A few years ago I tracked down the original owner of the plane and I asked him to send me any pictures he had of her from the early days. Here she is in her original colors and after she was painted in 2000.

post-7663-0-67839200-1399513985_thumb.jp

post-7663-0-47258700-1399514000_thumb.jp

• Like 1

You vintage owners can look towards the back your Mooney parts catalog. The designs and paint color names are all in there. Not sure about later years. Although, deciphering the actual shades of the paint by name only may be a bit challenging. Jim's suggestion to look at the old magazine ads on eBay is a good one.

When my airplane's original paint was stripped back in the early '90s, we discovered that one of the original colors was black. The black had been shot over in a deep maroon, probably back in the '60s. If a Mooney can look bad, the original black trim color may have won the prize. It looked a lot better in maroon.

• Like 1

I like this movement as well. I'd love to see the vintage 201 painted on my tail someday.

My love affair with the Mooney started around 1980 when I saw for the first time an ad in Flying magazine of a J model with "201" painted on the tail. I remember vividly a shot of the interior and the tilted right panel and thinking to myself just how cool that was and how I would never have one of my own and how truly lucky a person could be to own one.

Here I am thirty something years later, a great wife, two kids, two college educations and a paid off mortgage. Thinking back to that twenty year old, it was absolutely unthinkable that I would have one of my own decades later.

It just goes to show that you never know where life will take you. 

• Like 5

You vintage owners can look towards the back your Mooney parts catalog. The designs and paint color names are all in there. Not sure about later years. Although, deciphering the actual shades of the paint by name only may be a bit challenging. Jim's suggestion to look at the old magazine ads on eBay is a good one.

When my airplane's original paint was stripped back in the early '90s, we discovered that one of the original colors was black. The black had been shot over in a deep maroon, probably back in the '60s. If a Mooney can look bad, the original black trim color may have won the prize. It looked a lot better in maroon.

The paint colors are listed in the back of the IPC but not the scheme or color layout. At least not in my 1966 IPC. A good contact is Joe Schmerber who worked at Mooney for years and he can research your model, year, and S/N to see if they have it in the record. He can be reached at schmerb at ktc.com.

I'm pretty certain I know what mine looked like and have found a picture of one a few S/N's after mine in the stock colors and scheme. I'm studying it and not completely sold on 100% original, but looking at something nearly original with a custom flair to it.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly what my Mooney looked like when original.  She was the cover-girl for the Jan. 1990 AOPA Magazine.  She was the first Advanced Trainer model that was built in late 1989.  The Advanced Trainer paint design attracted me immediately and I bought that very airplane in 2005.  Recently I had the airplane repainted and eliminated the graphics and changed the off-white color for snow-white to increase the visibility.  The numbers were N900AT but that number was so slow to say that I reserved a number one digit shorter to enhance the stripes, and made sure each number and letter was just one syllable long.  This was the result.post-9171-0-46814300-1401384541_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 year later...