Max Conrad: Could he have done better with a Mooney?

pinerunner

I was just reading about the insane distance exploits of Max Conrad in his 250 Comanche. Like going from Africa to Texas and having gas left over. It was natural to wonder; what if he'd had a Mooney? His plane had  lot of auxiliary gas tanks and he apparently could get by with no sleep for a couple days. He took out the starter and put in a lighter generator. No frills; just the mission. What if he'd had a Mooney?

Max's Comanche started out as a 250 but he put a 180 in it.  All of his record flights were done with the 180hp.  I think a Mooney would have fitted his needs better than the Comanche, but he had a long relationship with Piper.  I think they gave him (or gave him a great deal) his Comanches.  

He was a heck of a guy.  He had something over 56,000hr TT when he died.  

Dan 

My top picks when I bought a plane were between a Comanche 250 or pre-electric gear/flap Mooney.  I recently read somewhere that Al Mooney, at Piper's behest, did the original design work on the Comanche.  Can't remember where I saw that but it made sense to me why the two planes are so attractive. 

My top picks when I bought a plane were between a Comanche 250 or pre-electric gear/flap Mooney.  I recently read somewhere that Al Mooney, at Piper's behest, did the original design work on the Comanche.  Can't remember where I saw that but it made sense to me why the two planes are so attractive. 

According to this you are correct.  http://www.comanchepilot.com/Development/development.html

I had never knew that.  It makes me respect Al Mooney even more.  

One of the first planes I ever flew in as a kid was a Comanche twin. I was just a little kid but I can remember that airplane. As for which is better I like them all. I bought a mooney so I guess for me that answers that.

1500 useful load, 720 pounds with full fuel, 6+ hour endurance, 1000+ NM range, take off in 1200 ft, climb at 1500+ fpm.

As much as i loved my Mooney's, it's not a Mooney, a Beech or a Cessna.

There are pictures of the first Comanches with Mooney trailing link gear.

Clarence

Forgot to add, pick the story of Max Conrad, Into the Wind, it's a great read

The first flying I can remember was when I was about 5 or 6 and flying with my Grandfather in his Comanche 250.  That's when I knew I'd have an airplane someday.  I did my high performance/complex in a Comanche 250 and did two hours in one in preparations for the Mooney check out before buying my M20C.  I briefly looked at Comanche's when it looked like the deal on the Mooney might fall through.  I love the Comanche, but for the money, I don't think you can beat my Mooney.

• Like 1

Max's Comanche started out as a 250 but he put a 180 in it.  All of his record flights were done with the 180hp.  I think a Mooney would have fitted his needs better than the Comanche, but he had a long relationship with Piper.  I think they gave him (or gave him a great deal) his Comanches.  

He was a heck of a guy.  He had something over 56,000hr TT when he died.  

Dan 

He did a bunch of non-record ferry flights for Piper. He's probably got an untouchable (if there is such a thing) record for hours over the mid atlantic in prop-driven aircraft.

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, glafaille said:

His record from Casablanca to El Paso still stands.  Someone with a Mooney could give it a try! 

Don't tempt me....I have done over the ocean in a single before.......older and wiser now but I would love to break the record.....

I wonder how far a 64c could fly if tanked up.......

Jonathan Paul flew a stock E from San Diego to Savannah, GA two or three years ago. His flight was followed here, and he submitted a writeup afterwards. Makes me wonder what the difference in mileage is? Seems he landed with several hours fuel, too. But it was not a fast flight . . . 

59 minutes ago, Hank said:

Jonathan Paul flew a stock E from San Diego to Savannah, GA two or three years ago. His flight was followed here, and he submitted a writeup afterwards. Makes me wonder what the difference in mileage is? Seems he landed with several hours fuel, too. But it was not a fast flight . . . 

I love reading his accounts. He had long range tanks and could hold 90 gallons. He also waited for just the right wind conditions to help out. His accounts make me wonder what I could pull off with just 52 gallons in my standard 64 E model. In a pinch its also good to know that you can stretch your reserve by dropping to 6 gph.

I've read that Piper actually lost money on the Comanches, and the flooding just gave them an excuse to pull the plug.  Difference between a Comanche and a Mooney: Comanche uses a big engine to do its wonders, Mooney gets by on efficiency.

I can see why folks like them.  Cavernous interiors. Poor man's Bonanza.

12 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Don't tempt me....I have done over the ocean in a single before.......older and wiser now but I would love to break the record.....

I wonder how far a 64c could fly if tanked up.......

Go for it!  I'd love to see if the record could be bettered.  For some  of Max's records he took off at nearly double the normal gross weight, just shy of 6000 lbs.

Clarence

It was enjoyable to watch John Paul select all the things to make his flight a success...

He watched the weather like a sailor watches the tides, connecting tail winds generated by the weather's pressure systems...

Transcontinental Mooneys are cool! :)

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, steingar said:

I've read that Piper actually lost money on the Comanches, and the flooding just gave them an excuse to pull the plug.  Difference between a Comanche and a Mooney: Comanche uses a big engine to do its wonders, Mooney gets by on efficiency.

I can see why folks like them.  Cavernous interiors. Poor man's Bonanza.

Steingar:

Sorry but you are mistaken on this particular record setting flight.

Max Conrad flew a Comanche 180 from Casablanca to El Paso.  Same engine as the C model Mooney.