Mooney 2014 Homecoming Did you attend, what did you think of it!

RocketAviator

How many had their airplane make it to homecoming without them?

Due to work I was unable to attend this year but let a "F" owner and a "J" owner, that both had props off their planes, take my real pilot "C" model (no autopilot) as their chariot to homecoming. I heard some didn't recognize Ed Morris without his triple nickel ED.

The winner of the beauty contest can pm me for the name of the prop shop to send a donation for keeping N555ED from winning again this year!

I went and really enjoyed the experience. Some really good presentations, the movie, the tour, Dr Chen, and I got to meet Lacee and see that cool Rocket and "mini Rocket". All the well cared for Mooneys on the line inspired me to keep working on mine. Teresa from Art Craft even gave me an estimate on paint. I did put my Mooneyspace name on my name tag so folks could blame me for prior errant posts. Ray

Next year it would be nice if MAPA would allow vendors to set up booths. I talked to Hector from Aero Comfort to see if he was going to be there and he said probably not since he couldn't set up a display.

I think MAPA is missing out on a real opportunity to sale booth spots to vendors during this conference. I bet most of the regular advertisers in MAPA Log would love an opportunity to display at the conference.

• Like 1

Next year it would be nice if MAPA would allow vendors to set up booths. I talked to Hector from Aero Comfort to see if he was going to be there and he said probably not since he couldn't set up a display.

I think MAPA is missing out on a real opportunity to sale booth spots to vendors during this conference. I bet most of the regular advertisers in MAPA Log would love an opportunity to display at the conference.

I personally think that is a great idea as long as it's Mooney related.

I have the greatest respect for Trey and Lela and all the work they must have put in to put on the event.  Having said that, for me at least, while I love to go to Kerrville, the Hangar venue was less than desirable.  It may have been me, but I met far less new friends than in the past where the event was held at a hotel where most people stayed and where it was much easier to meet and talk to individuals.  The Hangar was either too cold or too hot, the sound system made it difficult to clearly hear the speakers, there was no mic for questioners from the floor, so when a question was asked it couldn't be heard or understood.  The woman's lunch was held far from the venue and since there was no transportation, there was endless travel back and forth between the airport and the luncheon location.  In fact there was endless back and forth between the airport and the hotel for everything.  It was a great weekend for the rental car companies, but not for us.

While the Saturday lunch on the field was excellent, everyone was having trouble finding a place to eat it.  The dinner for me was the worst of any of the conventions I have ever attended.  I apologize for not staying for the speaker, but we had heard the talk in Oshkosh last summer.

The factory tour and "Boots on the Ground" were the highlights of the event for me.  It showed that Mooney is coming back STRONG!  Mitch and Jolie did an amazing job of getting the flavor of the Mooney Company of the past with their movie, which had a huge attendance.

I hope in the future that they go back to a hotel venue, extend the Convention an extra day like in the past, have more Mooney specific presentations, have round tables on various Mooney models as in the past, and have vendor presentations such as Garmin, Aspen, and others as in past years when we have several hundred Mooneys attend.

For the adventure I'm glad I attended.  The lengthy round trip enabled me to really learn my new panel well.  I now feel totally comfortable and excited about teaching every aspect of our new technology to those who either have it or are thinking about getting it.

In spite of all the above comments, would I attend in the future?  Yes, I'm a Mooniac.

• Like 4

I'd like to mention the excellent points made by Dr Achtel on his presentation on hypoxia and carbon monoxide toxicity. Very important info we should all already know, but which seems to get ignored. As a result, I know of at least a couple of guys who purchased pulse oximeters and CO monitors. Perhaps future disaster averted?

I thoroughly enjoyed the event. This was my first, as well as longest flight away from home base and allowed me to let my  Mooney stretch its wings. Really enjoyed meeting new friends and fellow Mooniacs. My highlights were for me:

• Meeting so many great Mooniacs
  • Meeting and hearing from the CEO Jerry Chen
  • Seeing so many Mooneys on our own runway (would have made a great aerial shot)
  • Factory Tour
  • Educational seminars (see below)

What I thought would have been great to have more of would be

• Aviation specific vendor booths! (I was actually looking for Aero Comfort and a few others) This would actually pay for more things we could do at the event, like more food events to mingle at.At least lunches daily would be helpful to keep us in one place. These would be a great to have something to do during down times like during the groups of factory tours. New tech is always nice, even if it can be used on other airplanes.
  • More aviation specific educational seminars, perhaps a few that could qualify for Wings credit?
  • More contests? The beauty contest was great fun, more would be good. Best aviation photo from your Mooney contest?

Anyway, great fun and camaraderie all around.

We thought it was great.

We enjoyed seeing all the Mooneys and meeting the folks we have heard from on MAPA and Mooney Space.

The factory tour was very enlightening.

Carmelina Loved the pitch hitters talk.

We would definitely do it again as long as we can fit it into the schedule.

Proceed with caution???

1) Gain ideas from the ladies who are both Mooney pilots and have been to the MAPA ladies event (social?)

2) act locally. NJ Mooney fly-in bring your family day?

3) fun to fly, places to go, what to do with the iPad while flying type conversations...

4) avoid conversations that include FAA, CBP, or other three letter organizations and fire extinguishers.

Best regards,

-a-