Landing a Mooney on a Grass Strip

Oscar Avalle

There has been some discussion on how to take off and land a Mooney on a grass field. So I thought I could put together a video sharing with you how I do it (it does not mean that this is the right way to do, nor am I implying that you should do it like this). The way to do it is follow the POH and ask a CFI. But nevertheless to fuel the exchange here goes the video. 

Just as a side note to even fuel the discussion further I mainly use the AOA...

Oscar

http://youtu.be/wsmSszqt46E?list=UUuBPKyU-fEOZGWKutpVtFKw

• Like 1

When I visit grass fields in my C, I fly just like I do from asphalt, except I keep more up-yoke when taxiing and I generally taxi slower and more carefully. If the strip is short [2000'], then it's two people and half tanks or less. We regularly visit a grass strip at the beach, 40' msl, 3500 feet long, that is obstructed by pine trees and power lines to a substation beside the runway on one end--yes, it's the end into the prevailing wind. Fortunately I learned and was based for seven years [until just recently] at a 3000' paved field with trees at both ends, so it was nothing unusual or different.

For the record, I don't go to back-country or unimproved fields, although Piperpainter seems to do so without trouble in his C.

Taxiing takes more power, with lots of up-yoke. Stopping is easier and fast. The ride is not as smooth. If the grass is long and thick, takeoff can be longer, but realistically, my normal takeoff rarely reaches 1000' ground roll, so even if it's 50% longer that's 1500', and from there the distance to clear an obstacle is exactly the same.

Try it, ya'll, you'll like it!

I just don't have any video like Oscar . . .  :(

• Like 2

There has been some discussion on how to take off and land a Mooney on a grass field. So I thought I could put together a video sharing with you how I do it (it does not mean that this is the right way to do, nor am I implying that you should do it like this). The way to do it is follow the POH and ask a CFI. But nevertheless to fuel the exchange here goes the video. 

Just as a side note to even fuel the discussion further I mainly use the AOA...

Oscar

http://youtu.be/wsmSszqt46E?list=UUuBPKyU-fEOZGWKutpVtFKw

What camera and how did you mount it up there???? I LOVE THE VIEW!!!

I like to personally scout, or have a pilot friend scout any grass runway that I am considering using.  Many grass fields have particular areas to look out for.  Examples are wet/soft spots or mid field humps.  One field I land at has a hump right at mid length that will toss you into the air just before you are ready to fly.  I do a short field take-off with lift-off well before that hump.  

Last year I landed at Cape Cod airport in Mashpee, Ma.  Two runways, one short, one plenty long enough with good surface.  However the runways are mowed and maintained areas in the middle of a large green field.  I had problems with picking up visual cues just before touch down.  I had the the aircraft in landing configuration and just continued to touch down with no problem, but not the way I like to land.  Next time I land there, and I will go again,  I will be ready for it and may even do a low a approach just to orient myself to that wide open space and pre-identify touch down area visual cues.  No problem like this on narrow grass strips with lots of visual cues near the runway.  

In my experience and observation of the record,  the real problem comes in taxi and tie down areas.  Seems like there are always holes, swales and ditches to grab a prop tip.  Keep your eyes open when taxing.  Just because a swale is well mowed does not mean your prop is safe.

Many years ago, pre computer,  I had a trip all planned to Little Caymen.  The folks at the airport assured me that many small planes landed there with no problem.  When I got to  South Florida I found a photo of the field, it showed taxing from grass, accross a bare road, to aircraft parking.  I am sure it was fine for a high wing Cessna, but I changed my plans.

Steve

You are right you have to scout the runway before you go fly there. I am always very cautious after II land and the taxi to the tie down. The tie down areas are often not as well maintained as the runway. However I have to say that the most serious nick I got on my prop was from some stone that somehow got onto the runway of a major airport. The prop is within specs but I can still see where the stone hit.

• 2 weeks later...

I operate at M20C and F model off a 2000 foot turf strip all the time. I think it is easier on the aircraft then asphalt. The tires last longer. Sideloads/slight crab are very forgiving. I tend to taxi faster then asphalt so I can keep the nose higher aerodynamically for better prop clearance. I recommend a thorough check of the grass length and make sure there are no significant ruts or holes and make sure it's nice and firm-Not wet!! A couple of cautions are to be conscious of deer or wildlife with a flyby. If you are crossing a parallel road make sure you have enough speed or altitude to clear unannounced vehicles. Go arounds are never a failure if you float to long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk