Max Conrad: Could he have done better with a Mooney?

pinerunner

2 hours ago, glafaille said:

Steingar:

Sorry but you are mistaken on this particular record setting flight.

Max Conrad flew a Comanche 180 from Casablanca to El Paso.  Same engine as the C model Mooney.

Yeah he did, but those 180 Comanches are the dogs of the fleet.  Everyone wants the ones with the more powerful engines, to go that much faster.

What's the difference between a Comanche and a Mooney?

Comanche burns longer.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If I recall Max used very low power settings to get max range so you are not going to see 140 KTS.

Per the M20C POH max endurance is at 1800 RPM and 17 In. 5.7 GPH and 109 MPH. you can stay aloft for 9.7 hours with stock tanks.

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Yeah he did, but those 180 Comanches are the dogs of the fleet.  Everyone wants the ones with the more powerful engines, to go that much faster.

What's the difference between a Comanche and a Mooney?

Comanche burns longer.

Having owned 2 Mooneys and 2 Comanches, I prefer my Comanche hands down.  Fuel efficiency while nice, isn't everything.

Clarence

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Per the M20C POH max endurance is at 1800 RPM and 17 In. 5.7 GPH and 109 MPH. you can stay aloft for 9.7 hours with stock tanks.

The Owners Manual for my 1970 M20-C shows the Max. Range and Endurance to be 16" / 2400, 6.6 gph for 6:57 and 1019 statute miles. This includes fuel for taxi and takeoff, extra fuel for the climb at max power and best rate of climb to 10,000 msl, and leaves you with 45-minute IFR reserves (6.6 gph x 7 hours = 46.2 gal, leaving 5.8 gal reserve).

At altitudes higher and lower than 10,000, range and endurance fall off pretty quickly; 10,000 msl is the sweet spot.

• Like 1