Is a hangar worth the cost?

Chris I bought mine then for $11k. Sold id 5 yrs later for 32k. Really. Bought one of the new ones for 35k ..now they have dropped in price ...the older ones go for about 15 and a new one was just sold for about 30... All supply and demand..so mine I have 14000 invested plus a heater system, elec door etc. timing is everything. I bought mine from an estate the guy bought the farm going into Williamsburg...so far the or his bad luck has not rubbed off..still worth the price since I've had 2 new Mooneys it be a shame to leave them outside...

Having had the experience of hail totaling a Newly painted and be won't and panel 205 I'm a little biased - painful to watch you baby totaled from a thunderstorm on the ground - but large Hail is bad.

I vote strongly for hangered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I kept my second plane that I flew for fifteen years nearly every day and I kept it outside.  Because it spent so much time outside anyway where I worked during the day I thought I was saving money, then I suffered quite a lot of corrosion that cost me over $17,000.  Maybe I saved some money, but now I have my J in a hangar and I promise you that if you rent a nice hangar for just one year you will never go back.

• Like 3

I have hangars for all of my planes. It's a necessity cost for mooney ownership

Not just Mooneys IMO. All airplanes given the fact that almost no one can afford brand new ones. Without new planes flowing down the pipeline, we need to make these old ones last!

• Like 3

If your situation is economically tight you can do like an AI I know did. He canceled his rent on an apartment and decided to live in the hangar. Even though this prohibited he managed to do it by parking his RV inside the hangar together with his A36.

Here are the advantages

No apartment to rent ($900)

No utilities to pay. (Included in his hangar rent) 

Gated security

Runway View

Quick access to his plane and customers

His girl friend love it and nobody cares when she sun tans in front of the hangar.

The bathroom with shower is next to the hangar, and the landlord provides the toilet paper for free.

How can it be any better

José 

• Like 1

If your situation is economically tight you can do like an AI I know did. He canceled his rent on an apartment and decided to live in the hangar. Even though this prohibited he managed to do it by parking his RV inside the hangar together with his A36.

For married guys who want to keep themselves, their wives and their airplane as one, big happy family, I suggest you NOT try Jose's suggestion!  :o

When times are tough and hangar rent is only $390/month (utilities included) what are your options? Take a look at refugee tent camps where families with children live for years with no water or electricity on a dirt floor. For them and homeless in the US a hangar is a palace. In Latin America is not rare to see mechanics and airplane guards living in a corner of the hangar as compensation for their services. 

José 

For married guys who want to keep themselves, their wives and their airplane as one, big happy family, I suggest you NOT try Jose's suggestion! :o

But if you do please use a GoPro camera, then post the video, I'm sure the rest of us will find it entertaining

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when that happened. It was at IAD or DCA? Crazy.

In any event I am also in the camp that thinks the hangar is totally worth it. I for one spend more time with the airplane because it's in the hangar. It has become the "club house" or the proverbial "man cave". I know I take better care of my airplane because it's under cover and rub her down often. Not to mention all of the other benefits already mentioned as well.

Get the hangar if you can manage it.

IAD - the guy that owned the citation now is in a net jets like program or share (maybe it is net jets).

I think four aircraft were written off that day in the collapsed hanger at IAD during snowmageddon in 2010.

-Seth

According to sources, among the write-offs were three Global Expresses, both Falcons, the Beechjet, one of the Hawkers and the Caravan. The three Gulfstreams that suffered significant empennage damage in the collapse were eventually repaired on site by the manufacturer and flown to Savannah for inspection.

Many years ago my 172 was sitting tied down at GSO when hurricane Hugo came through. I happened to be at the field. Most every plane on the flight line had loose ropes and was bouncing around pretty good when the eye finally arrived. I went out and tightened as many ropes as I could during the eye. There were several airplanes that I did not get to tighten the ropes before the back side of the storm hit. Two or three broke loose causing severe damage. My bird did not have a scratch on it because I took care of the planes nearby. Mind you there was not a line boy is sight.

I can't imagine airplane owners based in Kansas where hail and tornados are common can be without a hangar. Even if your plane is chained to the ground flying debris can damage it.

I was working in Olathe KS and had a chance to look at new housing. What surprised most if that most houses are just frame houses made of plywood. No wonder a small tornado can destroy neighborhoods. I grew up in Puerto Rico and the overwhelming majority of houses in PR are made of concrete, including a concrete slab for the roof. When a hurricane passes by you don't see blown roofs but fallen trees. In PR is not that much the hurricane threat but termites, they eat wood all year around.

A lot of this housing damage in Tornado alley could be significantly reduced by making concrete houses instead of plywood. It puzzle me that the construction code allows frame houses in an area that is more prone to hurricane strength winds than in PR. BTW in PR you cannot get a mortgage for a frame house but for a concrete one. History has shown that concrete or stone construction will outlast wood by milenias.

And concrete does not burn like wood. Like it happens to frame houses in dry forest fire prone areas. A concrete slab roof just does not get on fire because a burning tree branch fell on it. Where is the common sense of all these home builders. 

José  

• Like 1

Where is the common sense of all these home builders. 

José  

New home sales were way down last week when they reported, much lower than what was anticipated. I heard it was because new home builders were building homes that were beyond the affordability of most of the prospective buyers. Now make an all concrete home, or better yet, an all concrete, earth home to LEED specs. Now we are talking energy efficiency, safety, durability and proven ROI., but getting it so a Mortgage could be afforded by the average home buyer might be a bit of a challenge.

Mike Elliott

LEED AP

Not to stray too far from this thread but I'd love to move out to this airport condo but having "issues" convincing the wife this will save us money in hangar rental.

http://www.aerocountryeast.com/townhomes.php

Anyone move to something like this that could offer up ideas on how to sell this to the boss?

• Like 1

Not to stray too far from this thread but I'd love to move out to this airport condo but having "issues" convincing the wife this will save us money in hangar rental.

http://www.aerocountryeast.com/townhomes.php

Anyone move to something like this that could offer up ideas on how to sell this to the boss?

Tell her if she says yes then she can have an airplane too, maybe something with floats.

We just moved our sled into a hangar from a covered tie down. The plane is protected from sunlight but in the mornings I have noticed condensation on the plane, I wonder if the engine internals are also getting this as well.