Custome & Border Patrol Finally stopped me--with armed police

rockydoc

Yes, and this is a great! You want to be afforded all the protections the US government offers to it's citizens.

To hold a US Passport is a privilege and an honor.

The purpose of the document is to show countries you're visiting that you are a legal citizen of the USA. As such and only as such you, and through the US government, are asking permission of other nations to cross their borders.

I don't see why someone would want to or, frankly, should be allowed to leave the US without a passport.

Isn't this what the East Germans used to say?  They even built a wall to protect their citizens.

And for most near by countries a birth certificate is good enough.  They really don't seem to care that you went through the hoops and costs to get a passport.  It's the US government that cares.

In the good old days, not so long ago, when we trusted each other more we could cross the Canada/USA border with a drivers licence or a birth certificate. Oh the times have changed!

Clarence

David, I generally agree with your point.

However, my response was to Rockydoc who is saying that since we need a passport to leave the US that's our gov't making us ask for permission. I think that's a gross extrapolation!

My point was not about our gov't allowing us to travel but others. The passport is an instrument by which a gov't, on one of its citizen's behalf, asks permission of a sovereign country to allow this individual to cross their border. In our case our gov't is essentially certifying to them that the passport holder is a legal citizen of the USA.

How else can we travel and be allowed to cross another border?

Yes, and this is a great! You want to be afforded all the protections the US government offers to it's citizens.

To hold a US Passport is a privilege and an honor.

The purpose of the document is to show countries you're visiting that you are a legal citizen of the USA. As such and only as such you, and through the US government, are asking permission of other nations to cross their borders.

I don't see why someone would want to or, frankly, should be allowed to leave the US without a passport.

Oddly prior to 911 Americans could travel to Canada without a passport and Canadians could travel to the US without one....

Seems like many from the country to the South of you enter the US without a passport routinely...

Sleep well. Eat breakfast. Make the call!

You'll be a great American if you just be yourself and stay with the facts the best you know them.

How does that sound?

Advice from a non expert, non-lawyer. My passport has extra pages and they are full up too.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I called today and expressed that they could check with AOPA because a bunch of guys on the internet are just that. I believe the Honorable Senator Shelby's office will follow up with AOPA for researched facts concerning this case as well as others. So far pretty painless. Of course if I find a ramp check  done on my Mooney in the next 6 months I'll blame it on sticking my head above the edge of the foxhole.

I called today and expressed that they could check with AOPA because a bunch of guys on the internet are just that. I believe the Honorable Senator Shelby's office will follow up with AOPA for researched facts concerning this case as well as others. So far pretty painless. Of course if I find a ramp check  done on my Mooney in the next 6 months I'll blame it on sticking my head above the edge of the foxhole.

Yes.  Exactly what I'm waiting to happen to me--or maybe even worse!  Quien sabes!

I just saw an old time tv show which is interesting to this discussion on netflix.

My son named Adam who just turned 13 - likes the old cop-show called "Adam 12" (which he took to watching when he was 12...get it?)

This eve we watched an episode

105 3 "Airdrop" Dennis Donnelly Leo V. Gordon September 27, 1972

It is about them staking out and eventually stopping, searching and so forth a Cessna 182 which turns out to be involved in a smuggling operation.  Some interesting things to this discussion.  They actually pull over the airplane while it is on take-off roll.  Then they search the plane - with owners consent.  They ask if a flight plan was filed with the FAA when they crossed the border.  Later they go to the airport which has a shiny new and busy airport diner.  They are working with some detectives and they eventually catch the airplane making a transfer to a jeep of a bag full of the goods and they arrest the bad guys.

I just saw an old time tv show which is interesting to this discussion on netflix.

My son named Adam who just turned 13 - likes the old cop-show called "Adam 12" (which he took to watching when he was 12...get it?)

This eve we watched an episode

105 3 "Airdrop" Dennis Donnelly Leo V. Gordon September 27, 1972

It is about them staking out and eventually stopping, searching and so forth a Cessna 182 which turns out to be involved in a smuggling operation.  Some interesting things to this discussion.  They actually pull over the airplane while it is on take-off roll.  Then they search the plane - with owners consent.  They ask if a flight plan was filed with the FAA when they crossed the border.  Later they go to the airport which has a shiny new and busy airport diner.  They are working with some detectives and they eventually catch the airplane making a transfer to a jeep of a bag full of the goods and they arrest the bad guys.

One Adam Twelve - one Adam Twelve, four eleven in progress. One Adam Twelve, handle code four.

• Like 2

One Adam Twelve - one Adam Twelve, four eleven in progress. One Adam Twelve, handle code four.

Ok -in tonights episode of one Adam Twelve, a Cessna 172 is going to crash land with a sputtering engine - and it makes a crash landing.  Leaking fuel.  Pete and Malloy pull out a drunk pilot.  Then they see an injured unconscious kid and they pull him out.  Now the cops demand from the pilot, "Let me see your pilot's license and flight log!"

(I'm not meaning to trivialize this important thread - I do believe this popular culture is a bit of background to this whole thing.)