KT74 integration with GNS530w

Understood. I was trying to say I was unsure if the Arrapeo transponder would have its own internal GPS, or be certified together with a Stratus 2, using the Stratus 2 as the GPS source?

After re-reading previous posts, one by someone who saw it at Oshkosh, my is understanding the Arrapeo transponder will have it's own WAAS GPS for a position source, and the Stratus will do only what it does now, provide ADS-B IN, GPS and AHRS to Foreflight via wireless.

The GPS information being sent to Foreflight will now come from the transponder's certified WAAS GPS, not the uncertified WAAS GPS built into the Stratus. The only thing coming from the stratus unit will be the AHRS information and of course the WIFI signal to relay GPS, traffic, and weather info coming from the transponder.

There's a timing to all this. Wait long enough for new options to be placed on the table, but not so long good shops are booked solid and the equipment is out of stock / sold out ... and you end up "non-compliant."

"Good things come to those who wait - not for those who wait too late ... "

Bill Withers, "Just the Two of Us."

Don't you mean "Lean on me"?

• 2 weeks later...

No I am thinking it was "Just the Two of Us?"

Every now and then ... I get something right ...

I admit my joke didn't come across well. I don't remember the original post that I responded to, but I think it was about government intrusion so I thought "Lean On Me" was a cute response.

• 5 months later...

I installed a KT74 and integrated it my Garmin 530 two weeks ago.  I now have a traffic page and traffic alerts on the 530 as well as audio alerts  which is great.  I also get ADS-B traffic on my ipad mini.

Two questions:

- does anyone know how to configure the 530 to show the traffic on the map page?

-Is there a way to set up the traffic alert's distance and Alt on the 530? or is it set in KT74?

Thanks,

Driver

Not sure about , but to have ADSB out , the tray MUST be changed.....The WAAS position info is fed to the 74 through a separate connector not on the old tray...

That is incorrect. If you only want ADS-B out, you do not need to change the tray . There is a GPS position input in the first connector .

If you want more than the ADS-B (TIS traffic, altitude alert , Audio alert) then you do need the second connector and will need to change the tray.

That is incorrect. If you only want ADS-B out, you do not need to change the tray . There is a GPS position input in the first connector .

If you want more than the ADS-B (TIS traffic, altitude alert , Audio alert) then you do need the second connector and will need to change the tray.

That is correct and the same as what I was told by the installer.  We changed the tray and circuit breaker since it was 5 amps and the KT74 has to be 3 amps.  The air speed switch was need to sense the GND status.

I have a traffic page on the GNS530 but don't see any traffic on the map page.  There is a traffic alert page the pops up when there is an airplane nearby.   Is there a way to set it up to see the traffic in the map page?

Agreed with the circuit breaker

Agreed with the speed switch ( it is required for ADS-B out but is connected to the 1st connector)

Disagree on the need to change the tray to get a bare bone ADS-B out. The WAAS position from the GNS xxxW can be connected to the 1st connector via the RS-232 in pin

If you want to see traffic on the GNS xxxW , then yes , you do need the second connector ( and need to change the tray as a result) in order to connect the ARINC pin to the GNS xxxW.

To see traffic , TIS-A ( not TIS-B) you need to configure the GNSxxxW ARINC pin to which your KT-74 was connected to. If it was connected. ( not required for ADS-B out)

Happy to go through the install manual and help you configure . I am based in KLVK .