Introduce Yourself

TurboExec

Hi to all. Great site BTW. I am the owner of a 1965 M20E. I stopped flying over 10 years ago, 3,700 hrs. CFII, had other interests. I got the " bug " a couple of months ago, and decided to get back in the air. I owned an M20F and sold it to buy an Aztec, really missed the Mooney. I took delivery two weeks ago on The M20E, and am enjoying getting current again. Great, great  airplane, with great avionics, which BTW, have come a long way, since my days. Good to see such a great bunch of enthusiasts.

post-12556-0-91294200-1406063147_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Semi, bi, Annual Bump of my favorite thread...

Tell us about yourself, who you are, where you are from and what makes you tick?  

One of our new members reminded me of this thread.  Try to stay positive while describing why you visit and what you get out of being an MS member.  This thread started back in 2009 or so.

if you have been here a while, append an update.  If you haven't been here long see the first few pages.  Many of the names haven't changed...

Best regards,

-a-

Since I last posted in 2012, I've flown the Acclaim on some pretty amazing trips from my home base in Denver, including Northern and Southern CA and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (multiple times). I continue to be astonished by the amazing efficiency and capability of this airplane. Next month my wife and I are spending 2 or 3 weeks at our second home near San Francisco and will be bringing the Acclaim along for some day trips. Can't wait!

In 2013 I added a Vans RV-8 to my hangar. It's a simple day-VFR bird that's a real joy to fly. Efficient and well-engineered like a Mooney, too. I use it for day trips within about 200NM on weekends.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2013 at 6:32 PM, gjkirsch said:

Hi

My name is Gordon Kirsch.  I have been a Mooney pilot on and off for going on 20 years.  I have owned 4 Mooneys, with my current being a 1998 Bravo N32CG, prior to that I owned a 1996 Bravo N755TT, a 1985 231 N5810D, and a 1980 231 N111EW.  All great planes.  I am currently based at KGRR (Grand Rapids, MI).

Gordon, I bought a '78 201 last summer and is now hangared at KGRR. I need a flight instructor for currency training. Any recommendations for someone local?

Hello all.

My name is Brad Bellotte.   I just finished my dual requirement in my new-to-me 2008 Acclaim.  This is the first plane that I have owned.  I've picked up some great tips on these forums and look forward to learning more!

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow! what a interesting group. It is great to have so many guys and gals from diverse backgrounds sharing a common passion.

I'm Steve and a proud new owner of a '76 "F" model. I've been flying since 1998. Most of my time has been in Cessna's (Cardinal and Skylane). My daughter will be attending college in Ohio this fall (650 NM), so I needed to find a fast and efficient machine to get my wife and I there and back. Decided that the "F" fit the bill (and my budget) and found this beauty with many mods a short time later.

Thanks to all those who have shared their knowledge and wisdom here. I look forward to getting to know you.

20160323_143500602.jpg

Congratulations, and welcome aboard, oh mysterious beast!  :D  She looks pretty snazzy!

I lived on the OH/WV border for nine years. Have your daughter buy a winter coat AFTER she moves to Ohio, they don't sell them thick enough down here . . . Seriously, from LA it's about 3 to 3-1/2 hours to there, add another 30 minutes to Dayton or Columbus (or that much more for Cleveland or Toledo), plus however long to make up the distance from Ocala to the Auburn area. Then subtract some time for your extra 10-15 knots over my C.

Your plane should be perfect for making those trips, as well as many others. Keep us updated on your travels!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Wow! what a interesting group. It is great to have so many guys and gals from diverse backgrounds sharing a common passion.

I'm Steve and a proud new owner of a '76 "F" model. I've been flying since 1998. Most of my time has been in Cessna's (Cardinal and Skylane). My daughter will be attending college in Ohio this fall (650 NM), so I needed to find a fast and efficient machine to get my wife and I there and back. Decided that the "F" fit the bill (and my budget) and found this beauty with many mods a short time later.

Thanks to all those who have shared their knowledge and wisdom here. I look forward to getting to know you.

20160323_143500602.jpg

Welcome to the F Club! I've owned by 75 for 25 years. Great platform. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

I got involved with Mooney aircraft when I purchased my 1968 F as a project airplane.  It had 1900 hours and sat for many years in a Dallas hangar.  I stripped everything out of the airplane and proceeded with the rebuild starting with an empty airframe.  For those of you that know it today, it is a modern looking Mooney with a Johnson bar and hydraulic flaps.  I have been a pilot since 1985 and learned to fly when I lived in Portland, Oregon (which I might add was a great place to get my IFR ticket since all my time, from the 50 -125 hours then required then for the IFR checkride, were in actual conditions).  I was a symphonic clarinetist back then and then went to medical school at age 37.  Now I am back in the Boston area where I grew up.  I remain a frustrated engineer (which is probably why I took on the rebuild project).  I would love to meet other Mooney owners in New England and elsewhere.

