"USA Today" Piece on GA

Well, it appears just as liberals always in the end end up ruling over disgruntled conservatives, the Sunnis are apparently meant to rule over Shia's. Of course, if the prior president ever opened a book other than "My Pet Goat" and spent a day looking at map, he'd realize that countries with borders drawn with rulers by a drunken Brit were not meant to be stable. And no, Berry did not abandoned Iraq, Iraq failed to extend the status of forces agreement and essentially reserved a right to prosecute our soldiers in their courts. So we left. Thanks God. Let that shiathole get spit into 3 countries it was always meant to be. It will keep the Iranians busy for next 20 years and off our asses.

• Like 1

Obama and his staff are in the situation room vigorously defending Iraq as we speak:

http://www.windstream.net/news/read/category/Other%20Sports%20News/article/the_associated_press-obama_hosts_presidents_cup_golfers_at_white_house-ap

How could I ever have doubted him?

How ironic the President's Cup is named after Bush's great grandfather. I smell a scandal.

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2007/11/images/20071105-1_d-0304-3-515h.html

As to government involvement in product liability and safety, here is a video for all Tea Partiers always longing to go to the good old days:

I hate this video. It proves very little and I happen to love old cars as much as airplanes.

I hate this video. It proves very little and I happen to love old cars as much as airplanes.

Well, it proves one thing: safety in automobile design has gone up tremendously over the years. If you look at the stats (like I do all the time working in insurance), the fatality rate in similar collisions is down six fold between 1950's and now. Airbags, crumple zones, high strength steel, soft padding, collapsible steering wheels, make a ton of difference. They are always first available in the S class, BMW 7 series, Volvo 900/800 and then trickles down by government/insurance mandates. 

I love old cars too, old motorcycles even more. Shiat, I fly a Bravo, with fatality rate of 3 in 100 built so far. However, my daily drivers are always bought with crash ratings in mind. My toys, not so much. 

Did Mercedes Benz and Chrysler etc...develop air bags, crash zones etc. because of government mandates or through competitive demands? 

If it were up to the manufacturers, we'd still be driving around in cars with the safety record of a Pinto and mileage of a 1968 Sedan DeVille. Don't kid yourself.

They are always first available in the S class, BMW 7 series, Volvo 900/800 and then trickles down by government/insurance mandates. 

Just to set the record straight, GM was the first company to offer optional airbags on some it's upper end cars in 1974. By contrast, Mercedes didn't offer it as an option until 1981 and then on only one model. In 1987, Porsche was the first to make airbags standard, but again, only on one specific model. However, the next year in 1988, Chrysler was the first company to have standard driver airbags on all their offerings. Europe was actually well behind in airbag adoption. We now have driver and passenger airbags on all cars sold in America by mandate.

My point being, the Europeans are rarely at the vanguard of automotive safety. Nearly all the safety systems we take for granted now, were invented, developed and implemented here in the US first. I just like to give credit to Detroit where credit is due.

• Like 4

Not sure anyone has read this yet, but congress wants to sue the president.

This article says that "the president does what he pleases" and "cherry-picks provisions of laws that he likes and excludes those he doesn't"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/28/washington/28sign.html?ex=1309147200&en=0e579314fd928689&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

I'm still trying to reconcile how you can view the world so black and white and yet work for a safety management division of an insurance company. Your entire existence depends on vast array of government regulations, a sue happy legal system and the pesky Wall Street and the evil reserve bankers. The only ASS I ever see on this forum is you, Sir. 

As to asking me what I do, I am a minority owner an insurance company and a majority owner of a software company. Yes, both of the enterprises suck heavily on government tit.

• Like 1

Just to set the record straight, GM was the first company to offer optional airbags on some it's upper end cars in 1974. By contrast, Mercedes didn't offer it as an option until 1981 and then on only one model. In 1987, Porsche was the first to make airbags standard, but again, only on one specific model. However, the next year in 1988, Chrysler was the first company to have standard driver airbags on all their offerings. Europe was actually well behind in airbag adoption. We now have driver and passenger airbags on all cars sold in America by mandate.

