Mooney Down, 7/11 in Indiana

mooneygirl

My thoughts, prayers, and best wishes go out to all involved. This hits home pretty hard. I volunteer at Greenwood airport and was out mowing around the hangars when they went down. I did not know Bill that much but wish his family all the best it can be. I don't believe that I have ever met Mike, but know from experience that he is at one of the best trauma hospitals in the country. Speedy recovery Mike!

Curt

• Like 1

I received this email from a local Mooney group in FL....

Dear Mooney Enthusiast,

As many of you know, Mooney Instructor Mike Elliot was in a very serious aircraft accident in Greenwood, In.  He had been giving a friend IFR instruction for about a week, and was in the right seat of the Bravo taking off for Texas.  The plane lost power and crashed shortly after takeoff, killing the pilot and seriously injuring Mike.

Ruth and I flew up to Indianapolis this weekend to visit family, and went to the hospital to see Mike today.  Originally he was in critical condition with among other things several broken ribs.  A couple of days ago they upgraded his condition to serious and today they moved him out of the critical care unit to a regular room.  He still cannot talk because of a breathing tube, but is quick to write comments on a small blackboard.

We talked at length with his wife, Alice.  She expects him to be in the hospital several weeks, but says he is much improved and has started therapy and walked about 25 steps.  Luckily, he is from Indianapolis, and has family there to help.  Alice says that he enjoys getting E-mails (n9427v@gmail.com) and she is reading them to him.  Do not expect an answer back.  She does request that you do not ask him about the accident, as it frustrates him because he does not remember many of the details.

As I get more information, I will include it in my regular Mooney Lunch reminders.

Dave
  • Like 3

Oh my God I just found this out from Mike himself. Mike was involved in my initial purchasing of my M20C and was a great help to me. I had no idea he had been involved until I emailed him today. He emailed me back and said he won't be able to fly with me for a while. What a great guy. I offered to help out on any local Tampa area errands he may need help with.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I just read this thread. Thank you everyone for your kindness and prayers. I am getting much better everyday, and am looking forward to when I can return home to Florida. I very much want to get involved with getting the seat belt airbags fast tracked and affordable. Suffice it to say you don't want to break ribs, be on a ventilator, or go thru some of the trauma I did.

I promise I will post more thoughts soon.

Stay safe, stay practiced, be vigilant, train often and intensely. Alice and I thank you again for your respect. I am a fortunate man to have so many caring friends. Bill was one of my best students and friends.

• Like 17