Window inserts

I am preparing to replace the side windows in my 1978 M20J and get new paint in the next few weeks.  Does anyone know of a source for the window inserts needed to change the look of the square windows to the more modern rounded look?

Thanks- Tom

I saw a plane that was reprinted that looked great with the windows painted-No inserts necessary. Check out Peter's plane for the actual look. I did not realize the windows themselves had been painted.

I saw a plane that was reprinted that looked great with the windows painted-No inserts necessary. Check out Peter's plane for the actual look. I did not realize the windows themselves had been painted.

Peter goes by the username "PTK".

I took a ride in a rocket that looked to had been converted to rounded windows.  When sitting inside I could then tell the window had what looked like vinyl stickers to make them look rounded.  Maybe the window were just painted.  It looked good to me.  I wouldn't of known the difference if I didn't sit in the plane.

Welcome aboard Tom.

Reprinted is what happens when an iPad auto corrects the word repainted.

Guess nobody in Silicon Valley repaints anything....

PTK's windows do have the modern look. Somebody with skill/creativity did his paint.

Best regards,

-a-

Well, yes I do have thoughts.  Why give up any little bit of usable window area.  I noticed that some of the later Mooneys have about six inches of un-usable window area at the back of the rear window.  The extra window length appeared to be just for styling. 

With that in mind I have used black lettering-type film to make  radiused extensions to the rear windows of my 65E (see thumbnail photo above).  I experimented with several different lengths by using MS Paint on a photo.  I think several lengths are still in my photo album.  Close inspection will show that mine even overlap the baggage door.

I have had them in place for about five years with no problems.  I tried several colors but just black seems to work best.  Any other color starts reading as part of the paint scheme.  

Personally, I think the rounded look is getting a little dated- cars (BMW, Ferrari) seem to be styling with more "aggressive" lines lately. If you look at the new TBM and brand P Meridian they are both going with more squarish type windows. And not to compare with anything Cessna, but the new Corvallis TT has squarish windows as well. Granted, there is a little curve at the end of the corners of the modern windows (it's not the hard 90 of the Early K's and older), but the almost oval windows of the Ovations has a distinct 90's feel to it. I guess it all comes around full circle...(no pun intended).

I guess it all comes around full circle...(no pun intended).

Seems what goes around, comes around. I like both styles, but don't expect new Mooney's to revert to curve-less window corners.

• Like 2