Mooney Down, 7/11 in Indiana

mooneygirl

We believe this is a Mooney that was on its way to Don Maxwell's shop.  Prayers needed for all involved.

A central Indiana fire chief says a pilot was killed and a passenger critically injured when a single-engine airplane lost power after takeoff and clipped two homes before crashing.

Greenwood Fire Chief James Sipes says no one on the ground was injured when the plane crashed about 2:20 p.m. Friday. He says the names of the victims were being withheld.

Sipes said fire crews were a block away and saw the plane clip one house, strike a fence and then clip a second house. He says witnesses helped the passenger escape.

Sipes says the plane caught fire, but it was quickly put out. He says the two houses had minor damage.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.

The crash occurred near Greenwood Municipal Airport, 12 miles south of Indianapolis.

http://wane.com/2014/07/11/pilot-killed-3-hurt-in-indianapolis-area-plane-crash/

Mooney M20M TLS, N72FG: Accident occurred July 11, 2014 near Greenwood Municipal Airport (KHFY), Indiana

Police: Pilot killed, passenger serious injured  

William M. Gilliland:  http://registry.faa.gov/N72FG

https://www.flickr.com/photo

GREENWOOD, Ind. - The pilot of a private plane was killed and a passenger was injured Friday when the plane crashed into two homes near the Greenwood airport. 

The plane went down on Patterson Street, just north of Main Street, and burned in the back yard of the second home that was struck.

The plane went down about 2:15 p.m., scraping the top of a house before hitting the back of a second home and bursting into flames.

The pilot was pronounced dead at the scene. Neighbors were able to pull the a second pilot from the plane as it burned.

That person was taken to Methodist Hospital. Information about that person's condition wasn't immediately released, but the injuries were believed to be serious.

A couple of residents reported they were slightly injured by some downed power lines, but officials said they are not seriously hurt.

The plane apparently lost power shortly after takeoff at Greenwood Municipal Airport, which is just west of Interstate 65 and south of County Line Road.

Police said the plane was en route to another state for an inspection.

The identities of the victims weren't immediately released.

More coverage here with video:

http://wishtv.com/2014/07/11/crews-respond-to-report-of-aircraft-accident-in-greenwood/

The 2nd pilot is a well known Mooney CFII and a member here.  Prayers are needed for all involved!

With the post he made yesterday, it isn't to hard to figure out who that is. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

The body can recover from a lot of trauma. I have a family member who was hit by a car and had the entire frontal lobe of his brain removed. The doc wanted the wife to pull the plug, but she refused. That was 2 years ago and it was a very long road for him, but today he can walk, carry on a normal conversation and take care of himself.

I am just off the phone with Mike Elliott's wife. He is in surgery now at Methodist hospital in Indianapolis.  After the crash, he was pulled out of the wreckage.  He was coherent and could feel all his extremities.  He does have a punctured lung and many broken bones. He may have an injury to his stomach. He is in exploratory surgery now and in critical condition.  Alice asked that I post this.  I told her to let Mike know that we are all praying for him and lifting up Bill, and Bill's family.

• Like 1

This is absolutely terrible and heartbreaking.... I just spoke with Mike yesterday and he was telling me about this flight, I was planning on starting my commercial with him when he got back to FL.  From what I have read about him and through our brief conversations he seems like a wonderful person and an amazing pilot.  My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Indiana University Hospital

1710 North Senate Blvd.

Indianapolis. IN 46202

Room 4202

No flowers, candy of other goodies. Only stuffed animals. Doctor is with him now.

Prayers are helping.

Ecclesiastes 1:2

Teacher: Life is fleeting, like a passing mist. It is like trying to catch hold of a breath; All vanishes like a vapor; everything is a great vanity.

• Like 6