Flying To A Millitary Air Base.

I'm looking to visit Edward Airforce Base's museum, but I don't want to do the long drive through the desert.  I seem to recall there might be some forms that allow a civilian to fly into an Air Force base.  Anyone know if there is a way to get such permission?

Yes...You'll need to fill out a civilian landing permit and fax or email to base Ops.  The form Numbers are DD2401, DD2402 and DD2400.  I recommend finding the correct phone number and point of contact at base ops first to make sure this will be all they need.

The 2401 is the request.  The 2402 is the military version of a liability release and the 2400 is prof of insurance.

You can do a google search or use the USN link Here to get the forms

https://portal.navfac.navy.mil/portal/page/portal/extranet/afl/afl_startup_tab

Been in the Air Force for 15+ years, a pilot for most of those years.  It is possible, but up to the folks at Base Ops.  They are usually helpful and will probably guide you thru the process and forms over the phone if you are courteous and have the basic forms somewhat ready.  Shouldn't be too tough, but they may also totally deny you "just because."

I have 3 pilot friends who are test pilots at Edwards right now.  Do you want me to call them to get a good name / number to BOPS?

How likely would Edwards be to approve such a request? I made such a request of Base Ops at Beale AFB for an altitude chamber ride and was told there was no chance.

I have flown into government airports twice. Once for a safety seminar at Travis AFB and once to fly Young Eagles at Moffett airfield. For the Travis event, I just had to call and get a PPR. The Moffett event required the forms mentioned above and an insurance certificate.

Quote: 16LPilot

I'm looking to visit Edward Airforce Base's museum, but I don't want to do the long drive through the desert.  I seem to recall there might be some forms that allow a civilian to fly into an Air Force base.  Anyone know if there is a way to get such permission?

• 1 month later...

Just received the below information from our local FASST team leader.  Here is the actual link; http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=33617

"NOTE: Heads Up Notice--Edwards AFB Rosamond DRY LAKEBED 'Civilian Fly-In' NOTE: Time & Date"
Topic: Civilian Fly-In and Edwards AFB Flight Safety Event
On October 01, 2010 at 7:00 AM
305 E. Popson Ave.

Edwards, CA 93524

Description:
Edwards AFB is in the "planning stages" of the FIRST ever "CIVILIAN Fly-In to one of our historic dry lakebeds. "This is also a "Flight Safety Event" Only 100 aircraft will be selected to land at the event and will be picked using a lottery system. Those not selected to fly-in will be able to drive to the lakebed. Details are pending final approval, this is only a "heads up" notice.

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

Thank you for using http://FAASafety.gov.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately I won't be going.  I have to work, but also I wouldn't really want to land on the dry lake bed.  It's a combo of not wanting to get dust in every nook and cranny, but also because, being from the general area, it doesn't really seem like landing at Edwards.  I guess it's technically on property, but it's really closer to Rosamond (which has better food).  I've been to Edwards itself, so I'm really looking for the experience of landing on the runway. 

Quote: HopePilot

Well, unfortunately I won't be going.  I have to work, but also I wouldn't really want to land on the dry lake bed.  It's a combo of not wanting to get dust in every nook and cranny, but also because, being from the general area, it doesn't really seem like landing at Edwards.  I guess it's technically on property, but it's really closer to Rosamond (which has better food).  I've been to Edwards itself, so I'm really looking for the experience of landing on the runway.