Oxygen cylinder replacement

Awqward

My built-in Composite O2 cylinder is past its life (15yrs) and I need to replace it. In my research I found that an OEM replacement (77cuft) Avox (formerly Scott Aviation) cylinder would cost around 2.000€ Plus tax....not to mention servicing of the regulator (for which they wanted another 2.000€), filling and shipping.....I then discovered that Aerox do a PMA cylinder and I found a distributor in Bordeaux who will replace the cylinder, service the regulator (barring any major repairs) for around 1.800€ (Not including shipping to/from France)....seems a no-brainier to me! Especially if I detour via. Bordeaux on my way back from Cannes in a couple of weeks....What have other people experienced?

Anthony,

Does it make sense to stay with the composite cylinder for another 15 years?

In the back of the O, I have three lead charley weights in the same area that can store an O2 system, and ant-ice system.

I would be thinking how to save a few euros and trade out a couple charley weights. I have no plan to add a FIKI system.

Just asking,

-a-

Hi Carusoam...do you mean why not steel instead of composite, or do you mean remove it altogether and use portable? I guess I was just looking at like-for-like replacement to keep things simple....no other good reason!

And I'm sorry Charley Weights are not something I'm familiar with....do you mean you have dummy weights for the purpose of keeping the CG aft enough and they would come out if you fitted additional equment such as FIKI or an O2 cylinder?

Anthony,

Yes, charley weights are dummy ballast for W&B

I was thinking aluminum or steal in place of the composite one. To save money at the expense of some additional weight.

The long bodies have a spot for at least three blocks of lead back by the radio shelf.

The installed O2 bottle goes in that area and W&B are adjusted by removing some lead.

I have enough lead back there, I could go with a large steal or aluminum tank and lose some lead.... While saving money on the lower cost tank.

Other things that can be put back there are additional nav equipment, O2 and anti ice...

Unfortunately, I don't have the J W&B experience....

Best regards,

-a-

The Equipment list for my J shows 37.2lb @ 125.0" for the O2 system which I assume is when full (about 10lb of O2)....I have checked the W&B with the cylinder and regulator (which is most of that 37lb) removed and I'm still within the CG limits so no need for Charley weights while it is removed for service.....but in any case I will keep some weight in the baggage compartment to partially compensate....

AQ

I ran the numbers back in 2012 for the new owner of the 1998 Ovation (29-0156) I'd previously owned.

Below is straight off their web site.  The current conversion of USD $1,600 = EU 1,177.26, add another USD $100 and it comes with a new regulator.  Be generous and add something for shipping, and installation is about an hour - an awkward job, but still about an hour.

The EU 2,000 you mention converts to USD $2,718.18 which suggests a generous margin for the seller. Maybe they want to retire early.....

Price check in April 2012

Description (A): KF-115, For built-in applications

Diameter: 23.1 cm. (9.10 in)

Length: 83.3 cm. (32.8 in)

Avg. Weight: 7.9 kg. (17.5 lb)

Max. Volume: 3256 liters (115 cu. ft.)

Typ. Volume: 128 bar (1850 psig)

THREADS: 3/4-16 UNF (SAE-8)

MH Item #:-------------------- Description:------------------ Price: USD

00CYL-1054-00              KF-115 w/no valve                        

Product00CYL-1054-00KF-115-Kevlar-Cyl(115-Cu.-Ft.)Price/Unit USD 1,600.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00CYL-1054-01             KF-115 w/CGA-540 valve             

Product00CYL-1054-01KF-115-W/540-ValvePrice/Unit USD 1,700.00 (now USD$1,715.00)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

Yes, that's typical of US vs EU cost! For example I am paying around $15.50 a Gallon for avgas.... Everything is automatically 20-25% more due to Value Added TaxSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$15.50 for avgas? I don't know how anyone can afford to fly with prices like that. We still have places here that it can be had for in the mid to high $4 dollar range. I guess when you adjust for the value of the dollar as compared to the late 80s when I learned to fly( and it was about $1.60), we are not doing too bad over here.

Yes...not too bad at all! In I just finished reading a quote from an avionics shop to supply and install an EDM700 (4cyl) with oil temp and fuel flow capable (existing transducer) for $9,500... I was originally looking at a CGR-30P but was quoted $13,000.... It's almost worth flying across the Atlantiic and getting work done in the US!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk