KT74 integration with GNS530w

I've been talking to a local shop.  he didn't think it would be a big deal since i have the 76A.  btw, what are they quoting you for labor?  Mine is saying around $500.

$500 to do the direct swap? We charge 6 hours ($585) to install a new transponder that isn't plug and play.

My shop is estimating around $400-$600.  The tray has to be replaced since the data cable to the Garmin 530 interferes with KT76C tray.  In addition, the Garmin 530 and 430 need a software update.  I think this is reasonable.  Maybe  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah..I am not surprised it is backordered..mine was part of a shipment of 10 last December to aircraft Spruce.after software upgrades...system is working well...getting full tisb ground station traffic info now on portable gdl 39 to portable Garmin 696 in panel mount.Traffic also bluetoothed to ipad...so if you have an existing 430w530w and king 76a or c...this was cheapest solution

...With 5.1 there is a bug that prevents manually entering fuel remaining, but the JPI interface continues to work just fine. So only an issue for those without any kind of fuel interface.

Just upgraded our 530W to SW 5.10 and yes, it is now impossible to enter the fuel on board quantity.   The fuel flow is still reported correctly in the AUX  /  FUEL PLANNING sub-menu but the totals, quantity on arrival, etc are all useless.    As our only fuel  totalizer display is the 530W, we're out of luck until the next SW release.    Garmin says it will be out "soon" and that's a quote.  

Just upgraded our 530W to SW 5.10 and yes, it is now impossible to enter the fuel on board quantity. The fuel flow is still reported correctly in the AUX / FUEL PLANNING sub-menu but the totals, quantity on arrival, etc are all useless. As our only fuel totalizer display is the 530W, we're out of luck until the next SW release. Garmin says it will be out "soon" and that's a quote.

Confused - what fuel totalizer is interfaced to your Garmin that only includes fuel flow and not fuel remaining like the JPI? At least that's what I assume you are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded our 530W to SW 5.10 and yes, it is now impossible to enter the fuel on board quantity.   The fuel flow is still reported correctly in the AUX  /  FUEL PLANNING sub-menu but the totals, quantity on arrival, etc are all useless.    As our only fuel  totalizer display is the 530W, we're out of luck until the next SW release.    Garmin says it will be out "soon" and that's a quote.  

Yep... that happened to me as well on my 430W.  Just waiting now for 5.11 which they say will come out sometime this year... not holding my breath.  For me that's a critical setting as I run my fuel flow through my 430W but they don't give a $hit.

Well, if you ask you shall receive!  5.20 was released yesterday (11/25). 

http://garmin.blogs.com/aviationalerts/2014/11/service-bulletin-1461-gns-400w500w-series-software-upgrade-to-main-software-version-520.html

And they list the fuel on board issue as being resolved!

• 2 weeks later...

called the avionics shop.  The original backorder was until November.  A new date for February was just given.  Anyway, I called up Sarasota Avionics and am having one sent to my work. They had 3 in stock, but sold one while I was on the phone with them.  Anyway, install date is set for 12/19 at the local shop.

Can you elaborate?

It is a new transponder, but it is still "just a transponder," You would think anyone with Mode S installation experience and knowledge should be able to install it? I was just about ready to go with a KT-74. Your post makes me want to search for a shop with successful KT-74 installations ... and go there ...

There are multiple software upgrades on Garmin side as well as KT74 side.  I think there is not enough money in the upgrade to excite the shops.  In addition, none of the shops that I talked to had done a Garmin 430/530 integration or were familiar with the STC.

I still have some time before I pull the trigger on this. Just going to keep my eyes and ears open until then.

Some shops are suggesting going with a GDL -88 and leaving the current Mode C ... To get traffic etc on the GPS display.

Budget permitting, I really want to do both a 1090ES (to comply with ICAO Standards flying outside the U.S.) and a GDL-88 (to get ASD-B displayed on the GPS). Nothing cheap to buy on this thread! The savings on the KT-74 may just be what enables us to do the GDL-88?

I'm going to have same dilemma, ideally you would have switch to get best of both worlds.

KT74 requires an airspeed switch, don't know if 88 does, and the 88 by my itself can be used in anonymous mode, if worried about user fees in the future

I. need to do some research