My point being, the Europeans are rarely at the vanguard of automotive safety. Nearly all the safety systems we take for granted now, were invented, developed and implemented here in the US first. I just like to give credit to Detroit where credit is due.

Anti-lock breaks are an interesting safety feature that is mandated in the EU, but not in the USA.  Yet most cars seem to come with it.  I guess most drivers can see the benefits every day, and are willing to accept the cost.   Airbags are a much tougher sale.  It's a feature you hope you never use.  And like insurance, some would prefer not to pay for it.  It's not surprising it took a government mandate. 

And to bring it back on topic.   The government mandates airbags in cars.  And the government seems to make it difficult and expensive to put an airbag in a plane.  No grand conspiracy with aircraft makers.  Just a bureaucracy (FAA) that seems so conservative that it doesn't allow the easy adoption of proven life saving technology.  Airframe parachutes and seat belt airbags come to mind.

Anti-lock breaks are an interesting safety feature that is mandated in the EU, but not in the USA.  Yet most cars seem to come with it.  I guess most drivers can see the benefits every day, and are willing to accept the cost.   Airbags are a much tougher sale.  It's a feature you hope you never use.  And like insurance, some would prefer not to pay for it.  It's not surprising it took a government mandate. 

And to bring it back on topic.   The government mandates airbags in cars.  And the government seems to make it difficult and expensive to put an airbag in a plane.  No grand conspiracy with aircraft makers.  Just a bureaucracy (FAA) that seems so conservative that it doesn't allow the easy adoption of proven life saving technology.  Airframe parachutes and seat belt airbags come to mind.

Two interesting things related to this. Anti-skid systems were found in large aircraft as early as the 1950's, the 707 being one of them. It took nearly forty years to find their way into cars, albeit at a fraction of the weight.

The other is that I was recently on an American Airlines flight and the seatbelt had a built-in airbag. Never saw that before.

I have a suggestion for anyone participating in this hopelessly derailed thread- There is a web forum called pilotsofamerica.com  It is absolutely free to join and has very little moderation. There you will find a sub forum called the "Spin Zone".  You have to opt into it. In this forum you will find numerous pilots that want nothing more than spout hatred, anger and politics at one another. I hope for the sake of Mooneyspace that you can see fit to join the folks over there where you can continue this "intelligent conversation" in all the color and intensity you most desire. I will even join you if you like as I am a member there too. Please leave Mooneyspace free of the mud, filth and dark, brooding hatred.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 4

OSHA adopts other standards. Never writes 'em. NFPA, FM, UL, ANSI, etc.

They can close OSHA tomorrow and I and my carrier are good to go. Happy suckling little piggy.

Yes, because once the companies are no longer required to comply with safety regulations, they will continue them out of the goodness of their hearts. See the industrial accident rates before OSHA. Worker fatality used to be close to 40 per year per 100,000 workers prior of OSHA, now it's down to 8 or so.

And I do not appreciate threats about kicking my ass in private messages. Basically shows your mindset is one of a simpleton and/or moron. But that's to be expected. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

You mean like this CNN discussion of the $104,900,000.00 Bill has made from speaking fees since leaving office or the $5,000,000.00 Hilary has made just since she was Secretary of State?

http://www.windstream.net/tv/3/player/vendor/CNN/player/cnn/asset/cnn-clinton_1049_million_in_speaking_fees-cnn

Not quite $104m, but still respectful..

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/george-w-bush-racks-15-million-speaking-fees-192157129.html

And when was he claiming to broke ... or making it sound like he was a normal income-tax payer like the rest of us?

And where is your acknowledgement that CNN and the Washington Post, who did the research are hardly the "pull yourself by your boot straps and keep your government hands off my social security disability checks crowd..." ?

Instead of continuing to blame Bush, maybe just accept a little truth once in a while? It won't hurt too bad. You might find you like the truth instead of embracing lies?

You have me totally wrong my dear man. I only blame Bush for the two wars, NSA Surveillance and part of the lousy economy. After 2011 Obama owned it all by himself.