Canadian ad-hoc Mooney Formation practice

yvesg

Yves, did you guys needed a special authorisation or flight plan to do a formation landing, not someting you see everyday within GA...

The regulation is fairly clear about this. All you need is pre-arrange it between the pilots BEFORE you do it. However there are significant safety considerations.

Ned and I wanted to join the Mooney Caravan last year:

We did not just decide to go do this without being supervised by qualified people. Since there was no clinic in our area, we made arrangements with the Boyds http://www.pittspecials.com who are based in Smiths Falls to get formation training. We did about five sessions with them before the Caravan. We got checked in Madison the day before the Caravan and all went well.

If you are interested in Formation flying with other Mooneys let me know and send me your email address. We might have some sessions here and there with the Boyds and will invite any Mooney pilots that want to participate. It is kind of late for new guys to join the caravan but there is always next year :-)

Yves

• Like 1

Yves,

Remember once configured on final for the element landing STACK LEVEL.. Put lead's cockpit on the horizon. You were way TOO low on short final. You looked good at 51 seconds, but dropped low and stagnated there. Potential setup for a premature touchdown.

Nice job overall. Thanks for sharing.

See you in Madison. Keep it up!

Yves,

Remember once configured on final for the element landing STACK LEVEL.. Put lead's cockpit on the horizon. You were way TOO low on short final. You looked good at 51 seconds, but dropped low and stagnated there. Potential setup for a premature touchdown.

Nice job overall. Thanks for sharing.

See you in Madison. Keep it up!

Thanks for the advise Dave. That was my first formation landing as a wing this year. We'll do more in the next few weeks. I was keeping the spinner aligned with the flap bracket still... don't know why I forgot about stack level.

Cheers

Yves