Emergency Gear Extension Procedures M20R

Can you please explain the procedure for emergency gear extension on a later model Ovation?  I have been looking at Mooneys since November and have not heard or thought to ask what is involved.  Is it a strength or weakness of the system?  Has anyone ever had to use the emergency extension in a real situation? 

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott.

Very similar to other Mooney emergency gear extension procedures.  Pull circuit breaker, put the gear switch in the down position and lower the gear by hand until the panel/visual indications are in the gear down/locked position.   The lowering handle is located on the floor between the pilot/co-pilot seats.  It requires 12-20 pumps to lower the gear.   To my knowledge there are no issues with this system or having to use it.   I hope this helps you.   

How about considering a manual gear Mooney?  That way, the emergency procedure is an exact duplicate of the normal operating procedure.  No special training required........

This helpful??Wink

Sorry.  Couldn't help myself...

No major problem with gear system to date.  Only problems is that gear would not retract due to the fact the rear passanger had kicked the emg gear handle up.  Checked handle once before departure, did not figure problem out until landing at my destination one hour later.  Long hour with gear down and to make it worse, I was passed by a 182, ugh.

In the J and K the gear actuator has to be overhauled every 1000hrs. IMHO the Ovation has the same system. There is a very small spring inside, the "no back spring" which has to be changed. This spring is only for the emergency gear extension mechanism. If it fails you won't be able to manually extend the gear.

The system works like the manual starter of a garden mower. You pull on a rope, and with every pull the gear extends a bit. The rope has a handle attached, which is fixed with a very small screw. If the handle disconnects, the rope will disappear in the floor, no way to extend the gear manually anymore.

So treat your mechanism well, especially be careful when you train the manual extension, don't pull too much (only until the gear down light goes on, no further). Otherwise it won't work when you need it most.

Paul,

"Check emergency gear handle" shows up in the before take-off and is often added to the before landing checklist.  I think the major reason that it is on the list, is that rear seaters have been known to bump it out of position.

Best regards,

-a-

When I bought my Rocket I really wanted to know the ins and outs of the emergency system of deployment. So when I was at Maxwell I had them jack it up and we went through the drill a few times until they were happy with the condition of the spring etc. and I understood the principle of operation and the limits. The M20K controls have a guard around the lever and the pull handle, so I have not had an errant passenger foot fowl it up yet.

I think it is a simple well thought out design that is a little different but it makes sense after you go through the drill, I don't think we spent more than an hour shop labor time and I can operate it with confidence, in fact I have done in flight deployments with a Mooney instructor on board on a BFR recently.

Regards: Don

Thanks.  This exactly what I was looking for.  All my time is in fixed gear, and I am interested in learning all possible regarding the landing gear.  I will probably check the indicators multiple times on approach.  Of course, the plane is so fast with the gear up, it baffles me how someone could land with the gear up (please airplane Gods, don't let the last statement tempt you into teaching me a lesson).  I know it happens.

The really good thing about the Ovation gear is the indicator in the floor. If it is green you are good to go. Lights may burn out switches may fail but this is all mechanical, you are 100% safe to land. The only problem i have heard of is the previously mentioned knocking the latch loose and the gear not retracting. I am on my second Ovation, I sold the first due to finiances and tried a Dakota, Arrow, and a Columbia 400 while working out money to get back in an Ovation. They are Great Planes.

Be sure to practice your manual extension, and reread that section of the POH from time to time. I had an electrical failure and had to do a manual extension while training with my CFII. Having just re-read this a few days prior, it was fresh in my mind, and I handed over the book AFTER completing lowering the gear so the II could make sure it was correct. Your procedures are a little different from mine, but know your plane and its systems.

The gear in an Ovation is subject to SB M20-282 which requires replacement of the no-back clutch spring every 1000hrs. If the spring breaks you will be unable to lower the gear either electrically OR manually. You can review this service bulletin on the Mooney web site.

Quote: N513ZM

The gear in an Ovation is subject to SB M20-282 which requires replacement of the no-back clutch spring every 1000hrs. If the spring breaks you will be unable to lower the gear either electrically OR manually. You can review this service bulletin on the Mooney web site.

• 7 years later...

Done during annual inspection makes a good opportunity to see how it works inside and out...

If the brass gear has been damaged by having the emergency latch unhooked while using the electric gear... this could become an inflight problem.

Best to have all the unknowns, known while on the ground.  If the emergency gear is proven to be in good condition it should work as expected...

Best regards,

-a-