Anyone know how to find this trim part for my M20E?

This is a plastic trim part that goes around the door and helps hold and cover the ugly parts of some interior plastic as well as the welting around the door. Anyone know the proper name and where I can find it new? A black substitute just doesn't seem proper.post-12032-0-67711900-1402521134_thumb.j

A decade or more ago I replaced the side window surrounds, cabin roof, and door plastic with products from what is now Plane Plastics (I think).  I Purchased yards of a white or off white version of a plastic extrusion similar the item pictured and put it around all bare edges of the panels, including around the side windows.  However, around the door itself there is another product like a covered cord with attach tab that I think is called "welting".  I did not feel the need to replace that, but did check availability.  I am sure that Airtex interiors has it.  

What you need is some rubber "U-channel" in white, like what goes around the window bezel against the glass. My J has that, and its screwed through the inside edge of the U-channel, through the windlace, and into the airplane.  Plastic fits insie the channel and it looks clean. Give LASAR a call, describe the situation, and let them send it to you.

Thanks for the comments. I discovered the name--"pinch welting". I know Plane Plastics does not have this particular part and I'm checking with Lasar. So far I can't find any good substitutes.

Sometimes called a PVC extrusion.

PVC because the plastic is called that.

Extrusion is the process that made it.

It has aged and turned yellow and got brittle over time.

I don't recall having seen that extrusion in my Mooneys... They would have used aluminum? I think.

Best regards,

-a-

Sometimes called a PVC extrusion.

PVC because the plastic is called that.

Extrusion is the process that made it.

It has aged and turned yellow and got brittle over time.

I don't recall having seen that extrusion in my Mooneys... They would have used aluminum? I think.

Best regards,

-a-

The trim is actually aluminum covered with the plalstic extrusion. It's different than car trim in that one side sticks out further than the other to allow for fasteners to be screwed into it.

I just threw a bunch of this stuff out when I put in Bruce Jaeger's spatial interior. He has a real nice silicone trim piece that he sells to go around the window and trim pieces that is a lot nicer than what came out of my 1970 F model from the factory About 1.25/ft if I remember. You will also need some dow corning silicone glue for it, about $10

Contact him at Bruce@jaegeraviation.com

• 6 months later...

I just threw a bunch of this stuff out when I put in Bruce Jaeger's spatial interior. He has a real nice silicone trim piece that he sells to go around the window and trim pieces that is a lot nicer than what came out of my 1970 F model from the factory About 1.25/ft if I remember. You will also need some dow corning silicone glue for it, about $10

Contact him at Bruce@jaegeraviation.com

That silicone edging really makes for a clean trim. The softness of it conforms to irregularities in the panel edges and give a clean, sharp finish to the overall look.