Taking off and landing with an AOA

Oscar Avalle

I saw on Aircraft Spruce the Alpha AOA for $1,000. Mooneys already comes with a stall warning horn. What was the appeal for this product?

José

OMG!  Jose, you have no idea of the debate on this question.  If you would like to read all about the pros and cons, I suggest reviewing the following thread.  Set aside some time.

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/10988-aoa-installation/page-14?hl=installation#entry140960

I saw on Aircraft Spruce the Alpha AOA for $1,000. Mooneys already comes with a stall warning horn. What was the appeal for this product?

José

And with installation it's probably more than double that!

Personally I'd invest in proficiency training and avgas!

But that's just me!

The leading edge stall tab in our Mooneys only senses if its in a positive or negative pressure region in the airfoil.

As such IT IS AN AOA INSTRUMENT! 

I reviewed the O's stall speed chart yesterday...

Between various weights, flaps, and bank angles there are 36 different entries for stall speed in KIAS. An additional set of 36 in KCAS...

So...

I agree, the ASI can tell you what you need in an old-style, analog and memory intensive sort of way...

94 to 53 KIAS...

When the aviation account recovers in another year, I'll be thinking this one over a bit while trying to stay with the KB brand...

When would I use the KCAS stall speeds?

Best regards,

-a-

The main objective of the stall horn is to alert you quickly of the proximity to a stall condition without the pilot need to be looking at an specific instrument. Like when turning from base to final were the pilot is focused on the runway and the plane is at a slow speed turn at low altitude. Excessive bank angle at this point can lead to a stall/spin condition. This why the stall horn is so important.

José

• Like 1