Foggy Altimeter

Piloto

If the hanger fairies take the instruments apart and clean the glass and put it back together it will look great! If you do this with your altimeter just before your IFR cert, the cert will make it all legal again...

Just saying...

I have found that most instrument shops will clean the glass for about $60.

• Like 1

If the hanger fairies take the instruments apart and clean the glass and put it back together it will look great! If you do this with your altimeter just before your IFR cert, the cert will make it all legal again...

My hangar elf has been reluctant to attack an ASI. Is this doable for a reasonably talented elf.

I had a foggy VSI in my J model before I redid the panel. A hangar elf did remove the 8 small screws and while doing this, one of the screws had a small piece of whatever the manufacturer puts on to see if the instrument has been tampered with. The hangar elf removed the glass and cleaned it, put it all back together and the VSI looks same as original except for the small white piece of goop on one of the screws.

This particular VSI has not been returned back to service as I did not need it as a back up to the G500. From all indications this VSI would still work as intended. If nobody needs a used VSI it will just sit on a shelf as a momento .

My hangar elf has been reluctant to attack an ASI. Is this doable for a reasonably talented elf.

Yes.

I had a foggy VSI in my J model before I redid the panel. A hangar elf did remove the 8 small screws and while doing this, one of the screws had a small piece of whatever the manufacturer puts on to see if the instrument has been tampered with. The hangar elf removed the glass and cleaned it, put it all back together and the VSI looks same as original except for the small white piece of goop on one of the screws.

This particular VSI has not been returned back to service as I did not need it as a back up to the G500. From all indications this VSI would still work as intended. If nobody needs a used VSI it will just sit on a shelf as a momento .

Some super technical elves would call the goop torque stripe, but most elves know it by its common name "bird,s...t" This stuff can be acquired by strategic elves. Elves have been thought to adjust a VSI to read 0 on the ground with the adjustment screw, but there is little proof that this actually happened.

The glass on my altimeter and airspeed indicator looks foggy even after been in the hangar for two weeks. The VSI however is clean. Does anyone knows of a trick to get rid of the fog? I would hate to take them to the shop just to clean the glass.

José

What is causing the fog? I assume it's not moisture.