Fly Canada

Guest Anonymous

Found it:

From http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/canada/can02.html:

Overflight (Canada)

U.S. and Canadian Customs regulations permit aircraft to overfly the respective countries and return to the original country of departure without reporting to Customs. Examples of this might be a flight from Detroit to Buffalo or St. John's to Montreal, during which you overfly foreign territory but do not land. A VFR or IFR flight plan is required for every flight crossing the U.S./Canada border. A notation of "Canadian or U.S. Overflight, No Landing" is recommended in the "Remarks" block of the flight plan form.

You will also have to comply with the U.S. requirement for a Mode A and C transponder (or a waiver) and for prior contact with a U.S. ATC facility prior to crossing the border. Failure to do this will likely result in interception.

From NAV CANADA Customer Guide to Charges.

The Enroute Charge does not apply to flights between two points in the United States other than:

… (non-relavent part omitted);

• A flight to or from Alaska by aircraft weighing more than 200 metric tonnes and transiting Canadian-controlled airspace;

… (non-relavent part omitted);

I just did this by overflying Maine on two trips between Quebec and New Brunswick. Flight following is required and each nation has a different approach to squawk codes.  You must be in contact with the "receiving" Centre before you cross the border.  The one you are in before you cross will help you with the frequencies. 

The "receiving" Centre will give you a new squawk code and you are on your way. 

Good luck.  Hope your experience is as bureaucraticly uneventful as mine was.

Crossing the border shot below.  Talking to Boston Centre, who handed me off to Montreal Centre, who had me change my squawk code about 15 miles before I crossed the actual border.  This picture was taken about 3 minutes later, while still in US airspace.

The border between Quebec (Canada) and Maine (y'all) is the black line on the display.

post-356-13468138328235_thumb.jpg