John Breda

• Like 2

Hi John,

I will be coming to Boston frequently from KERI (Erie, PA).   I have been using KBED, near my daughter's home.  Where are you based in Boston? Which hospital are you working in?

brad. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. So glad I found this site for the informative forums. About 3 years ago i began chasing my childhood dream of flying. It took me 36 years for that dream to become reality and it got even better last fall when I purchased my first plane. I will be honest as I tell you I never pictured myself in a Mooney.  I did my training in a high wing Cessna and kind of figured I would probably go that route. But once I started researching them my love for them quickly grew. I am now the proud owner of a 61 M20B, and am really enjoying mooney(ing) around the skies. Looking forward to reading and learning from others experiences,and hopefully meeting some cool new people. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nobowhuntin said:

Hi all. So glad I found this site for the informative forums. About 3 years ago i began chasing my childhood dream of flying. It took me 36 years for that dream to become reality and it got even better last fall when I purchased my first plane. I will be honest as I tell you I never pictured myself in a Mooney.  I did my training in a high wing Cessna and kind of figured I would probably go that route. But once I started researching them my love for them quickly grew. I am now the proud owner of a 61 M20B, and am really enjoying mooney(ing) around the skies. Looking forward to reading and learning from others experiences,and hopefully meeting some cool new people. 

image.jpeg

Welcome Aboard!

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2008 at 6:11 PM, mooniac58 said:

I am the proud owner of a 1987 M20J 201 based on the Big Island of Hawaii (Kona Intl Airport - PHKO).  I am a 33 year old business owner and operate some pretty large video game related websites.  I have been married to my wonderful wife for just over 8 years, and if all goes well we might have some little Mooniacs running around here soon Cool

As most of you know, MooneySpace is my pet project, but more than anything my gift to the Mooney loving world!  I hope you enjoy the site!

Hey - thanks for starting this site.  Personally I've learned a bunch and I'm sure that was your intent.  Must have been fun in Kona - hope Santa Fe is just as fun.  

• 1 month later...

New partner in a '65 M20E Super21 based in Massachusetts.   I'm working towards complex sign-off while transitioning from  C172s.   The wealth of knowledge, active participation, varied opinions and factual references make this site a treasure trove for someone ramping on their aircraft knowledge and flying skills.  

Thank You!

Dave

Edited by Seymour
Corrected details on my aircraft. Who knew? (everyone but me)
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm Marcus, reside at C29 in WI, since I became interested in flying 4 years ago I've always wanted a Mooney, attracted by the speed and efficiency.  I started with an Archer 2 years ago partly due to cost but also thought it would be good to get some more time in before getting into a faster complex airplane.  I got my IFR ticket at the same time so it seemed to make sense to do one thing at a time.  This last December the opportunity of a 205 came my way and decided I simply could not resist.  It's an 87' J 205--N205KD, I believe familiar to some.  I've put on about 60 hours so far and really enjoying the airplane!  I feel comfortable in it for the most part though I must say my landings still don't always deserve 5 stars.

• Like 4

I expect to take delivery of a 1965 M20E Super 21 in about 3 weeks. This site has been a tremendous resource as I narrowed down the search for my first plane to return to aviation after an excessively long absence. Thank you @mooniac58 and to all those who contribute every day. It would have been a much tougher decision to buy a 50-year-old plane without the knowledge available here. In addition to facts, opinions, and documentation I found great resources like Phil Jiminez  @pmj341 for the pre-purchase, and @mike_elliott for transition training.

I will share more about me and the M20E once it's official, but here's a teaser photo...

M20E front view.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I have been reading the site for a few months but finally decided to join it myself. I am a new pilot (been flying for just over a year, 105hrs) but would like get a plane to both get my instrument rating in and take on trips around the east coast. I have always been interesting in efficiency so of course I was drawn to Mooneys (and Long Ezs, but they wouldn't for instrument training...), in particular the earlier more affordable models (C,E,F,G). Sadly I have never gotten to actually see any in person besides a C in person and would love to meet up for a flight if there is anyone in the Boston area who would be willing to show me theirs.

Thanks for everything I have already learned from this site and I can't wait to hear more wisdom!

-Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobotsBoston said:

Sadly I have never gotten to actually see any in person besides a C in person and would love to meet up for a flight if there is anyone in the Boston area who would be willing to show me theirs.

PM sent.    Hopefully, we can fly before it goes in for  the Annual...