KT74 integration with GNS530w

I just had the ADS-B out installation done with my KT74 and Garmin 430W at Lancaster Avionics, PA.  Installation went well.  They were able to do the ADS-B out installation using the existing 76A tray and existing connector but you need the new tray if they connect the transponder to the audio panel for the altitude alerts.  I had an autopilot and did not believe that I would need that feature.  The STC calls for a speed sensor switch that triggers at about 34 knots to determine ground/flight status.  The switch runs about $100.  They updated the transponder from version 3.9 to 3.12 and my Garmin to version 5.10 and they had to upgrade my transponder coaxial  cable from RG-58 to RG-400.  I have made two flights since installation and it works well with Wing-X. I also sent the email to the FAA for a performance report [ '9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov'  with my tail number, transponder make and model, and GPS make and model ] and the report showed no errors and good performance.  The FAA report is not required but does give some assurance that everything works.  I am all set.

• Like 1

I just had the ADS-B out installation done with my KT74 and Garmin 430W at Lancaster Avionics, PA.  Installation went well.  They were able to do the ADS-B out installation using the existing 76A tray and existing connector but you need the new tray if they connect the transponder to the audio panel for the altitude alerts.  I had an autopilot and did not believe that I would need that feature.  The STC calls for a speed sensor switch that triggers at about 34 knots to determine ground/flight status.  The switch runs about $100.  They updated the transponder from version 3.9 to 3.12 and my Garmin to version 5.10 and they had to upgrade my transponder coaxial  cable from RG-58 to RG-400.  I have made two flights since installation and it works well with Wing-X. I also sent the email to the FAA for a performance report [ '9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov'  with my tail number, transponder make and model, and GPS make and model ] and the report showed no errors and good performance.  The FAA report is not required but does give some assurance that everything works.  I am all set.

Assuming you have an airspeed switch on your Mooney behind the ASI, did you consider using that in lieu of installing another switch - since it does the same thing? 

Assuming you have an airspeed switch on your Mooney behind the ASI, did you consider using that in lieu of installing another switch - since it does the same thing? 

This installation was on a Cherokee but the STC did not distinguish between retractables when discussing the requirement for the switch.  Seems logical that your current switch could be used if it meets the same trigger speeds but I would discuss with the avionics shop you plan to use for the installation.  I understand that the Garmin transponder does not require a switch, but uses the GPS speed as a trigger instead. 

• Like 1

This installation was on a Cherokee but the STC did not distinguish between retractables when discussing the requirement for the switch. Seems logical that your current switch could be used if it meets the same trigger speeds but I would discuss with the avionics shop you plan to use for the installation. I understand that the Garmin transponder does not require a switch, but uses the GPS speed as a trigger instead.

My avionics guy flatly refused to piggyback off any safety device, understandable I think.

Does the 88 do the same regarding use GPS speed?

I still have some time before I pull the trigger on this. Just going to keep my eyes and ears open until then.

Some shops are suggesting going with a GDL -88 and leaving the current Mode C ... To get traffic etc on the GPS display.

Budget permitting, I really want to do both a 1090ES (to comply with ICAO Standards flying outside the U.S.) and a GDL-88 (to get ASD-B displayed on the GPS). Nothing cheap to buy on this thread! The savings on the KT-74 may just be what enables us to do the GDL-88?

I'm supposed to have the KT74 installed in Griffin this Friday.  

• Like 1

We'll be waiting for your news!

Forgot about the requirement for a speed switch used as ground/air sensor.

You'll have to give us a full report!

(They are one of the shops from which I have requested an estimate.)

I have a 430W and kt76A.  He said it would take all day and is charging me around $500.  I have nothing in writing, so I'll have to see what the final cost is.  BTW, I ended up buying the KT74 from Sarasota avionics.  I originally ordered the transponder in Griffin, but they got 2 backorder emails.  My install date has been pushed back twice b/c of the backorder.  The only way I was going to get the install before February was to get it from someone who already had it in stock.

So

So one more question (can't promise it will be the last)

Were you able to use the same coax/antenna for the KT-74?

If you still have the RG-58 cable, it will have to be upgraded.  My avionics shop said that the King installation instructions for the KT74 require the upgrade even if you are installing the transponder for just Mode S.  I believe that they upgraded mine to RG-400.

• Like 1

Here is an early picture of what the Appareo 1090 extended squirted transponder looks like. It has it's own certified wass internal gps and provides a interface for the Stratus II units.

Looks like a nice option, perhaps better than KT74 with all the integration issues.  I would go for this unit as long as it is priced right.

They are saying delivery in fall 2015, but others have had problems meeting their announced released dates. Appareo does seem to have an advantage since they are using their own gps and not trying to certify it to work with a certain version of someone else's software which may change at any time.

If we get a enough brands on the market at some point we will see some price cutting starting.

https://www.appareo.com/aviation/ads-b/

I've been following the topic with great interest. I've got the 530W but no Stratus or any other ADS-B type kit.  I'm thinking I'll wait until Oshkosh where I can see what's the latest and also spend some time talking face to face with factory reps, and even more time talking with fellow flyers... possibly over an adult beverage or two.

Is it too early to be thinking about OSH 2015?

I've been following the topic with great interest. I've got the 530W but no Stratus or any other ADS-B type kit.  I'm thinking I'll wait until Oshkosh where I can see what's the latest and also spend some time talking face to face with factory reps, and even more time talking with fellow flyers... possibly over an adult beverage or two.

Is it too early to be thinking about OSH 2015?

I started this topic in June of 2014 and was asking shops to take my money and install a KT74 and integrate it with my GNS530.  I am glad it did not work out.  There are so many additional options coming and most look better than King and Garmin integration.

I was close to buying a Garmin 330es but now I am thinking about waiting till after OSH.

• Like 1

Unless prices drop quite a bit, I don't see how I'd come out much cheaper. 2600 for the kt74 and 500 for the install. For someone that has a waas gps and kt76a, the kt74 is the way to go IMO.

Of course my situation was easier to decide since my transponder was acting funny.

Sorry I meant the kt74 requires a new tray.

Actually, the KT 74 only needs the new tray if you plan to connect the KT74 to your audio panel.  You would connect to the audio panel for altitude deviation alerts or TIS-A traffic alerts.  Those connections are not required for an ADS-B installation.  My avionics shop recommended that if you do the TIS-A traffic alerts to also install a mute switch so that KT74 traffic reports relating to other planes in the pattern do not drown out your communications with the tower while on approach.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that there is no "mandate" for ADS-B "IN", so no real certification. I think the only difference is if you want to have the info displayed on a certified unit such as a 530. The Stratus only feeds something like an IPad (I think).