane! :)

Cheers,

Nicholas

That is incredible. Sounds like salvage is your best bet. The M20J Century trim servo is a motor that spins the trim tube with a chain. Those shouldnt be hard to find.  Is that what you have?

I really don't know. All I know is what I received from my A+P. This stuff is pretty new to me!

That is absurd.  They really are signaling that they do not want to sell any parts.  That they want out of the business, with that kind of pricing.

Last year the trim switch on my yoke went bad and needed to be replaced.  Where it was $400 just a few years ago I was told, the direct from King price was last year $2500.  For a tiny switch.  Luckily I found a single unit of old "new" stock for $800.  But it was unsettling. 

I would be seriously considering a new AP from scratch install vs a 10k servo and risk of further gouging pricing.  I know airplane parts are expensive but seriously King is gouging.

Meanwhile, I am watching the Garmin GX3 developments coupled with the airplane revitalization act closely which may allow us to install it.  For $7500 (parts only) you get an all in one EFIS/GPS/transponder/engine monitor with SVT-AHARS and it also includes a full digital autopilot!!!!  Hopefully that will be available to us sooner than later.  Before anyone else is gauged by King.

• Like 2

Well I had mine rebuilt in my 1982 M20k 1.5 years ago for $800 in Calgary, Canada (they basically gut the thing and put all new parts in, making it new.) It comes from a KFC 200 system. I did talk to Autopilots Central in Tulsa and they suggested $1000 was likely, great people down there as well, you should give them a call.

Unfortunately this situation has been brewing for a few years - the motors are (were) no longer being produced and the stock is now running down - supply and demand and all that. I questioned this with BK at Osh 2012 and he stated they were aware of the situation, and were searching for a new motor supplier. It might be worth catching the ear of BK again this year if anyone is there and getting an update. This is the case for all the servos that attach to a KAP150

Did they check the lubrication of the trim system?  I had a similar issue with my 252 shortly after I bought it and it was binding because the system needed to be lubricated.  Basically it would intermittently bind enough to overcome the servos.  Since its intermittent that may not be the issue but I thought I would ask.  I second calling LASAR.  They had some serviceable parts for my plane that were much cheaper than the other alternatives.

Unfortunately this situation has been brewing for a few years - the motors are (were) no longer being produced and the stock is now running down - supply and demand and all that. I questioned this with BK at Osh 2012 and he stated they were aware of the situation, and were searching for a new motor supplier. It might be worth catching the ear of BK again this year if anyone is there and getting an update. This is the case for all the servos that attach to a KAP150

Does that issue also cover the KFC200?

I would think that at some price point - somewhat lower than $10K that it would be worthwhile to make them available since they would sell them.  But at $10k - supply and demand - and willingness - there would be very little demand when a new autopilot becomes competitive.

Assuming that it was something in the gear motor causing the problem and not external binding a good cleaning and new grease may make a noticeable difference. The motor may also be in need of new brushes and possible bushings or bearings depending on which it has.

Wow. Holy cow .totally crazy...wonder why they want to kill GA. I had my trim servo in my J go about 10 yrs ago,thought a few hundy then was crazy...I hope you'll find a solution you can live with..this is just getting out of control wish u the best...

• Like 1

Did they check the lubrication of the trim system?  I had a similar issue with my 252 shortly after I bought it and it was binding because the system needed to be lubricated.  Basically it would intermittently bind enough to overcome the servos.  Since its intermittent that may not be the issue but I thought I would ask.  I second calling LASAR.  They had some serviceable parts for my plane that were much cheaper than the other alternatives.

They did do a full check out and said if anything it's more loose than expected. No binding.

Quick update, Kent at Bevan Rabell couldn't find anything but recommended Capital Avionics in FL. My guy here also had them on his to-call list and will try tomorrow. He's also going to try Autopilots Central in Tulsa.

He also remembered a place he used to work with in CA and they can do a rebuild for $2000 and turn it around in a day or two. That wouldn't be so bad.

Flying today with the trim intermittent was certainly a joy. Can't wait to have this fixed. Oh and my GMX 200 rebooted during an RNAV approach. Hope that's not another big expense coming down the line.

Will update as this plays out.

Mid-Continent instruments won't overhaul them or do exchanges anymore

because they said the motors now cost over $10000. I spoke to another

place who overhauls them and works with the manufacturer of the motor to

rebuild the motor for a lot less and I can have the one they have for

$6295 exchange plus shipping and R&R labor.

Maybe this is why the previous owner of my 231 removed the auto-pilot and has an STEC installed.

Update: My A&P sent the servo today overnight to Vista Aviation in CA to be refurbished. They seemed confident that they have the parts and expertise since they do a lot of these and estimate $2000 max (hopefully less!) depending on what it needs and a 1-2 day turnaround. Hoping I'll have it back by wednesday week. Shot 4 practice approaches with it this morning and can't wait to have it resolved.