Pirep Request: Air Conditioning in an Ovation

Looking for a pirep on how well the air conditioning system works on a Mooney ovation.  I'm not sure it matters, but I'm be looking for a non-g1000  with the 310 HP STC.  Does it work well on the ground?  How does A/C impact air speed/fuel flow?

No specific plane in mind right now, but I know it won't be a GX.

Thanks

I just  picked up my new O3 from Florida on Friday and flew it home to Atlanta. Had the A/C on the whole way and it worked fine. We had it on the "low" setting which kept us plenty cool. You do see a "low amps" warning when you're running it on the ground at low RPMs but as long as you know that's the cause it's not a bother. It goes away as soon as  you rev up the engine.

Can't vouch for air speed or fuel flow. I can't imagine it would impact either since it's totally electric. All it's doing is placing a load on your alternator. But I've had it all of three days now so I won't claim to be an expert there.

Scott, works great in the Texas heat as long as your cabin is not pre-heated on the ramp.  The compressor is just an automobile compressor.  It draws on the battery when on but the plane is rated for it to be used at any time.  I am speaking as a GX user but assume it is the same set up for the DX and O2.

Russ

I think it works great. Some say it is a luxury but living in the south, I say it is a necessary. I run it on the ground and up to the altitude where OAT reaches 20C or less. You have to turn off the outside vents for it to work but when it is on, it is very comfortable. It is a big current draw but the ovation has a good size alternator and duel batteries so it is not a problem. 

Congrats on the new plane Jeff!

If you don't have an A/C  the icebox thing works. I have used both and REALLY like the installed A/C. The icebox works but isn't close to a replacement for real A/C. Just my opinion! Everyone who does not have one will tell you you don't need one. But get one and you will love it. 

• 2 months later...

We had an owner from TX (since moved up) that ran into difficulty with maintenance on the onboard AC system.

Probably got the wrong refrigerant in it and it took great expense to get it sorted out.

Just a reminder of how things work in aviation.

Best regards,

-a-

There is now a potable air conditioner system which is about 5k but can be left on the ground when not needed for useful load. That would be my choice and opens options for your future ride.

There is now a potable air conditioner system which is about 5k but can be left on the ground when not needed for useful load. That would be my choice and opens options for your future ride.

Link?

Arctic Air made a portable but I didn't hear good pireps.  There was a Dallas based A36 that couldn't get it to work- the electric draw on startup exceeded the specs.  There's another group in East Dallas who has been trying to bring a product to market but the last time I exchanged emails with them (~4 months ago) the were still working on it.

Here you go. The Artuc air site is www.articair.com and look at the products. It is also sold thru Sporty's so they may be a reference source. It appears it is highly dependent on the size one gets and the amps put out by one's alternator. I'd opt for the two fan 24v version. I would think an Ovation Alternator would work just fine. As always buyer beware.

Where does one get this?

You can get them at www.veskimo.com. But check with Google., there are multiple vendors of this. They are popular with the military.

I use the cheap option. I just leave a light jacket inside the refrigerator in the hangar and put it on when getting in the plane. You get an initial shock cooling but it settle quickly. You only need it for when on the ground. After the climb you can take it off or leave it on.

I only use it for temps above 95F

José

• Like 1

I love the airconditioning. I believe it cools the 30deg below outside temp, so when it's 115 outside your feeling still feeling 85 at the vents but that feels surprisingly cool. I fly out in the So. California desert the extra weight is very justifiable for my purpose. As mentioned if you get the cabin super heated on the ramp it will not catch up but I have those reflective window shades that prevent that. For as often as I fly the Ice cooler a/c, which worked well, just melted to fast to offset the incovenience of having to deal with keeping a supply of ice and draining the water.

• 2 weeks later...

My Ovation 3 is equipped with A/C and we are in Sacramento California. It has far exceeded my expectations and will NEVER own an aircraft again without A/C. It even worked great on the ground waiting for clearance release departing Henderson Nevada at 3:00pm in the heart of the heat!

Thanks

Mike