Wingtip strobes

I've got the Hoskins strobes. I already had a power supply toast during my restoration and last night noticed no flashy on my port wing. I haven't started troubleshooting yet. But am getting an annoying capacitor charge sound through the headsets since I bought the plane. The ground wires seem fine. So.....I'm toying with the idea of just switching to LEDs. If it's the power supply again I won't have much choice since parts aren't available.

The whelen power supply will work as a drop-in equivalent part for the Hoskins strobe pack. You switch two wires in the connector to make it go. I recommend the TCF power supply.

I replaced the power supply on my J a few years ago with a whelen and it worked fine. The only issue was the strobe pattern (frequency/duration) was different than the original Hoskins. No big deal but one side flashed differently than the other. Just something to check.

Just curious guys as to how the log book was signed off for the change from one side being Hoskins and the other being Whelen. ?

If I remember correctly one is original and the other is an STC install. How can the two be mixed legally? 

I think Aveo makes some good looking LED position lights that are STC'd. 

I have these on my Husky, excellent quality throughout. Back of unit is milled to slide onto sub mount and then lock on with one set screw - - even the machining is fist rate. 

http://www.aeroleds.com/shop/category/faa-certified/

Almost $1200 the pair seems pricey . . . until you check Whelen's offering.

bumper

Just curious guys as to how the log book was signed off for the change from one side being Hoskins and the other being Whelen. ?

If I remember correctly one is original and the other is an STC install. How can the two be mixed legally? 

I think Aveo makes some good looking LED position lights that are STC'd.

Clffy it was done before we bought the plane. But I suspect it is a like for like install since the whelen power supply is similar in size and function.

Clffy it was done before we bought the plane. But I suspect it is a like for like install since the whelen power supply is similar in size and function.

the power supply is PMA'ed.

The STC has more to do with the flashing assembly

Like I said I'm just curious at this time as I've never seen this issue before.

Normally an STC covers and entire "system"  All parts in the "system" have to be made under a PMA process. 

The general process is to get an "STC" for the "system" then you get a "PMA" to be able to manufacture the parts of the STC approved system. So just because something is "PMA'd" doesn't mean that it can be used in a particular or different STC'd system. I would think it would be akin to doing a 201 STC cowl install but using a 252 cowl because it was a PMA'd part. 

I think the Whelen strobe light system STC calls for specific parts to be installed and no allowance is given to use say Hoskins parts on the installation. 

I've never heard of "like for like" in STC'd systems.  

Is there anything with the Whelan part that says it's a direct replacement for a Hoskins part? 

Like I said, I'm just thinking at this point.

FAA AC 23-27 covers parts and material substitutions for vintage aircraft, basically it says that due to the age of some of the aircraft and the lack of parts being manufactured for them that owners can manufacture or have manufactured replacement parts that meet the specifications of the part they are trying to replace. it also covers the documentation required when using these parts.

Brian

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_23-27.pdf

AC 23 27 only covers certian parts substitutions and not "owner produced parts" Another AC covers that. Both have very strict requirements on how the parts are to be documented and approved for installation.

Unfortunately the AC 23 27 is very specific on how a substitution can be done and in most instances it requires a Field Approval by the FAA.

As far as TSO parts go the AC specifically says-

"A TSOA does not authorize the installation of a TSO part in a certificated aircraft. The standard procedures for the installation or modification of an aircraft must be followed (i.e., STC, field approval, etc.)."

Doing substitutions is no different than the minutia that the FAA went through on the current thread here on the "Junk C Model" and all the picky crap they filed on. If they ever get involved in your airplane EVERYTHING down to the last placard gets looked at for LEGALITY. It doesn't make any difference if it it a small or large issue, it will be noted and filed on. The guy hung on the line is the A&P that signed off on the installation of the strobe power unit. If no A&P signed it off then the owner is the one who the Feds come after as he is directly responsible for full compliance with the FARS and the airworthiness of his airplane (FAR 91.403). I can be said also that even if the Feds go after the A&P the owner can be held responsible due to 91.403

AOPA has a very good article on ownership responsibilities  

https://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Aircraft-Ownership/Guide-to-Aircraft-Airworthiness.aspx#1

We just had the Feds here at one of our small operators doing a white glove inspection and they spent one entire week going through every piece of paper, every cabinet, every airplane, every log book compared to what the airplane showed, even looked at the certification dates on the tools inside the mechanic's tool boxes and on and on. 

I've said it before, you don't want to be "on the fringe of being legal" if they ever investigate you. 

Yes the new Pt 23 may be a big help if it ever gets done.

Whelen publishes a cross-reference to the Hoskins strobe power supplies here. So, equivalent parts for equivalent function. It's a PMA power supply with cross-reference to the original, no longer available, Hoskins power supply.

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System%20Requirements/Cross%20Reference%20Chart.pdf

Also they detail how to intermix the Hoskins strobe tube to the Whelen power supply here. http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog%20Price%20Lists%20and%20Manuals/Anti-Collision_Light_Systems_Installation_and_Service_Manual.pdf

Good enough for me. The previous owners didn't change the strobe system. They replaced a strobe power supply with an equivalent or better part.

• Like 1

Whelen publishes a cross-reference to the Hoskins strobe power supplies here. So, equivalent parts for equivalent function. It's a PMA power supply with cross-reference to the original, no longer available, Hoskins power supply. http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System%20Requirements/Cross%20Reference%20Chart.pdf

Also they detail how to intermix the Hoskins strobe tube to the Whelen power supply here. http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Catalog%20Price%20Lists%20and%20Manuals/Anti-Collision_Light_Systems_Installation_and_Service_Manual.pdf

Good enough for me. The previous owners didn't change the strobe system. They replaced a strobe power supply with an equivalent or better part.

the A490TCF is a new technology , available power supply and in that sense in a good thing.

I wish wheelen had a simple power supply that could be synced.

The Hoskins power supply can be synchronized ( yellow wire) . It is most of the time repairable.

• 1 month later...

My tail strobe light stopped working yesterday. Is there an easy way to tell if it's the tube or the power supply?

I have Whelen strobes and power supplies in the wings but am not sure what's in the tail yet.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

My tail strobe light stopped working yesterday. Is there an easy way to tell if it's the tube or the power supply?

I have Whelen strobes and power supplies in the wings but am not sure what's in the tail yet.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Just remove the tube from the tail and plug it into one of the wing units and see if it flashes. If it does then it is the power supply if it doesn't then it is the tube.

Thanks MK. I was hoping the flash tube turned black, but that would be too easy. LOL.

Bill

P.S. Turns out there's an SDI strobe light in the tail. I'll open the access panel tomorrow and see what brand the power supply is.