Replacement for the "Fred Flintsone" rotating beacon

Sometimes, Robert, it's not the bulb, it's the power supply.

when I took mine off, I saw stickers warning "High Voltage!" I laughed, hooked up the multimeter and turned it on. Read "0" for a long time, over 30 seconds,then the bulb flashed and the meter read over 500 V. Flashing was very irregular, maybe one now, then in 20 seconds, then five seconds, then a minute, then two blinks just 2-3 seconds apart, then one after 30 seconds, etc. the new LED blinks very regularly and frequently, and is exceptionally bright.

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had one in my Beech Sundowner.  I too rebuilt the motor once and got a few more years out of it.. When it died again, I replaced it with the one Maurauder recommended. Then I found a motor and chang

Anit-Collision Systems.pdf

it works...until it doesn't, what me worry?

Posted Images

Replace it with a Whelen LED beacon.  But, remember to drill a small hole in the beacon top (which is actually the bottom when installed on the belly) and seal the space between the adapter and the beacon's base with clear RTV.

John Breda

I'll see what I can find. There's no chance for the old part number, I just wrote it on a scrap of paper and took it to the Whelen booth. Should have the new number in the logbook, I'll look it up in the next few days.

The new one would be all I'd need. I have what is probably the very first strobe system installed in the belly and it has ran its course. Whelen's website isn't exactly helpful in this particular application. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2015 at 7:13 PM, Hank said:

What certified LED strobes are legal to install in my 201-style wingtips? There are some nice marker/strobe combos, but none approved for me.  :(

Hank - did you ever find a definitive answer to this?   I suspect I have the identical wingtips on my C, and one of my strobe power supplies seems to be croaking.  

I'm looking at the Whelen application guide:  https://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Mooney.pdf

But I'm not sure a retrofit into the Lasar aftermarket wingtips is covered here.  

I'm also not sure having the enclosed wingtip would let me remove my belly beacon and gain 20kt.  

Anyone here know?

7 minutes ago, DXB said:

Hank - did you ever find a definitive answer to this?   I suspect I have the identical wingtips on my C, and one of my strobe power supplies seems to be croaking.  

Power supplies can be found a junk yards pretty inexpensive and pretty simple to swap. I have an extra 2 or 3.

-Robert

On 5/15/2014 at 1:33 PM, Hank said:

When my giant Whelen belly blinker became erratic/intermittent, I copied down all the numbers off the side and showed it to the Whelen guy at SNF. He said, "Wow, that's old. Come over here" and put a new LED unit in my hand. The same adapter plate fit it, and it works well in the belly. I can look up the number next time I have the logs out if you need it.

Don't ya' just hate it when they spend your money like that?  :-)

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

Is the hole there? (On the bottom). Every 75 I have seen has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 76 has no rotating beacon either. I use strobes as recognition lights. No plate where a hole used to be.

I upgraded to Whelen on my F model: belly beacon, landing light, and wing tip nav/tail light. I did not have wing tip strobes before, so I added some capability. If I recall installed out the door cost was around 2k. Some of that is labor because of adding wiring/switch for the wing tip strobes.

DO IT!! The look and safety make it worth it!

My 76 has no rotating beacon either. I use strobes as recognition lights. No plate where a hole used to be.

I wonder if this was an option on our planes. I always thought a beacon was a requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I wonder if this was an option on our planes. I always thought a beacon was a requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Only one form of Anti-collision is required, so wingtip strobes can take the place of a belly or roof mounted beacon legally. Maybe it was an option on later model airplanes...

• Like 1

+1 for the Whelen data sheet Lance posted...

So many details related to the age of the plane...  the rules changed a couple of times over the years.

My 65C swapped out the rotating beacon for a strobe.  

• Better visibility
  • less noise in the audio system
  • less maintenance. Grease hardens in the rotating mechanism...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/31/2017 at 4:26 PM, Marauder said:

Is the hole there? (On the bottom). Every 75 I have seen has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is no hole, no switch, and no breaker for a rotating beacon on my 75F. There is no indication that it ever had one installed.

(Free speed mod, no?)

23 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Helpful info for sure.  Interestingly, the previous owner put on the LASAR enclosed wingtips, which per my understanding are purely aesthetic, on my old C.  As a utilitarian minimalist, this violates my sensibilities by both adding weight and precluding me from removing my belly flasher, whose $40 bulb I recently had to replace.  I'm still considering LED wingtip strobes but replacing the belly light doesn't seem worth it.