Mid atlantic Picnic at KUKT

orionflt

Thanks Brian. My Mooney won't be done by the weekend. Looks like I need a new fuel transducer and a couple of other items that need to be ordered.

I haven't gotten an update from Alan yet on his availability. I will send him a PM and see if he is still coming and can picke me up.

Sent using Tapatalk

Brian, what do you still need to bring. Assuming wx cooperates!

I doubt it will be VFR. The best I'm hoping for is it stays above approach minima.

We'll see as we get closer.

Brian, what do you still need to bring. Assuming wx cooperates!

I doubt it will be VFR. The best I'm hoping for is it stays above approach minima.

We'll see as we get closer.

I'm hoping that the Wx will be VFR, but if it is not I still intend to hang out and cook some food, as for what we need.... Snacks or side will do nicely.  

Brian

Hi Brian -- I will keep monitoring the weather. The approach into N57 is pretty straightforward but a bit tricky if it is windy or you need to do the circle to land. So, if the weather is IFR tomorrow, I will pass on the ride and catch the next event. Wish you were a little closer, I would drive up.

Sent using Tapatalk

Just so everyone knows, we are going to be at the airport tomorrow rain or shine so if you can't fly in you can still drive over if you are close enough.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Brian

Any one hear how Seth made out? He had a plan to come in on the back side of the weather, but I haven't seen anything on how he made out. The weather in Quakertown stayed nice until just after 4pm, as we were finishing the clean up some dark low clouds rolled in, we could see the churning. After about a half hour of hard rain it lightened up and rained for a few more hours, no major wind except with the cell that dropped the heavy rain.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any one hear how Seth made out? He had a plan to come in on the back side of the weather, but I haven't seen anything on how he made out. The weather in Quakertown stayed nice until just after 4pm, as we were finishing the clean up some dark low clouds rolled in, we could see the churning. After about a half hour of hard rain it lightened up and rained for a few more hours, no major wind except with the cell that dropped the heavy rain.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He hasn't responded to the email thread either. When Alan & I left, I was watching the whole weather picture change quickly both behind and in front of us. There were a number of pop up storms that formed pretty quickly.

The area he was headed towards was receiving some heavy weather. He would have needed to fly south of DC quite a bit to get behind it. And even then it wasn't cleared out until late afternoon.

Hopefully he decided to land short of his destination and wait it out.

Hey Brian. Ever figure out what those gizmos were hanging off of Al's Mooney (not that Al)? I'm guessing it was for some sort of cover for his plane.
yes, they were snap posts for an old cover, now they are just parasite drag. Brian Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made it back just fine!  Even made the going away party/wedding party (low key) that my wife wanted me at - I had let her know that I may not be there if the weather didn't clear out.

I shot the GPS A approach into GAI after circumventing the weather.  Flew to the Lancaster VOR on an IFR plan and then flew west just a bit more by deviation prior to cutting South behind the the weather.  Worked out well.  My outs were to land and any of the airports to the north (lancaster, york, etc) and let the weather clear out before continuing home.

They actually broke up better than I thought they would.  Often, the storms die down for 15 minutes and a new batch takes their place.

Great to see everyone - sorry I got there so late!  Thanks for hosting!

And I got to meet the parrot!!

-Seth

Made it back just fine!  Even made the going away party/wedding party (low key) that my wife wanted me at - I had let her know that I may not be there if the weather didn't clear out.

I shot the GPS A approach into GAI after circumventing the weather.  Flew to the Lancaster VOR on an IFR plan and then flew west just a bit more by deviation prior to cutting South behind the the weather.  Worked out well.  My outs were to land and any of the airports to the north (lancaster, york, etc) and let the weather clear out before continuing home.

They actually broke up better than I thought they would.  Often, the storms die down for 15 minutes and a new batch takes their place.

Great to see everyone - sorry I got there so late!  Thanks for hosting!

And I got to meet the parrot!!

-Seth

You had us worried there Seth! Almost sent the parrot out looking for you ;)

A lot of people stayed in because of the weather, we may try to do some thing else later in the summer. We spend a lot of time hanging at the airport when it's nice and usually have 3-4 picnics a yr. admittedly some of them are very impromptu.

Brian  

I agree Brian. The weather was iffy from the start and shortened the event. It's a shame we couldn't have moved it to Mother's Day. The weather was beautiful.

As for the impromptu events, a couple of days notice should be enough for a few more people to come out. Your location is good and it is easy to get to.

Sent using Tapatalk